dds__@hotmail.com

Will the game eventually become a zombie survival game?

Or do you predict it will remain mostly a PvP-fest with a splash of beans and zombies on the side?

While I'm enjoying the PvP portion now, I could enjoy that in a myriad of other games. It would be nice if DayZ somehow got back to the zombie survival feeling. It will be interesting to see how the game develops in the various patches.

Not enjoying the survival aspect enough? Heres a two step solution to bring back the survival portion of DayZ and rejuvenate the game all over again!

1. Esc

2. Respawn

Have fun!

You want to die in a interesting way run down the coast helping newly spawned players with some food and drinks.

I hope so. It should be an open-world zombie apocalypse survival simulation, but it feels more on the fringe of being an open-world PVP deathmatch FPS game with added loot and zombies in the background.

Recent changes are encouraging though, as they seem geared at shifting the focus back on survival instead of PVP deathmatching.

i hope so but the way things are going now it doesnt look likely. i think the developers are set on making call of duty sandbox with some zombies in some places.

i hope so but the way things are going now it doesnt look likely. i think the developers are set on making call of duty sandbox with some zombies in some places.

mad

It's the actual interesting design challenge. Making co-operative play productive or giving an end-game goal, keeping the PK element under control without totally removing the threat of it and making zombies threatening without making the new player experience punitive.

It's still early days though, but an interesting foundation to experiment with answers to the above.

I like that the developers have been making zombies much harder, but I don't think it'll ever shift. It's not the game's fault, it's the player's fault. It's the type of mindset that most people have in a video game nowadays. See someone, shoot him. If you don't think like that then it's generally: see someone, "Oh boy I'll troll him hard and kill him."

I always try to help people when I can, but I haven't really made it that far yet :P.

To be fair to the game itself though, there really isn't too much to do once you've gotten a sniper rifle other than kill players. I really don't think bandits themselves are the problem. There are only a select few people who have sniper rifles on each server because they are so rare, and as a community, we can know with 95% certainty where they are (airfield, Stary Sobor, etc). It's the fact that as soon as a new player gets a gun they just want to go around and kill everybody. And as soon as the innocent naive player is killed by one of them, he then becomes paranoid and is forced to kill everyone he sees for fear of being attacked again. It's a never ending cycle of fear that causes everyone to not trust each other and feel the need to shoot first and ask questions later.

The only way to fix that is to make some kind of better marking for bandits, like how there used to be skins. I honestly don't even know why they were removed in the first place. Somehow, we have to show the players that killing each other isn't the option. Banditry is fun, I understand it, and I can support it. They are generally in small numbers and easy to avoid. It's the beginner players who ruin the fun for everyone else.

I don't think the mod, in it's current stage, is a million miles away from it's true intended gameplay.

No other end-game, no consequences, lots of guns... yeah, it's not surprising.

That said it doesn't take too many PK players to drag the game to their preferred style of play. Those guys are dedicated and will invest surprising amounts of time as long as they can make some noob cry / quit.

tbh I would like to think there is room for both types of gameplay, isn't that what a sandbox is? Choosing your own style of play and the game allowing you to indulge in that, theres no reason the two cant coexist. PvP is another element to survive.

wtb zombie hordes.

Honestly nothing would add more fear to the game than the possibility of 100 zombies lurking about.

It's simply too easy to deal with zombies right now when you know where they all are and how many there'll be. It has nothing to do with the individual strength of zombies, it is that players can PREPARE for it because it's a completely known, measurable threat.

Imagine getting into a firefight in Cherno only to attract a horde that happened to be wandering by. That's the fucking game I want to play.

• Like 2

I think its a survival game 100%. Sure other players will wanna kill you but you gotta make sure your the one on top. Not being followed, make sure you are stocked up with food, water and ammo and haul up somewhere. First time I've got a character to day 2 and all I have done is be a team player with my friends.

Those that think that this a death match, well think about it if this was real life. You would come across those that would hurt others, you would find other ppl trying to survive. I believe so far this game is as much as a simulator then the other zombie Sims out there.

There are a few ways to combat this issue.

1) The removal or significant limiting of weapons. Removal is a bit extreme, I understand. However, limiting both weapon availability and choice would make the game less PvP-intensive. The fact that a player can simply grab a sniper rifle and troll off of a building in Cherno like it was designed for that is pretty odd. To balance out the lack of weapons, you could add other features, other implementations. More miscellaneous items.

2) More abundant, aggressive zombies. This is an incredibly interesting topic of contrast. Players cry and moan about zombies being too easy, you make them harder and they cry and moan about zombies being too hard. You want a challenge? You want a simulator? Make them harder. That doesn't mean making them unrealistic, as in hearing you through concrete walls when you're prone. But it means making them more deadly when they DO attack, e.g. spreading infections, breaking bones more often. Additionally, making MORE zombies is a great idea once FPS / optimization issues have been fixed. Roaming hordes of zombies is an excellent idea, and a great way to really increase player immersion and perception - if you know there's 30+ zombie hordes roaming around that could strike at any moment, you're going to be more alert, more careful, and more ready to play.

The most unfortunate thing about this game is the PK'ing. Occasionally I'll get into firefights or melee fights that require killing another players, or equally as often being killed myself. PK'ing and PvP invites extremely immature crowds. Immature doesn't mean young, it just means immature. The thought of PvP is often attractive to people who enjoy having fun at other people's expense, even in real life. It also is a void to fill in people's lives that think they're funny or comical. There are a lot of negative traits associated with people, psychologically, that are attracted to PvP and the trolling of people. In a competitive PvP game, that is one thing. In a survival zombie game like this, where PvP isn't the focus, but pissing people off is a possibility, you get a LOT of douche bags. Many of them have streams / Youtube feeds, and other immature idiots log on and like/comment on it. It's a pretty funny crowd to watch. Most of these goatee-bearing, 20-something 30-something year old, mountain dew-drinking, massive headphone-wearing guys are pretty annoying outside the games as well from what I have experienced.

There are a lot of negative traits associated with people' date=' psychologically, that are attracted to PvP and the trolling of people. In a competitive PvP game, that is one thing. In a survival zombie game like this, where PvP isn't the focus, but pissing people off is a possibility, you get a LOT of douche bags. Many of them have streams / Youtube feeds, and other immature idiots log on and like/comment on it. It's a pretty funny crowd to watch. Most of these goatee-bearing, 20-something 30-something year old, mountain dew-drinking, massive headphone-wearing guys are pretty annoying outside the games as well from what I have experienced.

[/quote']

PvP is as much a focus of the game as PvE, if not more so. I don't understand how PvE players can draw the line as to what everyone in the sandbox SHOULD be doing. The narrative I get out of DayZ is the same as The Road -- that HUMANS would be your greatest threat after an apocalypse.

Your description also reads as spiteful & malicious. I'm sure there are just as many neckbeard PvE'ers as PvP'ers -- it's not surprising when you think of how sedentary gaming is. In fact if we had a pic thread I think you'd find most PvP'ers are just normal people.

Would you say Ultima Online was also not focused on PvP?

• Like 1

All you have to do is make it so it takes 30 seconds to Disconnect or your body stay in the game if they alt f4 for 30 seconds. People wont so brazingly agro zombies and DC in buildings anymore and will treat ZED with respect.

All you have to do is make it so it takes 30 seconds to Disconnect or your body stay in the game if they alt f4 for 30 seconds. People wont so brazingly agro zombies and DC in buildings anymore and will treat ZED with respect.

Yea this is a really important change -- I've no clue why rocket had avatars persist for only 5 seconds after disconnect, it's completely useless.

The zombies just need some fine tuning which rocket is doing but that one fix will bring about much needed balance for them. Reason why people are saying they're to easy is because they're abusing DC.

I like the penalty for disconnecting idea, as well as #2 from GoblinShark. It would be interesting to see how PvE servers would turn out. There would definitely be a lot more coop going on, that's for sure.

There are a few ways to combat this issue.

1) The removal or significant limiting of weapons. Removal is a bit extreme' date=' I understand. However, limiting both weapon availability and choice would make the game less PvP-intensive. The fact that a player can simply grab a sniper rifle and troll off of a building in Cherno like it was designed for that is pretty odd. To balance out the lack of weapons, you could add other features, other implementations. More miscellaneous items.

2) More abundant, aggressive zombies. This is an incredibly interesting topic of contrast. Players cry and moan about zombies being too easy, you make them harder and they cry and moan about zombies being too hard. You want a challenge? You want a simulator? Make them harder. That doesn't mean making them unrealistic, as in hearing you through concrete walls when you're prone. But it means making them more deadly when they DO attack, e.g. spreading infections, breaking bones more often. Additionally, making MORE zombies is a great idea once FPS / optimization issues have been fixed. Roaming hordes of zombies is an excellent idea, and a great way to really increase player immersion and perception - if you know there's 30+ zombie hordes roaming around that could strike at any moment, you're going to be more alert, more careful, and more ready to play.

The most unfortunate thing about this game is the PK'ing. Occasionally I'll get into firefights or melee fights that require killing another players, or equally as often being killed myself. PK'ing and PvP invites extremely immature crowds. Immature doesn't mean young, it just means immature. The thought of PvP is often attractive to people who enjoy having fun at other people's expense, even in real life. It also is a void to fill in people's lives that think they're funny or comical. There are a lot of negative traits associated with people, psychologically, that are attracted to PvP and the trolling of people. In a competitive PvP game, that is one thing. In a survival zombie game like this, where PvP isn't the focus, but pissing people off is a possibility, you get a LOT of douche bags. Many of them have streams / Youtube feeds, and other immature idiots log on and like/comment on it. It's a pretty funny crowd to watch. Most of these goatee-bearing, 20-something 30-something year old, mountain dew-drinking, massive headphone-wearing guys are pretty annoying outside the games as well from what I have experienced.

[/quote']

Yes all pvpers must be "immature" douche bags. Yet you're the one sounding all pompous and high and mighty. "OH IT IS SIMPLE BENEATH ME AND BARBAROUS TO PARTAKE IN SUCH UNCOUTH CONFLICT". I like how you continue to be QUITE THE FUCKING DOUCHE BAG YOURSELF when you decide to label and reticule gamers in their 20s-30s.

I'm honestly not sure at this point if you're a woman or just a dandy but this mod takes place in a dark and brutal world. If you can't appreciate the struggle to survive in it and indulge yourself in the idea that you're going to die then you're not going to have any fun. This mod i feel covers everyones play style which is a GREAT THING, I don't understand why people like you want to Pigeon hole the game into something ITS NOT.

Also, take your psuedo general pysch college class level babble bullshit elsewhere you're just a common D-bag & no better than anyone else. Also lose the self righteous patronizing tunnel vision attitude.

There are a lot of negative traits associated with people' date=' psychologically, that are attracted to PvP and the trolling of people. In a competitive PvP game, that is one thing. In a survival zombie game like this, where PvP isn't the focus, but pissing people off is a possibility, you get a LOT of douche bags. Many of them have streams / Youtube feeds, and other immature idiots log on and like/comment on it. It's a pretty funny crowd to watch. Most of these goatee-bearing, 20-something 30-something year old, mountain dew-drinking, massive headphone-wearing guys are pretty annoying outside the games as well from what I have experienced.

[/quote']

PvP is as much a focus of the game as PvE, if not more so. I don't understand how PvE players can draw the line as to what everyone in the sandbox SHOULD be doing. The narrative I get out of DayZ is the same as The Road -- that HUMANS would be your greatest threat after an apocalypse.

Your description also reads as spiteful & malicious. I'm sure there are just as many neckbeard PvE'ers as PvP'ers -- it's not surprising when you think of how sedentary gaming is. In fact if we had a pic thread I think you'd find most PvP'ers are just normal people.

Would you say Ultima Online was also not focused on PvP?

I would definitely argue that it is not "more so." If anything, an even split, but I do not think that PvP is the primary or leading focus for that matter. PvE players don't draw the line, but they are inherently at a disadvantage. I myself am a PvP'er, which judging by the offensive and aggressive tone of my last post, you may find ironic. But mainly, I was trying to shed light on the aggressive trolling of most PvP'ers, not not merely the act of PvP itself.

Players starting unarmed in a post-apocalyptic zombie environment, and having to forage through towns accumulating gear against players that are camping with NVG's and a sniper rifle with a 12x zoom that are killing them merely to show off a ticker count to their "bros," is not PvP, not in its lowest sense.

I Ultima Onlije is a different story, but I understand where you are going with it.

In regards to pic threads, you can find them on most any significant or deeply rooted gaming community. And actually, many of the trolling and offensive players have a unique level of asshole to their look that "normal" or less offensive players don't possess.

I myself am a fully sleeved, back tattoo, 6'2 service member, I possess plenty of traits to be categorically branded as a PvP'er, asshole, troll, what may you. But I enjoy letting other players have fun too. We're all playing and competing together here, it's a developing community.

Yes all pvpers must be "immature" douche bags. Yet you're the one sounding all pompous and high and mighty. "OH IT IS SIMPLE BENEATH ME AND BARBAROUS TO PARTAKE IN SUCH UNCOUTH CONFLICT". I like how you continue to be QUITE THE FUCKING DOUCHE BAG YOURSELF when you decide to label and reticule gamers in their 20s-30s.

I'm honestly not sure at this point if you're a woman or just a dandy but this mod takes place in a dark and brutal world. If you can't appreciate the struggle to survive in it and indulge yourself in the idea that you're going to die then you're not going to have any fun. This mod i feel covers everyones play style which is a GREAT THING' date=' I don't understand why people like you want to Pigeon hole the game into something ITS NOT.

Also, take your psuedo general pysch college class level babble bullshit elsewhere you're just a common D-bag & no better than anyone else. Also lose the self righteous patronizing tunnel vision attitude.

[/quote']

I like you.

Honestly the game is all about survival, the way people treat each other is spot on. There's a definite feeling of distrust and fear among the community which is perfect for a post-apocalyptic setting where the few survivors are desperately grasping at what little remains.

I find it ridiculously hard to believe that there is RAMPANT snipers shooting noobs on the beaches or cherno/electro. Im sure there are a few happenings on some servers but nothing to the degree people make it out to be.

I have never been killed by a sniper in electro or cherno day or night across many servers. Not syaing it doesnt happen, i just dont think it occurs to that kind of drastic level considering sniper rifles are hard to come by let alone ammo for them especially when they fix the DC ammo replenish bug. Also, the closer they're to electro and cherno the higher the risk someone comes up behind them and puts a einfield round in their head or someone counter snipes them. <-- happens just about as often.

Honestly the game is all about survival' date=' the way people treat each other is spot on. There's a definite feeling of distrust and fear among the community which is perfect for a post-apocalyptic setting where the few survivors are desperately grasping at what little remains.

[/quote']

It's not. Its about killing anyone you see, as soon as you see them. There is no feeling of distrust or fear. You already know they are going to shoot you if they get the chance. There is no uncertainty. There are only the deathmatch players and the people that are on skype with their predetermined group.