Sign in to follow this  
ace42 (DayZ)

Idea: Fix KoS complaints, nametags, and many future problems by introducing "in game language"

Ok, so before I explain my idea, here are a couple observations about this game that motivate it

1) The most fun part about DayZ seems to be the role-playing aspect. After basic survival is learned, people love hearing stories, forming squads, etc.

2) Everyone wants to play in their own unique way (e.g. "hero" vs. "bandit") and wishes the game would facilitate their preference somehow.

In the real world, there are 'bandit' situations and 'hero' situations. For example, near christmas time, observe how strangers act towards one another in stores. It is like a free-for-all with no respect. Contrast this with driving a car in traffic. Often times, you have people who "give way" for others or at the very least coordinate, without even having to speak to another (using signals from lights on cars and on traffic lights).

Still with me? What I am suggesting is... don't change anything about the game mechanics. Just add items to facilitate communication as much as possible, and let the players figure the rest out.

As the simplest example, what if in DayZ you could make posters (you get to draw the texture on-the-fly). Say you have a 'hero' who wants to help somehow. With posters, our hero could make signs near the coast with a red cross and an arrow pointing to a place where he is hanging out and helping people. Alternatively, the hero could attach the poster to his back (a picture of a red cross) and it will be more believable that he is a medic of some kind.

As a more complicated example, what if you had groups of people who organize on forums, agree on some kind of protocol + symbol, and meet each other in-game through that externally-decided protocol. This way, the game fully facilitates their coordination/cooperation, without restricting others from being plain old bandits.

One thing I thought would be cool is making flags. What if you could make flags and either have them sticking out of the ground or attached to a person. What if, when approaching a city at night, you see a flag positioned on the tallest building, with a gas lamp placed underneath so that it is illuminated. It could be the symbol of a friendly group in the town, or a trap...

Let me know if you think this sounds useful!

• Like 4

I can already see the million topics of people complaining about the "fake medics" on the coastline who pretend to help you and then just kill you and steal your stuff ;)

But I do see a certain appeal to your idea. I'm all for more forms of communication. Signs, hand signals, shouting... what ever. 

Edited by phoboss

I can already see the million topics of people complaining about the "fake medics" on the coastline who pretend to help you and then just kill you and steal your stuff ;)

I thought of this, and there will always be people who abuse any system. But my theory is that over time, the general DayZ population would figure out several "protocols" (that we have yet to think of) that are relatively effective/reliable.

Well we will be able to use the pens and pieces of paper in the game to leave messages. Can't wait to rob a tent or shoot people and use this to add insult to injury ;-)

Well we will be able to use the pens and pieces of paper in the game to leave messages. Can't wait to rob a tent or shoot people and use this to add insult to injury ;-)

But it needs to be more than just pen and paper. Communication channels need to be as rich and accessible as possible for my idea to work. Like you should be able to draw simple shapes and icons fairly easily in addition to writing. Also, a speech-to-text type thing may make writing notes more attractive.

I think this is a 'budding' good idea. I hope it get discussed and developed in your post, and not shot down with anti statements.

Hand signals! (obviously i mean "more" handsignals to those already in game)

has been suggested before.

pointing, waving, panic waving, stop kinda sign, and other that you can think of

pointing, waving, panic waving, stop kinda sign, and other that you can think of

Maybe also the option to "command" another player to use a specific signal?

(e.g. if you hold shift while pressing any of the hand signal hotkeys, your character will yell out "use [signal] now!")

Yup, i made a post about more signals but some said it would mean to may keys to press. I lost interest in my post as they where not thinking (not like you have to assign them all at once >< just select the ones you gonna be using)

I wanted more sign for to help people communicate, who could not use voice.