Sign in to follow this  
Wulfic

Simple NOT exaggerated base building

I see maaaany suggestions here which are SOOOOOOOOOO over the top like warrooms and woodworks and what not. Why not a simpler approach ?

The World of Dayz has many mansions, houses, abandonend factories which could greatly work as a base for players. 
For example we find a mansion somewhere deep inland. It is surrouned by a wall which is collapsed in some places. So what could we do ?

Possibilities

- Repair the wall

- Wire fence on the wall 

- Barricading windows

- giving rooms their purposes like - Sleeping place, Medical room, Weaponry and magazine and stuff like that, kitchen etc.

- Installing some simple trap against zombies and ppl : Bear traps, holes with spikes. 

- Barrels which would fill up at rainy days

- Maybe a power source 

And that's it. Realism + Fun !

• Like 9

I totally agree with you, basebuilding should let us use pre existent buildings, and we should able to reinforce doors, barricade windows,  build item containers inside.etc.

• Like 3

Not a bad idea. I think of origins in a way, but using pre-existing buildings. Pretty cool.

I totally agree with you, basebuilding should let us use pre existent buildings, and we should able to reinforce doors, barricade windows,  build item containers inside.etc.

Or add more building,and not building metal sheets in the middle of the air with no foundations.

One problem.. Build a "Base" in a barracks .-. free loot.

• Like 2

what happens when your enemy hops servers then goes into your house? will he be magically appear behind you?

• Like 2

Make an easy game mechanic like "CLAIM" u need for example one specific Item in a base which will then automatically claim a place like in a radius or something. And for example everyone can claim something once in their lifespan ( If u want to mooove places u just erase the claim on a land and move out of it ) and nothing in the claimed place respawns, no zombies, no loot and no players. If a Player hops servers ( which actually by this time should be dealt with but w/e ) He would spawn outside the CLAIM RADIUS for example. Is it doable ? I think it is.

The when you want to log back in inside your base wouldn't it put you out side the claimed area?

I dont really understand why u have written this. Solve problems don't create ones. The guy who would have acces to the claimed area wouldnt be spawned outside. If it is to hard to make such a mechanic then he could just enter the base again with a key or something.

Players will be able to loot your base. You can jump over a wire fence or cut it. How would you get inside your base ? If you can get inside your base then other people will get inside as well. 

I dont really understand why u have written this. Solve problems don't create ones. The guy who would have acces to the claimed area wouldnt be spawned outside. If it is to hard to make such a mechanic then he could just enter the base again with a key or something.

What if I see a barricaded house I have no access to, I log out, log in on a different server, enter the same but non-barricaded house, log out, go back to the previous server, log in and spawn inside someone's base 

• Like 1

Haha I have been meaning to do a thread on realistic base building and what would be needed to make it happen. In particular I have been thinking about the stranded ship. 

Have set up another thread to explore this idea:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/166133-how-could-the-stranded-ship-be-converted-into-a-base-or-trade-post/

Edited by Roshi

No, we don't want people to barricade loot spots. This is terrible, and you'd know if you had played Rust.

Dayz is 20km2 ( or more ) On the server at once can be 40 ppl. Whats the deal ? No one will settle in cities because ( I hope by this time ) they will be crowded with zombies lurking all over the goddamn place. So i don't really see ur point sorry. Rust enables to do FENCES and Barracks. This Idea wouldn't allowe that. It would change existing places. Fortify them. Ofc loot wouldn't be spawning there but it doesn;t matter if someone settles in this claimed area he takes the loot that was there. So it's not a big deal unless u camp on a spawn point to capture loot. 

i think we should still be able to build a "base" independently of existing structures....i don't like the whole deal with platforms floating unsupported....i think that should be addressed for sure....but it would be well within reason that a survivor or a organized group of survivors would be able to manage building a free standing structure...it should require a lot of resources and time but doable for sure...also we should be able to barricade existing structures as well.....and yes even the mil loot spots....i imagine if you have taken up residence in a really popular loot location that you would be constantly attacked to the point where it would be tough to finish barricading it....takes a lot of resources and time remember....and be highly probable that your hard work would be destroyed by wave after wave of survivors looking for supplies and weapons...now the problem of people server hopping into your base....that may be a little tricky to solve....probably the idea that you can't spawn into a claimed location would be the only way to fix it but i think that would cause some problems as well...i guess well just have to wait and see how it goes....i think they will work it work it out in a acceptable manner....hope so anyhow....

I would like to see TEMPORARY in-game building reinforcement.  Something limited in nature and time.  One of the main problems with base building in the Mod is the epic amount of griefing going on.  Every single server we played in Epoch had a bunch of asshat griefers that would go to your base at 3am and blow everything up.  After a while there was literally NO POINT in building a base, because some kiddie would come by every single night and take the door down.

For the TEMPORARY building / reinforcement it should go away after a couple of days or a week at most.  Nothing permanent.

For the PERMANENT base building, I would like to see it all UNDERGROUND.  Something that isn't griefable at 3am.  You go up to your manhole cover, bunker entrance, whatever (something that shows in game, but is just a single item).  Once you mousewheel on it, you get transported to a static screen where you can access inventory, repair items, cook food, craft, etc.  Then once you're done, you exit the base and spawn back in the game world at the entrance.  You could increase the size of your underground base by adding more salvaged materials (wood, cinder, steel, etc).

This would do 3 important things:

1.  It would limit the amount of game world fortifications, which would keep server performance high (the more items the game has to render, the worse it performs).

2.  It would allow you to fortify an area for PVP, or temporary clan base purposes.

3.  The underground base would be a good way to do storage, repairing, crafting, etc because it wouldn't actually render anything in game except your entrance manhole, bunker, etc.

I've tought about that too, but the only problem is the house lol, finding a good house is gonna be hard, even more if you want to store a car and a helicopter. Ill just let Rocket amaze me with his next updates

Me and my boys wanna build a shanty town in the middle of nowhere.  I can't see the point in barricading a building in the middle of a town. Except maybe to camp... and no one likes campers!

Simple. Please keep it that way. 

Quick history: My friends and I built a base around the gray deposit located south of Vybor. We did quite well. Of course we were constantly invaded, even some of us spent 24 hours in the game but still had no problems. Of course it was a private server with whitelist and a community where everyone knew each other. So I do not see why we could not use a construction, building, house, warehouse, barn and build the base around the SA when private servers are functioning.

Here are some screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/L3Yoc#0

Edited by ALEXANDER10

what happens when your enemy hops servers then goes into your house? will he be magically appear behind you?

Being within a certain radius of a player placed item (that will increase when multiple items in close proximity) you will be displaced from it so many hundred metres.

If you want to get inside a base, you will basically have to know it inside out anyway.

Things that can be placed on houses should decay over time, and be destructible.

Other items should not be aloud to block off an inch of doorway.

Why does this topic even exist? Barricades are confirmed to be added to the game at unspecified time before any proper

base building features (except camps maybe). As for taking over good loot spawns, how about using fire axe and hack the barricades down? 

Or add molotovs to the game and burn him out.

• Like 1