ghua

Currency - what would it be?

If we (players) would have to come up with idea of a currency in the game - what would it be?

I think it should be batteries - every player have on at the beginning and keeps it. Would it encourage more player kills?

I think a barter system would be better.As in "I'll give you x amount of rounds for that scope" or something like that rather than a single currency item. I guess it depends how rare and important something is/becomes

• Like 9

I thought of every item and currency won't work. People will just KOS bambies like nuts if batteries are a currency. So for now if any transactions is to be done it has to be done through batering.

Possibly a couple of new items could be jewlery which has value in of its self and can be sold for items.

I think it would (is) be whatever you need and would trade for, someone needs bullets you need their food thus you trade, etc.

• Like 3

How valuable something something is in DayZ is denoted by how useful it is for your survival. I'd rather have an M4 than 1000 batteries...

• Like 5

With the game as it is (KoS mostly) and no trading facilities with AI I cant see this being useful or doable. I dont think the game needs currency other than the current ability to swap items upon agreement. 

• Like 3

@Zero. Trading csn be done without AI. All you need is a trade option and an interface. Currency can be done by using the some type of "useless" stuff i.e. books, tin canslike in the mod, or other stuff.

But I guess most people than jusr kill for the currency. Killling people for their books to buy a new scope or a large amount if beans.

I think a barter system would be better.As in "I'll give you x amount of rounds for that scope" or something like that rather than a single currency item. I guess it depends how rare and important something is/becomes

Currency will OBVIOUSLY be FRESH FRUIT'S.

Anything that is FRESH.

We make our own currency based on what we need. Iv traded NVG on the mod for a morphine shot before now. Or had a guy give me 400 SAW rounds just for a drink and a meal. We dont need a global currency because there is no store on the map setting the baseline for prices. And there shouldnt be, the world has collapsed, life, and currency, as you know it, are dead :)

• Like 2

beans, rice, ammo, medical supplies.

In most games where the community creates a currency system, most items that provide somewhat lasting benefits usually make their way into the player-made trade system. I would think anything within the current meta that provides these benefits could be made into currency. 

I would encourage you guys to go ahead and think logically about it and offer these things for barter. I traded 3 bags of rice for a short range scope for a mosin once and thought that was relatively fair. 

AB+ bloog bags, beans, ammo, berrys? or gold?

Edited by duke0095

Without some sort of contant (like a state) there is no way any currency would work. I would trade stuff, but we all know some (if not most) people rather kill than trade.

Well, it comes down to players and how they form up their long term communities to decide that.

I reckon something not essential but still valuable could be used, although there is no standard for how much it is worth.

Matches could be used as exchange coin in some areas, while others could be using rags and a standard exchange rate being found, like one rag being worth 3 matches. With "currency" comes organized trade and a common standard value for items.

We still way far from release but who knows... players will shape their own "society" inside their servers, no ? Yes bandits will exist and also organized bounty hunters... and so on... lovely sandbox.

Without some sort of contant (like a state) there is no way any currency would work. I would trade stuff, but we all know some (if not most) people rather kill than trade.

Not necessarily. My group would do trades with others in Dayz Origins. We would have snipers overwatching the situation in case someone decided to be an asshole. Out of about a half dozen or more trades, only 1 guy tried to be a dick and he was killed instantly.

One word- Metro 2033.

Why not make ammo a currency? You would always have the dilemma- to spare it or to deliver it to someone directly?

I remember bank notes are were mentioned in the mod (via a DayZ wiki). 

Let me just say this. I will rob/murder people for their currency only to destroy it.

An actual currency has no place in a post-apocalyptic world. Currencies such as cash and bank notes are only given their value due to the government backing them.

A bartering system is a much more realistic approach to the DayZ economy.

How valuable something something is in DayZ is denoted by how useful it is for your survival. I'd rather have an M4 than 1000 batteries...

but with 1000 batteries your able to hit someone if you throw them. With this M4 in standalone your not able to hit something !!!