mtclipz

Using Shadowplay with DayZ SA

I have been streaming gameplay to twitch ever since I got my GTX 770.  I have no problems streaming every other game in 1080p with no problems however when trying to activate Shadowplay while in DayZ it just does not work.  The game just freezes for like 10-20 secs and then the indicator pops up in the bottom corner with a red slash through it for a second and goes away.

I see other people on Twitch streaming DayZ SA however I do not know if they are using Shadowplay or something else, but I assume it isn't merely an optimization thing with the game/client itself and there may be something I can do on my end to resolve it.

Anyways, if anyone has had this issue and has been able to fix it, any help is appreciated.

Stream is http://www.twitch.tv/MTclipz (Starts 5pm est) if anyone cares to watch it (Although you will only see BF4 and Dark Souls until I can resolve this!)  Sorry to shamelessly promote this is really about the Shadowplay issue.

Just tried testing out Shadowplay myself a couple days ago, got it recording at about 35-50+ FPS in general. I had the same problem, as for what helped me it was as simple as setting it so steam would run DayZ as Admin. I don't think there's a way around the intense freezing at the startup (at least if there is I don't know of it yet, I can't remember how I managed to get in-game with it :P sorry). There are a lot of other fixes found in the forum I was looking at, I just tried the "run as admin" one first because it seemed like the most simple.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/628255/shadowplay-bf4-not-working/

^ That's the thread that provided troubleshooting help for me.

Good luck and hope this helps.

I have used Shadowplay before in DayZ (works just fine, but theres a hella long delay when alt+tab'ing for some reason).
Now i cannot get it to work, red slash through the logo as well, but no freezing other than when alt+tab.

Doesn't work for me in DayZ. I can get it working using the -winxp launch parameter but then my game will crash if I alt+tab since winxp isn't supported so not a great solution. (I alt tab pretty regularly)

There is a topic on the Nvidia forums where one of the mods said they would file a bug report as well as a few different solutions that have worked for some people.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/660137/geforce-experience/using-shadowplay-in-dayz-standalone

DesmonHume - I have been told off a clan mate that if you get a red cross through it...this is what you do.

Goto your c:\users\username and then my documents, then dayz, in there is a file called dayz. Open this with notepad and in there is an option at the bottom that says windowed=0.

Change this to say windowed=1 and save it.

Run DayZ, This will make DayZ run in windowed mode, and then just press alt + enter to make DayZ fullscreen again. This apparently makes shadowplay work. If you quit DayZ when you are running it in fullscreen, it will change the setting in the above mentioned file back to windowed=0 making Shadowplay not work again.

I would suggest making a shortcut on your desktop the file you edit. then you can quickly change it to windowed=1 whenever you want to use shadowplay. I don't use it myself, but I remembered a clan member mentioning something about it. So I have just asked him to get a temp solution for you.

There may well be another solution out there, but this is the only one he knows of. Hope this is of some use to you man.

Edited by GeordieMarv

Try starting the game in windowed mode with shadowplay turned off.

Turn on Shadowplay when you get into the main menu and then make the game fullscreen again.

Sometimes Shadowplay has problems during the launch of a game, but once the game is launched it is alot easier "hooking" Shadowplay to whichever game.

Same as you, i can't get shadowplay to work if DayZ launches fullscreen, but you "CAN" work around it.

I'd like to give Shadowplay a go, simply because of what Nvidia advertises it to be.

Does anybody know if AMD are making progress into something similar?

-cut-

Hope this is of some use to you man.

Thanks a bunch :) I'll try it next time i will be recording to see if it fixes my alt+tab freeze.

If i find out how to make it work in fullscreen again i will post my solution.

Thanks for the workaround GeordieMarv, ill try it when I get home and post back here.

Yeah I wish Shadowplay didn't completely shut off when you are not in Fullscreen.  Would probably fix alot of these issues when Nvidia is able to support windowed mode for Shadowplay.

I have this issue as well, but a bud of mine does not have problems at all.

I currently have to set windowed=1 to get shadowplay to work, however, I still have a few issues.  For one, it doesn't always work starting in windowed mode (sometimes I still get the red-lined circle), and like others, the game loads really slow.  The other main issue is it seems that for some videos only the top part is displayed and distorted.  I think it has something to do with the time I have set to save when I press Alt+F10.  It seems that if I let the time run past what I have set (20 min) without saving, then the videos are distorted.  I have to regularly save the recordings to get working videos.

it's gotta be something related to either the video card or OS?  I've tested using same vid card and OS but with different cpu, hard drive, ram and mobo.  Currently I'm running with Windows 7, Intel 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Formula, 16GB G.Skill Ram, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD drive and EVGA 780 vid card.  I need to test it on one of my other computers.    For those who are having issues, what are your computer specs?

I use Shadow Play. It works fine for me. It'll record DayZ at 1080p 30fps no problem. It's better than DXTory and FRAPS imo because it doesn't strain the CPU like those two.

I have a GTX 760.