BL1P

Vehicle overhaul in DayZ compared to ArmA

I would like to see vehicles in DayZ get more complicated especially the aircraft.

I have a few m8s who play the DCS games and they assure me that the avionics and flight mechanics in those games are a lot harder compared to the ArmA system.

Seeing as how Mr Halls vision of DayZ is a harsh unforgiving anti game environment, it would be a step in the right direction to have at least the hardcore mode simulate something like the DCS system for aircraft. Make land based vehicles use a 3 pedal and gearshift system as well.

I do believe that BIS has a working model that complicates the avionics and flight mechanics somewhat in their Take on Helicopters game.

With all the great new systems they are putting in place for the infantry side of things and the survival side of things.

Especially the implementation of a hardcore server version which removes the arcade style 3rd person view.

An overhaul of the current anyone can drive and fly system in the ArmA2 engine should be looked at IMHO.

An in game Book/Manual could be implemented that takes you through the start up system for the more complicated avionics of the helicopters and the flight mechanics etc.

If they did this so that the new systems where on the Hardcore servers and leave it as is for the Casual servers they could once again cater to both sides of the coin.

What ya think ?

• Like 6

I have a few m8s who play the DCS games and they assure me that the avionics and flight mechanics in those games are a lot harder compared to the ArmA system.

LOL

You don't say? It's about a million times harder. The entire games are centered around avionics and flight mechanics.

I agree though. In terms of controls I would like if DayZ were fully as realistic as Falcon 4.0 or DCS Blackshark 2.

That being said I don't think it's feasible.

• Like 1

LOL

You don't say? It's about a million times harder. The entire games are centered around avionics and flight mechanics.

I agree though. In terms of controls I would like if DayZ were fully as realistic as Falcon 4.0 or DCS Blackshark 2.

That being said I don't think it's feasible.

But using the Take on Helicopters model would be I guess.

Maybe a compromise between the two.

Anything really to make flying an aircraft harder than the current system.

W= Accelerator

s= Brake

(Some random button)= Clutch (no stalling unless you let it up at idle)

and either a 2 buttons which let you shift up and down or the numbers for which gear you want for gearing.

That is how a semirealistic sim of a manual vehicle would have to work in this game. This is simply because you don't have the control needed to use a clutch properly via a keyboard.

• Like 5

W= Accelerator

s= Brake

(Some random button)= Clutch (no stalling unless you let it up at idle)

and either a 2 buttons which let you shift up and down or the numbers for which gear you want for gearing.

That is how a semirealistic sim of a manual vehicle would have to work in this game. This is simply because you don't have the control needed to use a clutch properly via a keyboard.

And that would be good enough I belive.

There are no airplains in the game, there are no helicopters in the game.

Why are we discussing things that obviously not going to be ingame in the alpha, even in beta and in the full release its questionable?

Why arent you instead make a thread about ground vehicles since we know we will get those for sure along the roadmap.

Why are we discussing things that obviously not going to be ingame in the alpha, even in beta and in the full release its questionable?

Why arent you instead make a thread about ground vehicles since we know we will get those for sure along the roadmap.

Why not look at the long term. You can't create a heli with full simulated avionics in 3 days. So why not start throwing ideas around now while its in alpha rather than try to cram it in later down the line in beta when they should be ironing out bugs rather than adding content.

Edited by Crit
  • Like 2

Clutch is a difficult one because a key press means it's on/off, and that's not how you use a clutch. A better way would be to have an automatic clutch (i.e. it's done for you) but require the player to change gear themselves. Trying to pull off in anything higher than 2nd (or 1st if the vehicle is on a hill) would result in a stall, forcing the driver to re-start the engine. The owner of a vehicle could use this to their advantage to prevent someone hopping in and quickly driving off by leaving it parked in 5th. Similarly, driving up hills or on rough terrain would require the use of a low gear and leaving it in a high gear would result in the vehicle slowing down and eventually stopping.

For helicopters (I have no idea how they fly now, I've not played Arma II or DayZ Mod), pitch should be handled using the mouse movement, collective (rotor blade angle) should be done with two keys and the throttle should be automatic. To take off, once increases the collective which throttles the engines up, increasing the thrust from the rotors. Using this setup, a helicopter that is shot and receives engine damage has the possibility of being able to autorotate, providing there's enough control authority (controls could have been damaged depending on what was hit), and land relatively safely. Or crash, depending on the player skill.

Why not look at the long term. You can't create a heli with full simulated avionics in 3 days. So why not start throwing ideas around now while its in alpha rather than try to cram it in later down the line in beta when they should be ironing out bugs rather than adding content.

Exactly, it takes more then the whole process of dayz so far when you want what you are saying.

Guys, please stop being so ignorant thinking we can get ANYTHING from this conversation.

Lets discuss thinks that actually can be put ingame and where we know the devs will do it for sure.

Imean we can talk about flying to the moon with a rocket in dayz, tough it will never happen.

I don't like your ideas, keep it the same but make it more difficult to repair. Simple as that.

I don't like your ideas, keep it the same but make it more difficult to repair. Simple as that.

Fair enough.

Although that would be covered in the Hardcore and Casual servers

Hardcore would have more complicated control systems.

and 

Casual would remain the same.

Exactly, it takes more then the whole process of dayz so far when you want what you are saying.

Guys, please stop being so ignorant thinking we can get ANYTHING from this conversation.

Lets discuss thinks that actually can be put ingame and where we know the devs will do it for sure.

Imean we can talk about flying to the moon with a rocket in dayz, tough it will never happen.

Its a forum I will discuss what I please as long as it remains within the boundaries of the forum rules.

For example :-

I wouldn't call you ignorant as that is classed as an inflammatory post and against the forum rules.

• Like 2

Everybody's discussing aircraft functionality and availability, and I'm just sitting here hoping I can un-flip my ATV after a stray pebble gives me 5 seconds of air time.

• Like 3

Everybody's discussing aircraft functionality and availability, and I'm just sitting here hoping I can un-flip my ATV after a stray pebble gives me 5 seconds of air time.

lol :P

Hi.

I hope helo's never find their way into standalone. If the devs want DayZ to be realistic(or authentic whatever that means), how many helo pilots would there actually be in the earths remaining 1% population? I'd guess none.

Of course I realize the vast majority of players will probably prefer to be pilots, just like they prefer to look over walls with 3pp. I just hope the devs at the very least give a somewhat realistic startup procedure, giving us more time to go kill the pilot before he takes off, or spawn AA weapons.

If its ok for everyone to be able to repair and fly military helos, why not include tanks too.

Regards.

You got any sources of information to back up your opinion that certain items won't make it into the game?

Hi.

I hope helo's never find their way into standalone. If the devs want DayZ to be realistic(or authentic whatever that means), how many helo pilots would there actually be in the earths remaining 1% population? I'd guess none.

Nah. Heli's should be in the game, just quite difficult to get working and very difficult to fly without sticking it into the dirt.
  • Like 1

You mean like vehicles? Rocket has stated they want to do vehicles correctly and that is the only reason they are not in the Alpha yet. So while this discussion is about something that won't be in the game for a while yet, it is not about something that won't every be in the game. Vehicles will be in the game. 

Nah. Heli's should be in the game, just quite difficult to get working and very difficult to fly without sticking it into the dirt.

Hi.

I respect that you, like others would want them in, and I like that you want them to be difficult, but how about my last question?

I will add to it - If every survivor has the expertise to repair and operate helos, then why not tanks as well? Surely they would be a peice of cake to operate in comparison?

Regards.

Edited by Romeo Foxtrot

Hi.

I respect that you, like others would want them in, and I like that you want them to be difficult, but how about my last question?

I will add to it - If every survivor has the expertise to repair and operate helos, then why not tanks as well? Surely they would be a peice of cake to operate in comparison?

Regards.

Hmm as much as I would like choppers and civilian planes in, you do make a very good point.

making them extremely hard to learn to fly could be an answer ?

Although there are very good points to be had that high end military vehicles not be in the final game.

Maybe civilian aircraft only ?

Making cars manual or automatic would be a great addition. Hopefully vehicle physics more in line with what Arma 3 offers will end up in there eventually.

As for the helicopters, removing auto-hover and a much more specific and scarce list of repair parts would do the trick. But before we can get to that we need persistence for stashes after server restart, so it is a long way off.

I would like to see vehicles in DayZ get more complicated especially the aircraft.

Seeing as how Mr Halls vision of DayZ is a harsh unforgiving anti game environment, it would be a step in the right direction to have at least the hardcore mode simulate something like the DCS system for aircraft. Make land based vehicles use a 3 pedal and gearshift system as well.

I do believe that BIS has a working model that complicates the avionics and flight mechanics somewhat in their Take on Helicopters game.

With all the great new systems they are putting in place for the infantry side of things and the survival side of things.

Especially the implementation of a hardcore server version which removes the arcade style 3rd person view.

An overhaul of the current anyone can drive and fly system in the ArmA2 engine should be looked at IMHO.

An in game Book/Manual could be implemented that takes you through the start up system for the more complicated avionics of the helicopters and the flight mechanics etc.

If they did this so that the new systems where on the Hardcore servers and leave it as is for the Casual servers they could once again cater to both sides of the coin.

What ya think ?

well I have been on the forums for a while and this is the first post I have made as I think this is a post worth replying to, adding Take on Helicopters is a cracking idea and I would say could be done as its also losely based on arma2 and they own it already, though the DCS route would be better imho as I love blackshark ;-)

I also think that adding a bit of complexity to the land vehicles is another cool idea being able to damage them as per your driving style, having to think about what you are doing rather than just hitting 'W' going as fast as you can.

You need skills to survive I hope they bring in skills to drive

You sir have my beans

• Like 1

They probaly go for the option where you can still fly with mouse and keyboard ;)

For both TOH (on expert) and DCS you need a joystick and rudders for the smaller inputs.

I would like to see the TOH one, since its already arma anyway.

But before anything else the map needs to be 2 times as big before you are able to hide a chopper properly :)

Hmm as much as I would like choppers and civilian planes in, you do make a very good point.

making them extremely hard to learn to fly could be an answer ?

Although there are very good points to be had that high end military vehicles not be in the final game.

Maybe civilian aircraft only ?

Hi.

Yes, 'civilian aircraft only' would be better, as I doubt AA weaponry would be availble. I don't think it would be much fun watching a group with a uh60 flying around mowing down every survivor they spot.

Still, I personally don't like the idea of helo's much. It creates too much of an easy mode for the groups that have them: o you died, where did you spawn, ok, I will be there in 40 seconds...

Though, in all honesty, I do like destroying them. :lol:

Regards.

Manual gear transmission and manual clutch would actually separate good drivers from bad. It would be a skill to drive a car well and not just keeping your finger at "w" key.