Tabris07

Item Conditions: Which Actually Matter?

Now I'm aware the the conditions of some items are important, like weapon parts and such. I've also encountered items that you don't seem to need to worry about (a badly damaged can of food is as good as a pristine one).

What items should I really be paying attention to? Does it matter that a med kit or backpack is damaged or even ruined? Do rags not work as well for bandaging if they aren't pristine?

I always swap out items for ones in better condition, but do I absolutely have to? My bayonet became ruined once and I dropped it, immediately regretting my decision because it may still have been able to open cans.

Weapons and scopes mostly,

Clothes

Melee weapons

Medkits.

Thats about that I am concerned about tbh

I always ask myself the same question, I think that a ruined backpack doesn't protect (even a bit) the items it contains, maybe? I'm not sure but I guess in beta every item will have a different functionality depending on it's conditions.

My understandings are based on rumor and superficial play experience, but...

Bandages that aren't "Pristine" are supposed to have an increased chance of causing infection.
Not sure if infection is even implimented yet since I haven't gotten it yet.

IV starter kits, saline bags, etc, should also have an increased chance of infection.

The rumor was also that damaged canned food items give an increased chance of food poisoning also but that clearly hasn't been implimented yet.

Clothing items, helmets, etc, give better protection from zombies when they are in better condition.
I easily bleed from a single hit when I only have a t-shirt but with full gear on I usually don't have to bandage from a zombie hit or two.

Weapon items such as stocks and sight are rumored to affect accuracy.

Clearly though most of the item condition functionality hasn't been impleimented yet.

There's also temporary item conditions like wet clothing which doesn't seem to have any effect yet.

Does anyone know if character temperature has any real effect yet?  If you run around in wet clothes at night will you get sick?

Edited by Hutch

Well... I would basically treat EVERYTHING as important to not be damaged. The reason I say this is because eventually they will add all that function. If you get accustom to not caring if your shoes are damaged now you will be more likely to be annoyed when damaged shoes give you blisters and slow down your running/walking in the future. I don't mean freak out if things are damaged, but I always check conditions and grab the items in the best condition. 

As for things it does matter for right now, this is one people forget, Compass. A Damaged one is much harder to read as the textures actually change. 

You can't put on ruined clothes, although ruined clothes you are wearing don't just fall away.

Ruined magazines won't work in a gun, though you can still empty them.

Ruined melee weapons won't work.

Ruined scopes are useless.

Other than that, I don't think things much matter.

whats the point in a protector box if you kill someone everything inside of its ruined? pretty good logic there

Well it's been said before that the condition doesn't matter much but I'm pretty OCD about condition so I won't pick up anything that isnt worn or pristine. Plus damaged items/clothes just look bad.

• Like 1

whats the point in a protector box if you kill someone everything inside of its ruined? pretty good logic there

The point is to compactly pack everything inside so you get 6 slots instead of 4. I already got 5 of them in my backpack so I could just take of my pants and still survive easily.

Last I've checked, at least with the pistol, you can use ruined magazines to use the weapon unless the gun is ruined. I don't know about the m4. You can also put on ruined clothes/backpacks, I've found ruined pants and put them on (did so last night). Ruined ammo doesn't matter either, especially with the magnum and mosin. You can load the ammo and eject it and it'll be pristine. Some items even regain condition randomly, I've had two press vests that have gone from ruined and bandly damaged to pristine randomly. The condition system is clearly buggy and incomplete, so really guns and scopes are the only things I've come across that matter (guns so long as they aren't broken and scopes below worn are cracked or shattered except the long range scope)

Clothing items, helmets, etc, give better protection from zombies when they are in better condition.

I easily bleed from a single hit when I only have a t-shirt but with full gear on I usually don't have to bandage from a zombie hit or two.

Just to confirm, Helmets protect u as stated in the description. I survived a headshot from a mosin, about 300m distance.

I was unconscious for like a min or so, and after i came back, bandaged myself, i saw that my previously pristine Ballistic Helmet and Rocket Aviators were in fact ruined, kept those lucky glasses after that encounter)

Edited by XA3

ruined melee weapons still kill zombies in the same number of hits

Edited by noblue

keep your helmets pristine if you want to take a shot. Make sure they are pristine with motorcycle helmets too if you want punches to the head without getting KO'd as easily.

Edited by Gekkonidae

I was hit by a couple zombies a bunch of times and it was ruining a hunting backpack and a bunch of motorcycle helmets i found in kamy (i had to routinely switch out the helmets) and once the hunting backpack was ruined it also destroyed a PU scope I had in the hunting backpack. So I would recommend routinely switching out armor and backpacks if they get damaged.

I don't know if it was the server or if they recently changed the game but i actually like it this way (if it wasn't already like this and i just didn't notice) it makes you be a lot more cautious of zombies. I actually ended up crouching around elektro until i logged out lol.

i don't know whats wrong with my font 

Edited by unwiserwinter0

From personal  experience here is what I can tell you. Ruined items offer no protections or use. Ammo will not load, etc.

Badly damaged bandages, or damaged bandages have chance to infect your wounds and make you sick. Clothing and armor will also apply no armor from zombie attacks, or bullets if ruined and offers far less protection if it is badly damaged. Weapons and scopes obviously are impaired.

I was hit by a couple zombies a bunch of times and it was ruining a hunting backpack and a bunch of motorcycle helmets i found in kamy (i had to routinely switch out the helmets) and once the hunting backpack was ruined it also destroyed a PU scope I had in the hunting backpack. So I would recommend routinely switching out armor and backpacks if they get damaged.

I don't know if it was the server or if they recently changed the game but i actually like it this way (if it wasn't already like this and i just didn't notice) it makes you be a lot more cautious of zombies. I actually ended up crouching around elektro until i logged out lol.

i don't know whats wrong with my font 

^ lol wtf. Nice first post. Highlight your text and click the eraser button at the top left of your editing bar.

Do we have confirmation that bullets won't shoot? In my m4, I unloaded a pristine mag and put ruined bullets in and it shot fine.

^ lol wtf. Nice first post. Highlight your text and click the eraser button at the top left of your editing bar.

Lol, that was me, i kept typing my password wrong and my main account got locked out for 15 minutes. I won't be posting on that account that often.

What I'm curious about is the Bipod. Now I have a pristine Mosin, with a pristine LRS, however my bipod is "worn". Does it affect my accuracy if deployed? What if it retracted, does it still affect my accuracy?

Damaged LSR/Bipod doesn't affect accuracy YET.

Wondering, some ppl tell about ruined M4/Mosin/Magnum/FNX - where do you see that?

Ruined 7.76 ammo work well.

Ruined .357 won't work.

Ruined .45 won't work.

Ruined .45 magazines won't work.

IV-kits cannot combined with ruined blood/salinebags

Edited by Guest

I thought you can actually lose items while running if you've packed them in a damaged backpack or piece of clothing, no ?

Fashion-victim here, I always go for pristine clothing anyway  :rolleyes:

Red 

Does anybody else think whole damage system is completely fucked at the moment? An exit wound is usually just of the same diameter as the ammunition that causes it, so it makes no sense that a single bullet to the torso ruins 80% of items contained on the players torso (backpack, loading vest, shirt).