Jimbo_au

Combat logging fix idea (simple)

Most people here have probes played bf3/4, in that game it has a marking/spotting system that will put a symbol above the players head for so long.

How about instead of the symbol you could mark the player thus blocking a logout (nothing visual, proper d/c would not count) for 30 seconds or so this could be done up to say 4 times giving another player a total of 2 minutes to kill his marked player, if there is more than one player marking someone then they would not stack otherwise you could troll nonstop and of course devs would balance.. this is only a example.

What do you guys think?

Sorry if its been suggested

ps (simple) means my idea is simple not its simple to fix. dont want to come of sounding like a asshat  P

Edited by Jimbo_au

2 minutes logout time? Seriously? You logout for a reason. You have to leave and don't have the time to wait. Or to play another game.

Actually, I guess this could work. Or otherwise, the combat system in the Mod, that prevents you from logging out instantly.

Edited by DayzForumer

I like this idea. It could also be solved the way that Rust does it. Maybe let the player become a guy in a sleepingbag for 2 minutes. and then removing him from the game. This would also prevent people from "logging out, going behind a tree in another server heal up, and then come back in to shoot you from behind" because the sleepingbag could "reserve" the player's spot in the world. Also it would kind of stop people from logging out on sniper spots because they would be way vulnerable.

my 2 cents..

Edited by Website
  • Like 1

Your idea isn't that bad, but I think implementing it wouldn't be so easy.

I think a 15 second timer (or something in that range) before removing the character from the server should suffice. It is far easier to implement and should solve most of the combat logging problems. Of course there will be some cases where this time isn't enough, eg if someone hides in a house, but it would've helped against all loggers I encoutered so far.

Oh, by the way: it has allready been announced that combat logging is getting fixed in the near future, so I doubt having yet another idea on that matter will change the way the developers will handle the problem for now. Better wait for the implementation and then see how it might be improved.

Edited by Baarn

yea times where a bit much looking at other games a 15 second timmer is more the enough, it needs to be just long enough for a few bursts so if a guy sees a bullet hit the wall in front of him he cannot log right away giving the shooter a chance.

edit: did not see that it is already being addressed... trying to keep up with reddit and stuff must have missed it, the idea is not ment to be a 100% fix but somethig that could of been used until something better came along.

Edited by Jimbo_au

I really think what was done in the MOD is about the best 'solution'. A 10 second 'logout' timer. When you hit 'escape' a timer starts counts down from 10 before you can press 'abort'. coupled with a 'combat' timer, cant logout if a bullet came 'x' meters around you. If you're being fired upon you can't log out. Not sure if its in 'vanilla' MOD, but Origins had a 'logout dance' where if you logged out near another player, your toon hangs out and dances a jig for like 30 seconds. None of these things cause any issues if you log out legit, but pretty much ensure your death at the hands of your prognosticator if you log out by any form in any hostile/combat situation.

• Like 1

Nice Idea.

I prefer a general outlog timer.

You sit down for 2 min if you loose conection or log out.

If you log out you see a timer and you can cancel this timer by moving to get ingame again.

I really think what was done in the MOD is about the best 'solution'. A 10 second 'logout' timer. When you hit 'escape' a timer starts counts down from 10 before you can press 'abort'. coupled with a 'combat' timer, cant logout if a bullet came 'x' meters around you. If you're being fired upon you can't log out. Not sure if its in 'vanilla' MOD, but Origins had a 'logout dance' where if you logged out near another player, your toon hangs out and dances a jig for like 30 seconds. None of these things cause any issues if you log out legit, but pretty much ensure your death at the hands of your prognosticator if you log out by any form in any hostile/combat situation.

I like the system : )... I did not play the mod : (. but as everyday passes am being a huge dayz fan, I am starting to think its worth getting the mod too.

Edited by Jimbo_au

Timers won't work. People can just alt+f4 or pull their cable. The only way to prevent combat-logging is to keep the character on the server for a couple of seconds, like 30, before he disappears.
That way, we at least have a chance to fuk em up if they decide to play the game the dirty way.

Edited by Wh1spY
  • Like 1

Timers won't work. People can just alt+f4 or pull their cable.

Yes, he can press it but he is killable and seeable for 2 min in this situation. His char is online.

Edited by NoCheats

Timers won't work. People can just alt+f4 or pull their cable. The only way to prevent combat-logging is to keep the character on the server for a couple of seconds, like 30, before he disappears.

That way, we at least have a chance to fuk em up if they decide to play the game the dirty way.

Sure will, you won't be disconnected from the server until the timeout, once the server knows there is a server timeout, it checks against the 'rules' for the timer, if in combat, or near another player, the server keeps the toon there and alive for no less than 30 seconds (after server gets the client time out), but as much as 40 seconds. It works.

30 seconds are totaly not enough imo. Should be at least 3 minutes.

Not a bad idea and could work.. Personaly id like to see all the airports, military tent areas and bases non-logable areas.. in or out... and if you try to force log or dc in the area.. Toon should be left ingame for an alotted time.. Cause as we all know there KOS areas anyways. Might as well keep them that way.. Also, making a max amount of servers you can visit per hour, might help the server hopping..

Not a bad idea and could work.. Personaly id like to see all the airports, military tent areas and bases non-logable areas.. in or out... and if you try to force log or dc in the area.. Toon should be left ingame for an alotted time.. Cause as we all know there KOS areas anyways. Might as well keep them that way.. Also, making a max amount of servers you can visit per hour, might help the server hopping..

while I have heard the idea of pvp area's, and agree it is immersion breaking I would be totally up for no log out area's, or when in these area's and attempting a logout it would take maybe 2 minutes to do.