Sign in to follow this  
medium00rare

ACOG Zoom

Has anyone else noticed that the acog sight zooms nowhere near 4x?

Edited by medium00rare
  • Like 1

Yea this is true for all the optics, they simply  do not have the right system in place or simply do not care that the game is authentic or not.

It only zooms 1-9/16 times, bit less than 1.6 power. Who knows why.

• Like 2

Who knows why.

Alpha?

That's most likely the reason, but ill ask for you guys.

We are so early buildwise I would expect it to change IMHO.

Ill try and find out for you in the next day or so.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Currently the only way to get "4x Zoom" on your ACOG sight is to mess with your FOV settings, but that would be lame.

It is 4 x one third plus a bit more of your normal vision when slightly squinting whilst running uphill. So in reality it is perfect.

Alpha?

Rgds

LoK

Glad to hear it, I'm curious to know the reason why.

I would really like to see the game portray the zoom on scopes only through the scope lens, and not causing your players whole FOV to compensate by zooming in also. Sure, it may be hard as the game has to render both views, but it's just something that would be nice to see more often in a game.

It only zooms 1-9/16 times, bit less than 1.6 power. Who knows why.

Gews has 4000 posts and about 25% of them are this post haha. I think you have posted this 1000 times. :thumbsup:

Hope they fix it at some point.

• Like 1

Glad to hear it, I'm curious to know the reason why.

I'm sure it's because it's alpha and there are other things that are taking priority than the zoom in feature of any attachments. 

Alpha?

Rgds

LoK

while you're there, could you ask about the PU scope aswell? 

It is 4 x one third plus a bit more of your normal vision when slightly squinting whilst running uphill. So in reality it is perfect.

You mean walking very slowly upill whilst being shot, right?

• Like 1

zoom.jpg

This is not how zoom is measured.

Zoom = magnification ABOVE your maximum default eyesight. You maximum default eyesight remains the same in DayZ as it did in ARMA.

rv8q5d6.png

Example of how scope zoom is measured:

EsRRZbh.png

The M68 is non-magnified and is a true 1x zoom. It's the only optic with correct zoom.

The iron sights actually zoom LESS than your normal eyesight zooms. They are only 0.71x.

The ACOG zooms 1.5625x more than your default eyesight.

I detailed this in the thread "the Campaign for Iron Sight Zoom".

Taking from your measurements, 4.785/3 = 1.595 =~ 1.5625.

• Like 5

Really? Because I was always led to believe that zoom is anything beyond zero. Zoomed eyesight is the equivalent to squinting at a far object.

Scopes in real life are measured exactly the way I posted above. If the game measures zoom in a different way, then it is not accurate to real life. You're basically saying that magnification only starts counting after you've already zoomed in on something using eyesight.

Really? Because I was always led to believe that zoom is anything beyond zero. Zoomed eyesight is the equivalent to squinting at a far object.

The zoomed-in level IS zero. It's 1x. Zero, 1x, no magnification, etc.

They let you zoom out because you'd need a massive monitor to be permanently zoomed in, otherwise you'd have an unplayably narrow field of view.

Technically your eyesight is never zooming in at all. Think of it as being permanently zoomed out by default.

Scopes in real life are measured exactly the way I posted above. If the game measures zoom in a different way, then it is not accurate to real life. You're basically saying that magnification only starts counting after you've already zoomed in on something using eyesight.

Eyesight in real life is not eyesight in game.

The ARMA system is "true to real life", that is how all scopes are measured in ARMA 1, 2, 3 and Operation Flashpoint. A 4x scope is 4x more magnification than normal eyesight.

The sudden exception to all this is DayZ standalone.

Everyone's noticing that the PUs and ACOGs "barely zoom" for a reason, it's because they're right, they barely zoom.

So let me get this straight, when you're "zoomed in" with your eyesight, that's 1x.. but when you're running around normally you're considered "zoomed out"?

I'm sorry but that sounds completely wrong. When running around normally, that's 1x magnification. When you "zoom in" with your eyesight, you're magnifying higher than 1x because 1x will ALWAYS be your baseline. That's the definition of 1x, it means you're not zoomed in. At all. No magnification. Whatsoever. When you zoom in with eyesight, you add that to your baseline, you don't make it your new baseline just because you're not using a scope.

You sir need to take a class on how magnification works. 1x will always mean ZERO magnification. When zooming in without a scope, you're MAGNIFYING YOUR SURROUNDINGS from what is considered default. Default in Dayz is not the same as ArmA, they use the same engine, but your default sight is what you run around with. That is considered 1x. You can't zoom in 3x with eaglevision and start calling that 1x and say that scopes need to magnify THAT by another factor of 4.

So let me get this straight, when you're "zoomed in" with your eyesight, that's 1x.. but when you're running around normally you're considered "zoomed out"?

I'm sorry but that sounds completely wrong. When running around normally, that's 1x magnification. When you "zoom in" with your eyesight, you're magnifying higher than 1x because 1x will ALWAYS be your baseline. That's the definition of 1x, it means you're not zoomed in. At all. No magnification. Whatsoever. When you zoom in with eyesight, you add that to your baseline, you don't make it your new baseline just because you're not using a scope.

You sir need to take a class on how magnification works. 1x will always mean ZERO magnification. When zooming in without a scope, you're MAGNIFYING YOUR SURROUNDINGS from what is considered default. Default in Dayz is not the same as ArmA, they use the same engine, but your default sight is what you run around with. That is considered 1x. You can't zoom in 3x with eaglevision and start calling that 1x and say that scopes need to magnify THAT by another factor of 4.

If anything iron sights should be considered 1x zoom in DayZ, because you can't zoom while ADS, making the ACOG just over 2x magnification.

Yep.

I'm sorry but that sounds completely wrong. When running around normally, that's 1x magnification.

It's actually HALF magnification.

You sir need to take a class on how magnification works.

You sir, need to take a class on how ARMA works.

It's not logical for vision to zoom in. That's why vision doesn't ZOOM IN. There is no eagle vision, elf eyes or bionic man, it's just common sense, which is why ARMA has always done scopes that way.

If you wanted scopes to be measured relative to the default "zoomed out" level, they would have to remove the "zoom" ability entirely for it to make any sense, and then you wouldn't see anything past a few yards.

You can ask on the bistudio forums and see what kind of response you get from the ARMA "vets" and the modders who understand how FOV in these games work...

If anything iron sights should be considered 1x zoom in DayZ, because you can't zoom while ADS, making the ACOG just over 2x magnification.

They should be 1x zoom but they're actually only about 70% of 1x zoom. They could fix this by:

[a] reducing players' "zoom" abilities to the same as iron sights or

increasing iron sights to the same as players' zoom abilities

In either case the zooms should be the same whether looking down iron sights or not.

• Like 1

I still don't get why players are allowed to zoom in in the first place. You can't zoom in in real life, why can you in game?

Shouldn't first person vision always stay the same? And only give the scopes ability to zoom.

Edited by Greaves

Is some one actually trying to suggest that your eye zooms in like real life? If you squint in real life things don't get bigger or closer lol. Good work Gews. :thumbsup: