LaughingJack (DayZ)

My friend, the psycho

Well to start off, I've played the Mod for quite some time, most time with a friend of mine. In the mod we were...sneaky. We avoided other players, and fought only, when we were in danger.

But in the SA...Well, while I'm still the more friendly guy - I only shoot when I see myself in danger and (in my freinds opinion) I'm to naive to survive long in DayZ because I try to help other players too often and always - he was...well, let's call it the secure type: If he sees an armed guy, that is in voice range, he tells him to put his hands up and stop moving, if the guy runs, he would have let him run, if the guy was out of voice range, my buddy would hide and wait.

That was before we got slaughtered by 5 or 6 guys (we did not even see them - they camped the main street in stary sobor, we managed to get into an house alive after they started shooting, but were taken out, when they stormed it. No bad feelings, was an awesome shootout ;))

But since that time, he changed his playstile...If he sees a guy and tells him to put his hands up, and the guy doesn't do that immediately (and that means within one second) or he moves -  my buddy shoots. If the guy is out of voice range...he shoots. And since he prefers the Mosin with long range scope, it's pretty common that he shoots at others - because he sees them long before they have a chance to see him.

But the worst situation occured yesterday: We looted Novy Sobor on our way to NWAF. As I look into the church, I see a guy sitting in a corner, surrounded by 3 Zeds, punching at them without any effect. He had clearly nothing but the starting gear...how he made it there (without getting anything...) was a mystery.

But I felt pity for the poor guy, so I ran up to him, and killed the Zeds with my axe, he waved at me and started to bandaging himself - he was bleeding like hell.

In that moment my friend looks into the church - bam, and the poor guy is gone. As i looted him I saw that he really had nothing on him - tshirt, jeans, shoes, flashlight and 4 rags.

I asked my friend, why the heck he did that, and he answered: "First, he was dead anyway. He was bleeding out of like 10 wounds. And more important: Now he is just another one, that is no threat to me anymore." Pause. "To us."

I swear, I know this guy for more than 15 years in real life, but that side of him, even only in a videogame, gave me chills. I really expected him to shoot me as soon as I made something suspicious, and I'm not proud of that, but I was really thinking about killing his char, when he would not expect it...

Talking about that with him later that evening resulted in laughter and strange plans how to handle other players in the future, but still...the way DayZ brings out behaviour in people, you'd never think about, amazes me.

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 18

You can spawn in Novy on rare occassions. Is a good spawn point I think, though I'm not sure if they have changed it since the new spawn system. 

Interesting story though! Yes your buddy has slipped over to the dark side ;)

One of the most amazing things about this game is how it can get into your psyche - and that bad experiences can totally rewrite your psychology towards interactions with others. 

Especially when playing the game taking the role as if it were your real self in the apocalyspse and interacting how you personally would. 

Have to wait to see if he starts wanting to torment people and then axe murder them; then you'll know the change is complete lol and then you worry for yourself. Hehe

• Like 3

Yeah, I hooked up with some players early on in my time and by helping them, I managed to get my Hero skin. The team fragmented slightly and I was naive to believe that I would be able to help as many players as possible.

After many attempts, followed by many deaths ... I now avoid all players entirely. A player can be lying in a ditch bleeding and I will give them a wide berth.

Happy to say that I have never killed another player. :)

Edited by novogeek
  • Like 2

Better to be the one doing the shooting than the one being shot at, really.

Yeah, I am playing with my friend too and once after respawn he couldnt find a backpack. He was talking about that backpack all the time, couldnt find it. And then we see a player attacked by zombies, bleeding like a pig. We killed that zombie and I tried to communicate with he wounded guy - he couldnt answer for some reasons (glitch?). And suddenly my friend said: "Look, he has a backpack" and BAM, he hit him with the crowbar.

I have to admit it felt very uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Now he is just another one, that is no threat to me anymore." Pause. "To us."

That argument is invalid. Why? Because there are respawns. Killing someone, particularly someone who doesn't have any weapons - doesn't make him or her less of a threat, since he or she will just respawn.

So that's the worst argument someone could possibly use in that situation.

You do realise that there's only one thing for you to do right? Put him down like a dog, after all... he might be a threat to you in the long run, particularly since he's the one thinking everyone else is a threat and will sooner or later see you as a threat so it would be better to just raise that gun and put a bullet in the back of his skull when he least expects it. Seriously though, you should... just because it will be fun as hell when you do.

... put a bullet in the back of his skull when he least expects it. Seriously though, you should... just because it will be fun as hell when you do.

Well, in that case you could lose your friend ;) I KNOW I would remember that :)

"Look, he has a backpack" and BAM, he hit him with the crowbar.

It was the most humane thing to do, he was wounded. Really it's just like when your dog gets old and you take it out back with a brick in hand.

That argument is invalid. Why? Because there are respawns. Killing someone, particularly someone who doesn't have any weapons - doesn't make him or her less of a threat, since he or she will just respawn.

Ah well, if you are in novy and kill someone you can be quite sure (I thought) that you will be far away by the time he respawned and made his way back there...and most likely you'll never see him again - and if, he won't recognise you...

You do realise that there's only one thing for you to do right? Put him down like a dog, after all... he might be a threat to you in the long run, particularly since he's the one thinking everyone else is a threat and will sooner or later see you as a threat so it would be better to just raise that gun and put a bullet in the back of his skull when he least expects it. Seriously though, you should... just because it will be fun as hell when you do.

Exactly my thoughts ("and I'm not proud of that, but I was really thinking about killing his char, when he would not expect it...")

But there are two things that keep me away from doing this:

1) Not my style ;) I now its silly but...yeah just not how I play it. I trust people (more than I should) and believe in them (for sure, more than I should ;))

2) He is a vengeful SOAB XD

But losing him...nah, he would rage and spend the next days searching and killing my char again and again but that's it ;)

It was the most humane thing to do, he was wounded. Really it's just like when your dog gets old and you take it out back with a brick in hand.

With a BRICK? Woah kocot you are some strange guy^^

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 3

In my experience so far, about 90% of the players ive encountered have been friendly.. but about 80% of the people I find are new spawns lol

This. I am a newer player and have hardly seen any geared up guys. the few times I have, I ran and didn't stick around to find out if they were nice or not. If I see new players needing help, I'll help out the best I can. I'm sure it will end in my death at some point.

the few times I have, I ran and didn't stick around to find out if they were nice or not.

That is smart tactic. if you live long enought you will get some gear and you will be the one others are afraid of :)

I've spawned in Novy and immediately been set upon by 3-4 Zeds as the area hadn't been cleared of them. Suffice to say, I died pretty quickly.

As for your friend? Bullet to the back of his head. It's for everyone's safety.  ;)

• Like 1

With a BRICK? Woah kocot you are some strange guy^^

Better strange than sorry.

well i do agree with this but not for the reason as to why to do it.

if i was you i would kill him. your friend is behaving like a douche out of pure paranoia to the point of what sounds like he's freaking you out.

a real friend you gotta be able to smack in the head when their acting like assholes and ask him what the hell he thinks he's doing, sure you might end up in a fight but i mean who the hell does have fights with their friends,

Here's the thing tho. if your not the one to do it, who will? some random guy he shots laying on the ground using his microphone before he dies completly. or you, his old friend that have known him for 15 odd years?

if you cant do that without losing him. then thats not what i call a friend. thats just an douche with a bad temper.

Edited by Happy-
  • Like 1

I think your friend should embrace the death instead of being afraid of it :D

Edited by Ghua
  • Like 2

Better to be the one doing the shooting than the one being shot at, really.

Definitely agree with this lol never good when you know someone is near and you don't have anything to defend yourself haha!

But he will just respawn and be even more psycho!

The other day myself and 3 friends were walking along the tree line to electro when I spotted a player walking parallel to us in the other direction. He saw me, raised his hand and wiggled, I wiggled back and the fucker took a shot at me! What followed was a 2-3 min gun battle with him taking cover behind a hill and myself taking cover behind a tree. I suppressed him with m4 fire while my friend took shots at him with a mosin. I flanked him but he was dead when I arrived. 

Out of the tree line appears a new spawn. He ran away but I chased him calling friendly. He stops and I tell him about the fight and offer him the dead mans loot. He was grateful and after looting went on his way.

Would have been boring had I simply killed them on sight.

Edited by blank85
  • Like 3

Out of the tree line appears a new spawn. He ran away but I chased him calling friendly. He stops and I tell him about the fight and offer him the dead mans loot. He was grateful and after looting went on his way.

Would have been boring had I simply killed them on sight.

that made me actually giggle.

i got the mental picture you running full speed shout FRIENDLY; GOD DAMNIT IM FRIENDLY STAND STILL SO I CAN HELP YOU!

• Like 1

Is your friend the guy who shot me at the central airfield and then shot me again after you had bandaged me and brought med back to conciousness? haha :D

that made me actually giggle.

i got the mental picture you running full speed shout FRIENDLY; GOD DAMNIT IM FRIENDLY STAND STILL SO I CAN HELP YOU!

It is like that sometimes. Or at least "friendly, but not pacifistic, so keep your distance and don't do anything stupid while I'm trying to help, or I'll get nervous and shoot you just for my safety".

Really. Even if you are a hero trying to help a group of fresh spawns. If any of them tries something that makes your common sense tingle - shoot everyone who is not standing still with no weapon in hands. Just because they broke the rules, and you warned them before.

Actually, I also had this moment that gave me chills yesterday. Guy murdered like 5 or 6 fresh spawns that were fighting off the zeds (though, some of them were killed by zombies, I got no solid info on that), just because (as he said) he wanted that axe and that backpack that 2 of them were wearing. And he told me that like nothing happened. I just couldn't resist the urge to put a 7.62 in his chest.

Edited by Ranadaine

And here we go, chapter 2:

We arrived at NWAF today, with 2 other buddies. One, a silent guy, avoiding fights and usually running so far away, that we have trouble, finding him again.

The other one is more a KoS Guy - mainly because he has the classic "if I don't shoot they will shoot me." - mentality...and I can't say that it comes out of nowhere ;) but he has a problem with directions...e.g. We don't see each other, and he sees a guy running somewhere, he usually calls it like "There is another player!" "Where?" "Over there!"  "WHERE IS OVER THERE?" "He is to my left now." ....makes us laugh every time. And puts us in danger. But laughing is more precious ;)

To keep it clean I refer to the 3 as "psycho" (buddy from post 1) "silent" and "KoSBuddy"

But let's start...So we came to NWAF, the other 3 guys with their mosins, me with my precious M4 - I just like it more ;)

They scouted around and I started checking the Hangars. Suddenly KoSBuddy says "There is someon. On the fire station."

I hid and scouted, and made my way around, just in case. Suddenly again "He is going down the ladder!" BAM! "hit him!" BAM! "He fell. i think he's dead."

Poor fella. Well, maybe he was serverhopping...but who knows...

But well, dead is dead and after some "Why did you kill him?" we looted..nothing we could reall use...well except for some food and a can opener. I collect them. I had 6 now. Strange, I know, but I was thinking about going to the coast and giving them to freshspawns...

Back again, we talked, and reminding this thread, i thought...well, at least I should prank psycho. So i went near him while he was scouting and handcuffed him - and stole his can opener. 7 now - happy me ;)

Since I had no keys i told him to wiggle out the handcuffs but they were pristine so it took a while...so long that KosBuddy set him free as he had some keys. Suddenly he pulls out the magnum and lands a hard shot to my hip. In panic I pull out the M4 and unleash hell - struck by bullets he goes down, I'm bleeding too, vision goes to black and white. I turn around and see KosBuddy running towards me - I just thought, well he may be out for revenge, and since he killed that poor guy on the fire station...Bam.Bam. Bam. Dead.

Whoa did I feel guilty. I apologised - even if psycho did start the shooting - and Silent and me collected as many stuff as we could (I even throw away most of my precious can openers...so if you found today at NWAF a body with ~6 can openers around it....that was psycho ;)

Met KosBuddy in Gorka, to bring them most of his stuff...well there was a guy in an orange raincoat with a mosin in his hand in Gorka.

I ran towards him, called friendly...no reaction. I lurked around the house where he was hiding and tried it again "Buddy? Everything ok? I Won't kill you" Suddenlky he raises the mosin - and before he can shoot I have pumped 10 rounds or more in his body. And as we loot him, I see why he did not shoot: There was no ammo in the mosin...

But well KosBuddy hat a mosin again and since we rescued his pristine long range scope and his ammo etc. he was good equipped again..

So we went to Polana to meet up with psycho, gave him the rest of his stuff - and my magnum even if I had a very bad feeling about that, so I tried to move in a way that either Silent or KosBuddy would be inbetween him and me...but well, as I look to the side, suddenly Mosin-Fire. KoSBuddy shoots and hits, I run for cover, but Psycho flanks me, the magnum roars...and I'm dead. Shot by the mosin, for which I killed a poor guy that didn't even had bullets for it and the magnum that I carried around for 10+ ingame hours...

Running back there from Kamyshovo...so they take my stuff out because I'm not sure that I would make it in time....aaaand server restarts as I'm 500 metres away :(

But at least they saved my precious M4. So now we're even - at least thats what they say....and the funny thing comes now:

After psycho quits for today, we decide to run up again to NWAF, because the server restarted...and passing through Gorka we see two guys with mosins running and looting - careless - around. (Whats up with Gorka? High traffic area? ;))

KosBuddy has his mosin out "I can take one out. Should I?" He asks...well thats something different. Normally I would have heard two shots... "no, wait..." I reply.  So I sneak closer - they go in cover but look down the hill into the city, and we are already flanking them just by...well sitting in the bushes. "Should we take em out?" I hear KosBuddy again, but I decline and move closer. As I'm sitting ten metres away in a bush I say "Yo, buddy. Friendly. Don't worry....look to your side..."

Well glad that we didn't shoot them - because they were nice as hell and after some chatting we traded Magnum Ammu and food for some painkillers we wished them a safe journey and reminded them to be more careful...but I really was impressed that KosBuddy did not shoot.

After we found Silent who was, like usual, somewhere lost in the woods, we decided to head to NWAF again....

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 5

im sorry but the more you tell me about your bud the more i thinking this aint a friend thats the guy you have in your group of friends that you barly tolerate but is allways acting like a douche. :facepalm:

i tend to avoid that person cause will i just dont need the headach. last time he did something that got to me tho i did give him a peace of my mind.

and with that ive lost interest in the thread. anyway good luck with your adventures and your friends. no beans for this one

Edited by Happy-

I care not for a persons material possessions only that they have a thinking brain, the mind is the most dangerous weapon. That is enough for me to kill them and it would be for you too if you were smart.  :D

In that moment my friend looks into the church - bam, and the poor guy is gone. As i looted him I saw that he really had nothing on him - tshirt, jeans, shoes, flashlight and 4 rags.

I asked my friend, why the heck he did that, and he answered: "First, he was dead anyway. He was bleeding out of like 10 wounds. And more important: Now he is just another one, that is no threat to me anymore." Pause. "To us."

This is one of the best stories hands down I have read on these forums. Most of the tales woven by people sound way too exaggerated and dime store novel-like.I was laughing so hard I was crying. People do change playing this game and Psycho is a perfect example.

You need a dude like that in your crew who will not hesitate because when shit goes down, some people fold. I hope to cross paths with you boys someday.

My advice to you would be to get extra locks for your crib and to pat down your boy at the front door when he come over..