Sign in to follow this  
w1lg5r

Why do people hate western guns?

I think that western guns have a place in dayz and should be kept in rather than throw them all out and use shovels or bats as a primary.  This is because they make sense in chernarus, where there are many signs of war (the blown up BMPs) and i'm presuming that they are following the arma 2 campaign out, where the US invaded. This would explain the M4s and US gear. The chopper crashes in the mod were UH1Ys meaning that the US were fighting the infection, also the presence of UK vests indicates that British (or NATO as a whole) forces were deployed.  All the weapons should end up somewhere right? AKs and eastern guns should be more common than NATO arms and would in fact become very common since they were mass produced; and if you think about it every firearm is going to come out of the box in this kind of crisis, however having them that common would detract from the survival aspect.

Ammo should be fairly common too since when zombie numbers are increased everyone will have to fight for loot, and i believe if you are forced to shoot zombies, you are in combat more, not feeling the need to take out players to pass the time, and if ammo is rare, people will avoid everything and save bullets for other survivors. maybe a good way to keep civilian guns popular is to keep ammo more common for them.    So in my opinion, keep ammo fairly common and western guns (M16s, M240s, L85s etc) in the game and don't entirely replace them as some people want. It would keep variety.

Yes, western guns should just be rare, and so Should the ammunition, western stuff should be found at US and NOTO random spawned,  Roadblocks, crash sites (Choppers, Humvees, trucks)  and drop/assembly zones....

Edited by thomas28

Don't really think it's a 'hate' of western guns, it just makes more sense for there to more Russian made guns in a post Soviet country.  And honestly there's not much indication of a recent war in the country in Chenarus+ even though there is a bit of a buildup of military forces (Balota and Zelenogorsk's Armored base).

• Like 1

It's not "hate"...If DayZ would play in some remote US "province" far away from russia but you would find AKs, AKs, AKs and to have a bit of flavor...AKs....what would you say?

And learn basic politics..would a county like russia ask for a military intervention especially from a western State? Probably Not, they are far to proud and nationalistic imo and this applies to vice versa.

Edited by Enforcer

I've still yet to play the Arma2 story, but was told it went as: Some factions of Chenarus wanted Independence from Russia and wanted to be more pro-West, Russia didn't like that and parked a few T-90s in front of the voting booths.  NATO and the US put some pressure on Russia, and I think actually invaded Utes.  From there one fireteam went rouge or something and landed on mainland Chenarus...I really need to play the story missions.

I have all the DLCs for ArmA 2 and have finished them all. You all aught to play at least Operation Harvest Red. For me my favourite campaign was the British Armed Forces one despite Frosts annoying voice.

As to the question posed by the OP..

Western guns don't fit into DayZ as common weapons. They should be rare. Russian/Soviet/Chernarussian weapons are much more authentic. Also civilian weapons should be the most common, eg Hunting Rifles, small caliber personal defense weapons etc. To find a piece of western gear should be special and limited. To have them as common as in the Mod would break the games 'lore/immersion'.

Also your ammo suggestions and solutions are being surpassed by some more solid systems which are now in the works. You shouldn't worry about any of it, just leave it to Rocket ^_^.

As well BigMike you're not quite there on the story buddy.

My two cents..

Sobaka

TYS

Cher

It's not "hate"...If DayZ would play in some remote US "province" far away from russia but you would find AKs, AKs, AKs and to have a bit of flavor...AKs....what would you say?

And learn basic politics..would a county like russia ask for a military intervention especially from a western State? Probably Not, they are far to proud and nationalistic imo and this applies to vice versa.

Chernarus isn't at all part of the Russian Federation. Chernarus Is an Independent Republic. They use Ol-Soviet Gear, though. They are descrbed as being a proud people, and very friendly to the USMC who were assisting the CDF in fighting the Chedaki and Russian Invaders. Some Czechs and brits came then in the expansions. True story, bro

One problem...the Czechs, Brits, US Army, Takistan Army and NATO/UNO came with the OA expansion that came with Takistan...somehow a few german soldiers got lost in there, too.

What would "post-soviet" mean then? Mail to russia or what? Chernarus was a USMC, CDF, Russia, ChDKZ, NAPA thingie...the "war" was a civil war involving a couple of US forces of which team razor did most of the job and not the entire united states, the fight was mostly among the CDF and the insurgents that were probably backed up by russia only because the stars from the usa showed up doesn't mean they were the key to success...We only have that mixed stuff in the mod thanks to the fact that OA threw the bunch together, nothing more, if they had used ArmA 2 only you would have a lot less of those "out of place" units. And if you post facts about involved parties at least get them straight will you? 

• Like 2

If they added any western weapons, the M16A2/M16A4 and M9 are probably the most realistic, as well as some non-US guns like the FN FAL, G3, FN Minimi and FN Mag. 

I'd also not complain if they had the M27 IAR, M39 EMR and M24/M40 if they could justify the U.S. Marine Corps involvement

My 'ideal' western guns to be added:

Handguns

- Beretta 92F/S (M9)

- Colt 1911

- P226/P228/P229

- Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 22 (maybe more)

- USP or P8

SMGs

- MP5A2, MP5A5 and maybe an MP5SD3/SD6

Rifles

- M16A1, M16A2 and M16A4

- G3A3 and G3A4

- FN FAL and FN FAL para

- M39 EMR/MK14 EBR (US DMRs)

MGs

- FN Minimi

- FN Mag

- M60

- (Possibly) M27 IAR

Edited by Chaingunfighter

Here's the official list, ( http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2:_Weapons#CDF_Weapons ) while a few western weapons might be logical ( i think they might prefer weapons from western europe more than from the states ) the chances for weapon systems like the M27 and EBR might be pretty slim, how many very close allies use that many specialized US weapons? And i'm still sure of the fact that armies will prefer local weapons to foreign weapons and it would be cheaper for the supporting country in the long run if they gave the local forces weapons they are used to instead of having to invest more money and manpower to provide training on the new weapons.

Edited by Enforcer
  • Like 1

King of kong, on 18 Jan 2014 - 2:29 PM, said:

Some Czechs and brits came then in the expansions. True story, bro

Uhh no <_< ..

The BAF and ACR expansions are set in entirely different regions. Not Chernarus after Harvest Red. Eagle Wing is the only other campaign to feature in Chernarus. I cannot believe people who bought ArmA 2 for DayZ haven't played the campaigns.

Two cents from an ArmA hipster..

Sobaka

TYS

• Like 1

Here's the official list, ( http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2:_Weapons#CDF_Weapons ) while a few western weapons might be logical ( i think they might prefer weapons from western europe more than from the states ) the chances for weapon systems like the M27 and EBR might be pretty slim, how many very close allies use that many specialized US weapons? And i'm still sure of the fact that armies will prefer local weapons to foreign weapons and it would be cheaper for the supporting country in the long run if they gave the local forces weapons they are used to instead of having to invest more money and manpower to provide training on the new weapons.

Oh, I was stating that on the basis that the USMC was in Chernarus to some extent at the time of the outbreak.

I can see why people would not like it, though, as both are 'modern fps cool guns' but it's the only way I can forsee them having something like an HK-416.

Whatever, I'd rather them have an RPD/RPK and a PK first, but any gun that they add I'm not gonna complain about being in. They'll probably completely avoid MGs or high-capacity weapons for a good portion of development and I won't complain if they do.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

Hope they add an RPK-74 (Or rpk-74m), becuase suppression was so effective in the mod, just likr irl. Your afraid of losing your gear/life,so you duck, and become trapped while your enemy flanks you.