Internomad

Tryiing to like Dayz

Hi all, I really want to like this game, but all I seem to do is wander around for ages finding the odd town with nothing much in it I can take, as finding a backpack is like looking for a needle in a haystack!  Surely there must be more to this game, most servers I have been on are just about empty, less than 10 players, I'm not surprised seeing as how long I sit at my computer pressing the 'W' button.  If I'm missing something, any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

You are playing the mod yeah?

Try download Epoch or one of the other mods and see if that takes your fancy, most servers are pretty quiet nowadays but there are a few with players :)

It is important to remember that this is infact a survival game, so its not like Cod or Battlefield whereby you will just find stuff all the time, you have to scavenge!

Happy Hunting!

I'm playing DAYZ SA, and I do realize that it is a survival game, but when you can't find a backpack, you are very limited, and it really gets tiresome just running around for ages and ages looking for a pack.

I'm playing DAYZ SA, and I do realize that it is a survival game, but when you can't find a backpack, you are very limited, and it really gets tiresome just running around for ages and ages looking for a pack.

Just letting you know that this is the Mod sub-forum and not the SA sub-forum. 

Secondly if you are bored of running everywhere then stop running and look through every town, can't hurt your chances of finding a backpack. Only try to just run to one place if you really need to be there.

• Like 1

Ok, so first thing you need to do is find out where you are, 

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

when you spawn you're most likely going to be on the east coast, so a good strategy for a beginner is to run down the road with the sea on your left. You will find someone, or something. 

Backpacks spawn in construction sites, supermarkets, and the smallest backpacks spawn in houses but mostly they're pretty rare. 

There are plenty of full servers in my region, so i can't understand why you can't find one, check your filters and make sure you're clicking "players" at the top of the server list, it should fill up with 40/40 servers. 

The map is huge so getting from town to town does take a while, especially if you don't know where you're going. 

Remember that this is an alpha, so zombies aren't going to be the most interesting adversaries for the time being, but good luck and let us know if you change your mind. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the map, I thought you could only get them in-game.  I haven't given up on the game, just getting a little frustrated by it.  I am going to try the Mod, currently I'm d/l Arma 2 on Steam, as I understand that the Mod is a little more forgiving than SA.  Anyway thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it.   :)

Oh BTW, the title of the map is for the SA version, will that map also do for the Mod?

Edited by Internomad

The map Capo linked you is for SA. There is a Mod version on that website. I find it to be pretty accurate apart from the vehicle spawns. Goodluck with the Mod, I'm sure you'll find it a lot of fun..

Sobaka

TYS

I am new to this mod, as well as ARMA, so I am completely lost, confused, and frikkin bored already. Other than walking, running, looking about, and getting beaten to death, I cannot make anything work. I cannot even hit a zombie with my fist, as I cannot find the controls. I cannot access my inventory, not knowing what key(s) to hit, and I do not seem to do anything other than half-ass throw a flare!

While a very cool looking game, it seems to me a simpler control interface would make it far more fun, and less like a jig-saw puzzle missing half its pieces....

Looking at the control settings is totally a mess...as nearly everything has multiple key-bindings,  none at all, or are not even listed!

Right now, I am glad this has cost me nearly nothing...is the standalone any better, or is it the same unfriendly controll interface?

Most of the how-to videos I look at assume I know what I am doing in the first place...

Does a REAL guide  for REAL BEGINNERS exist?

PS....what is this "you have my beans" all about?

Edited by Olblindman

I am new to this mod, as well as ARMA, so I am completely lost, confused, and frikkin bored already. Other than walking, running, looking about, and getting beaten to death, I cannot make anything work. I cannot even hit a zombie with my fist, as I cannot find the controls. I cannot access my inventory, not knowing what key(s) to hit, and I do not seem to do anything other than half-ass throw a flare!

While a very cool looking game, it seems to me a simpler control interface would make it far more fun, and less like a jig-saw puzzle missing half its pieces....

Looking at the control settings is totally a mess...as nearly everything has multiple key-bindings,  none at all, or are not even listed!

Right now, I am glad this has cost me nearly nothing...is the standalone any better, or is it the same unfriendly controll interface?

Most of the how-to videos I look at assume I know what I am doing in the first place...

Does a REAL guide  for REAL BEGINNERS exist?

PS....what is this "you have my beans" all about?

My good man, first thing to do is play the arma 2 basic training. That will get you used to the controls a lot better, and its a fun way to learn the basics! Practice the training as much as possible, it will be a big help to you, like it was to me. Teaches you ALL the basics from how to run crouch crawl etc to how to administer first aid and fire weapons. Hell, I still pop onto the firing range from time to time to top up my shooting skills as you don't really fire weapons that much if you play the way I do.

As for fists, theres no fist-fighting on the mod. If you don't have a weapon you cant do damage.

trust me fella, you get out of the game what you put in. Get some training practice in, & you will feel like a completely different animal next time you jump onto the mod. There will be no more throwing flares around and scratching your head while watching zeds beat you to death, you will have had your basic training behind you and will feel ready to take the game on on YOUR terms.

Play on the vanilla servers too to ease yourself in and play the game the way it was meant to be, don't jump onto epoch or panthera right away, those places are like dayz on acid!

as for the beans, you click on them if you like someones post.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by Jock McScottish
  • Like 2

Thanks for the info! I have put a little time into the training on ARMA, so I am getting some of it down.....but not a lot...like how do I check my inventory? no keystroke seems to work..

I do think that this is probably a very cool game, once you figure it out, and as I am recovering from hip replacement surgery, I will have a few weeks to check it out. As far as vanilla servers go, what am I looking for? seems everything I see is epoch, or panthera

I really appreciate you getting back to me.

I am looking forward to actually getting into the thick of it!

Thanks for the info! I have put a little time into the training on ARMA, so I am getting some of it down.....but not a lot...like how do I check my inventory? no keystroke seems to work..

I do think that this is probably a very cool game, once you figure it out, and as I am recovering from hip replacement surgery, I will have a few weeks to check it out. As far as vanilla servers go, what am I looking for? seems everything I see is epoch, or panthera

I really appreciate you getting back to me.

I am looking forward to actually getting into the thick of it!

No worries, glad to help. The game is a steep learning curve for people who haven't played arma before, but once you get used to it, it quickly becomes second nature.

here is a quick list of the keys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pthrA5_5zg

its G to check your gear btw, and the inventory is the biggest pain in the ass to learn playing the mod, so don't get too upset about not being able to master it right away!

If you want to find a certain server, i.e Vanilla, epoch or whatever you have to download dayz commander if you haven't got it already. Then you type in the one you are looking for in the filter box. It sounds a lot to take in for someone new I know, but just stick with it and before you know it it will become second nature, trust me!

Completely off topic but I cringed at this. On a side note, is that method still less than productive?

I am going to try the Mod, currently I'm d/l Arma 2 on Steam