Katabasis

1st Person Only - Light RP Server (Mature Community)

Howdy all!!  I run a server that focuses on growing a community for the purposes of continual, persistent light roleplaying.  This does NOT mean no KOS nor does it mean roleplaying is required.  My main goal is to bring together people who know that dayz is more than just TDM, combat logging, server hopping, shit talking, kiddie-ville zombie sim.  There are essentially two different ways many of us are playing light rp.  The first is to have a continual character who persists after death.  This character would have goals, eccentricities, rationales for actions, likes, dislikes, etc.  They then interact with the people they come upon based off this background.  The other way many are playing on the server is to allow each character to have their own individual life and upon death they create a new person and a new background.

Either way, some people group up with others for a common goal and others go between solo and group play based on current ideologies and goals.  For example, I am the Sheriff of Berezino.  Even when I die, the character that spawns is the current sheriff.  I have several deputies and we all patrol Berezino, kill bandits and murders, aid new spawns and friendlies, and clear zombies to make the city livable.  Other groups may be opposed to this and may come and have run-ins with us based on their own goals (territory, loot, ego, etc).

I really want the server to be like a mini-EVE online where allegiances shift, wars are waged and ended, political intrigue runes wild, you know what I mean.  Sky is the limit.  The only rules so far for the server is that you respect others even after ingame conflict (this is dayz .. we all die ... if you cant handle a death dont play the game - some people will be friendly one day and be an ax murderer the next) and also no racism/discrimination.

In teamspeak, you must be 18+, show respect to your fellow gamers, and not be racist or discriminatory.  Teamspeak is open to all.

Server IP: 173.199.86.106:2302

Teamspeak IP: ts5.gameservers.com:9143 (include the colon 9143 or it will not work)

Twitch: www.twitch.tv/katabasis

Current Youtube vids of the Sheriff can be found here and will give you an idea of what I personally mean when I say "light" RP...your definition may be different and you are welcome to RP however you want on the server - http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/163031-stop-im-the-sheriff-of-berezino-we-need-to-talk-vids/

This link is to our community discussion about all things relevant to RP, Dayz, and the server - http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/161991-light-rp-community-growth-private-server-discussion/

Hope to see you on!! I am about to go live and stream on it now. 

P.S - I make no money off twitch or youtube. . . the server is completely funded by donations.  IF you want to donate towards the server find the donate now link on my twitch page and thanks a ton . . . DayZ servers are very expensive :(

As soon as I can make it private hive I will.  Not sure how to do it tho and there is not much help on gameserver's site yet.

• Like 1

As soon as I can make it private hive I will.  Not sure how to do it tho and there is not much help on gameserver's site yet.

Not possible, yet. But if you choose to run it on the hardcore variant, you will see that the hardcore version is running on a different hvie than the normal version.

Not possible, yet. But if you choose to run it on the hardcore variant, you will see that the hardcore version is running on a different hvie than the normal version.

Ya it will be hardcore I guess ASAP. Currently gameservers are being bad server hosts and I can't even make my server 1st person only.

Okay. Server is now set to daytime noon and is now hardcore hive and 1st person only. Turns out I'm a moron and gameservers was fine....user error.

I posted this on the Facebook page but thought it should be here as well.

So let's talk about the future of the dayz server. Our personal goals, what we all want it to look like, and what we get enjoyment out of (this also means viewer enjoyment from the stream so even if you don't play your opinion is important). I'll go first but in no way am I saying that this is what will happen.

We have several options. We are currently very limited in the control we have over server specifics like banning, whitelisting/private environment, etc. We can however do things in many different ways. I see a few key ones being most popular but am very open to other ideas.

1 - roleplay centered. This would be what we currently have. People have backstories, they interact at their own comfort level, stories perpetuate, fun is had. This seems to be on a more individual basis with small encounters. Current dayz game mechanics makes this kind of play difficult with random players and casual players. This also can give the illusion of th server being a no-KOS server thus limiting our actual combat fun.

2 - clan/group centered. This is the default community of dayz IMO. Groups form and have no backstories, operate on their own goals but typically this is limited to resource hording then large scale combat and then back to hording. Can be very fun but also kind of lacks end game potential and creativity. The game currently supports this much more than #1.

3 - a hybrid of 1 and 2. This would de-emphasize the individual stories of 1 but give purpose and depth to 2. Individual stories can persist beyond allegiances and can even function as reasons or evidence to support invasions, political intrigue, conflicts on a larger scale, or more. This lets the people who prefer 1 cohabitate with 2. Essentially view this option as the EVE system with added RP elements like group/clan backstories, goals, and depth. Examples could be merc groups, assassin groups, mad max style gangs controlling roadways, roaming bounty hunters, military groups, hermits, medics, scientists, etc. They would interact on a larger scale than scenario 1 would allow but some of the depth and creativity of 1 may be lost in the gameplay elements of 2 such as higher KOS (until you learned where not to travel or how to tell different groups apart), less in character talk/storytelling, etc. This style is moderately supported currently ingame tho the random new players may be confused until they learn the ropes.

This would be my personal favorite but again, my opinion doesn't matter. I need thoughts from the community since the happier we all are, the more fun we have in game.

Hey, Kata. I just wanted to say thanks for hosting your server. It is one of the few hardcore servers that has 40 slots, and also has a good population (very important). Most importantly, it's not some sort of loot cycling server. Also, I am very close to Los Angeles, so I have a great ping.

I prefer #2 or #3 much more than #1. I believe in a SHTF scenario like DayZ that gangs/groups would naturally form, and  dominate the land. Therefore, I would love if most players belonged to some sort of group, and tried to control certain parts of the map through violence or agreements with other groups. 

I was a big supporter of public hives for the mod (I ran a public hardcore server). But, unless Rocket implements a very tough system to thwart ghosters, combat loggers, and server hopping loot spawners, I will most likely switch to a private hive server for SA ASAP. Private hives also solve the issue of players making their camps on low population servers (to keep them safe), while they play on high population servers. I would be very surprised if that ever gets fixed. I like the idea of private hives locking players to the server. There is a better chance of forming a community, and achieving my desire of warring groups. 

One issue that the mod had that SA also has is too few players spread over too many servers. That should improve some once loot starts respawning (less hopping), but it will still be an issue (especially once servers are allowed 150 players). I want to play with the most amount of players (more danger and interaction). If you want to have a large population, you will have to find a way to stand out. This thread is a good step in the right direction. All of us players on the server need to spread the word about this server to keep it alive and growing. It would be great if we could get some groups to make this their home server ASAP.

Hey, Kata. I just wanted to say thanks for hosting your server. It is one of the few hardcore servers that has 40 slots, and also has a good population (very important). Most importantly, it's not some sort of loot cycling server. Also, I am very close to Los Angeles, so I have a great ping.

I prefer #2 or #3 much more than #1. I believe in a SHTF scenario like DayZ that gangs/groups would naturally form, and  dominate the land. Therefore, I would love if most players belonged to some sort of group, and tried to control certain parts of the map through violence or agreements with other groups. 

I was a big supporter of public hives for the mod (I ran a public hardcore server). But, unless Rocket implements a very tough system to thwart ghosters, combat loggers, and server hopping loot spawners, I will most likely switch to a private hive server for SA ASAP. Private hives also solve the issue of players making their camps on low population servers (to keep them safe), while they play on high population servers. I would be very surprised if that ever gets fixed. I like the idea of private hives locking players to the server. There is a better chance of forming a community, and achieving my desire of warring groups. 

One issue that the mod had that SA also has is too few players spread over too many servers. That should improve some once loot starts respawning (less hopping), but it will still be an issue (especially once servers are allowed 150 players). I want to play with the most amount of players (more danger and interaction). If you want to have a large population, you will have to find a way to stand out. This thread is a good step in the right direction. All of us players on the server need to spread the word about this server to keep it alive and growing. It would be great if we could get some groups to make this their home server ASAP.

I pretty much agree with everything. Two main things - 1: the server will 100% be private hive ASAP. 2: this is a community driven thing. The community together is paying for it, not just me, and the community drives player involvement through interactions on the server and word of mouth. I'd love to have the server at max server slots all the time (sky is the limit) though thus will always be directly tied to donation amounts. No clue if we will need to whitelist. I doubt it after private hives become available.

Update:  Server is currently set to a 7am start.  This means its early morning and we get to watch the sun rise.  I find that changing the time every couple weeks really makes the game a bit more enjoyable.  The next time shift will possibly include a bit of dusk, maybe an hours worth of light darkness just to give everyone a feel for the dark.  of course if people dont like it i will change it.

So myself and a few others have been wondering about the validity of having a server currently with the way Dayz is functioning.  Currently it seems like if the server isn't full or close to it, most of our community is playing on other servers (which is fine).  I am debating whether we need a server at all at this point in time if we are functioning on other servers for the vast majority of our playtime.  I personally have only played on our server but I have been running into few players since the server population is so low. 

The other thing we have be thinking about is the fact that there isnt much for a roleplay group to function around yet.  Beyond forced interactions of story, backgrounds, etc., there doesnt seem to be any endgame systems in place such as camps, a truly indepth medic system, etc.  So there is no need for much player or group interaction.  No requirement to have many resources etc.  Anyone can find a gun/food/meds in a short amount of time and then proceed to do whatever they want. 

At some point these things will change.  The game will get more permanent systems in place to aid in engame content (and player made content), the health system will be more complex than "eat beans till I am full health/use a splint" and resources will actually have a meaning (then owning a city will be lucrative and also something to fight over).  Without these systems in place I am beginning to doubt if a light RP community can really thrive. 

The community will continue to grow but maybe we chose another server as a home.  I have done absolutely zero in regards to server managmeent (because there has been no need as well as no ability, I have no options I can chose as server admin to really enact any change to the game, nor should I).  So it isnt like we are gaining any real benefit from having our own controllable server.  Currently we have the server until March 11th.  I have not gotten any donations towards paying off the server past March 11th so it isnt like if we decide to not have a server I have to refund people (if I had to I certainly would). 

Thoughts?  What are we gaining by having our own server that we wouldnt get from just declaring ARC as our primary home?  In the future we would revisit the issue of course once things like private hives/tents/player fortifications are in.

So the server is gone now Kata? It says "PHC Group Server please do not join" or some such...

Howdy all!!  I run a server that focuses on growing a community for the purposes of continual, persistent light roleplaying.  This does NOT mean no KOS nor does it mean roleplaying is required.  My main goal is to bring together people who know that dayz is more than just TDM, combat logging, server hopping, shit talking, kiddie-ville zombie sim.  There are essentially two different ways many of us are playing light rp.  The first is to have a continual character who persists after death.  This character would have goals, eccentricities, rationales for actions, likes, dislikes, etc.  They then interact with the people they come upon based off this background.  The other way many are playing on the server is to allow each character to have their own individual life and upon death they create a new person and a new background.

Either way, some people group up with others for a common goal and others go between solo and group play based on current ideologies and goals.  For example, I am the Sheriff of Berezino.  Even when I die, the character that spawns is the current sheriff.  I have several deputies and we all patrol Berezino, kill bandits and murders, aid new spawns and friendlies, and clear zombies to make the city livable.  Other groups may be opposed to this and may come and have run-ins with us based on their own goals (territory, loot, ego, etc).

I really want the server to be like a mini-EVE online where allegiances shift, wars are waged and ended, political intrigue runes wild, you know what I mean.  Sky is the limit.  The only rules so far for the server is that you respect others even after ingame conflict (this is dayz .. we all die ... if you cant handle a death dont play the game - some people will be friendly one day and be an ax murderer the next) and also no racism/discrimination.

In teamspeak, you must be 18+, show respect to your fellow gamers, and not be racist or discriminatory.  Teamspeak is open to all.

Server IP: 173.199.86.106:2302

Teamspeak IP: ts5.gameservers.com:9143 (include the colon 9143 or it will not work)

Twitch: www.twitch.tv/katabasis

Current Youtube vids of the Sheriff can be found here and will give you an idea of what I personally mean when I say "light" RP...your definition may be different and you are welcome to RP however you want on the server - http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/163031-stop-im-the-sheriff-of-berezino-we-need-to-talk-vids/

This link is to our community discussion about all things relevant to RP, Dayz, and the server - http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/161991-light-rp-community-growth-private-server-discussion/

Hope to see you on!! I am about to go live and stream on it now. 

P.S - I make no money off twitch or youtube. . . the server is completely funded by donations.  IF you want to donate towards the server find the donate now link on my twitch page and thanks a ton . . . DayZ servers are very expensive :(

Hey, I went to your Teamspeak channel,and it sent me to a random Teamspeak channel with two people. It was very odd. I didn't think girls even knew what the introllnet was.

We have a new ts now but have stopped playing dayz for a while. There just isn't enough sand in the sand box for RP currently. It's getting there. I'm not at my computer to find the ts address but if you go to www.twitch.tv/Katabasis and then click the link for my Facebook and you can see the post that has the new address.

• Like 1

We have a new ts now but have stopped playing dayz for a while. There just isn't enough sand in the sand box for RP currently. It's getting there. I'm not at my computer to find the ts address but if you go to www.twitch.tv/Katabasis and then click the link for my Facebook and you can see the post that has the new address.

Thanks for letting us know Kata!! :thumbsup:  Will check it out! Hope to see you again in DayZ soon! (maybe for the hunting patch at the end of April) Do you play some DayZ mod?? There's lots of RP possibilities with all the different missions/maps.

Take care my friend! Have a good one!   :beans: