1S1K-Airborne

We NEED some way to identify heros and bandits.

If you could identify bandits then it would take away a HUGE component of the game.

There is no other game I know of that just walking down a street with someone you met can be so suspenseful.

"Are they really friendly?", "Are they leading me into an ambush?", "Will I cope a bullet to the back if I go point entering this house?"

These are all questions that would not be as intense if you knew who was good and bad.

At the moment, I get a shot of adrenaline every time I see another player, even in the distance.

And in close quarters it's intense as, weapons raised and uncertain what will happen. That's the appeal of the game.

If you stumbled across another player and saw they were a hero, it would completely take the edge off the player to player interactions in this game.

I mean, if all you want is to run around and know who is on your 'team' and who is not, then COB and BF4 have little markers to tell you.

• Like 1

love it

In real life you also don't respawn or can do infinite run. Don't do real life argument in video game. Video game has gameplay.

And for gameplay there is a need for a way to distinguish bandits.

I must disagree with that, the fun thing about the standalone in my opinion, is the fact that you can't tell if some one is good or bad, correct it is a game, but bringing this human element of not knowing who is who adds to the experience, even if it is based of something in real life. I have met nice players, but only because of talking, or they surrendered after a gun fight, you get to know people. My heart is always pumping when talking to players, it would be less fun if you could tell from miles if it was a bandit. But I do get your standpoint to.

For everyone saying that its good not to know, that would still apply. A bandit or hero identification would have to be earned either way, most would be running round as survivors with no identification either way. What they need is a more robust system to gain/loose the identification so it cant be exploited by squads.

I was thinking the identification could be a facial expression or face texture. Its pretty lore friendly, maybe some blood spatter on face from an axe kill.

That way bandits would have some sort of ID but could cover it up with a mask or something, or wash it off. Then when you meet you can ask them "why you have a mask on?" maybe try get em to take it off to prove they haven't killed. Same could go for hands, bloody ones after searching a body, could be washed off with rags+water or hidden by gloves.

At least then theres lore friendly "pointers" towards how someone has been playing. With the option to clean yourself up after each kill or hide your facial expression with a mask it would make bandits have to think more about making a kill, how they will cover/clean it up or explain to the next person they meet..."why are your hands and face covered in blood.....and why do you have that creepy expression on your face?" :)

At a bare minimum this should be an easily implemented mod for future private servers.  We're paying for it, it should be our choice.

You don't like it, don't play on my server.....lol

SEE IMAGE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST FOR AN EXAMPLE.

1.  Some of you like to be a KOS bandit.  Got it.

2.  Some of us would like to be Heros.  But we can't do it with the way the game currently is, unless you like being a bullet / axe sponge.

Something to identify heros and bandits "at distance" is needed to enable 2 to happen.  Something visible if you can actually SEE the person.  It could be an armband, face wrap, mask, whatever.  Don't care what it is.

Distances:

Just your eyes = maybe see it at 50-100 meters

Short range scope = see it at 100-200 meters

Long range scope = see it at 200-400 meters

EDIT:  It can be something like an armband that you would select "Yes Wear" or "No Destroy" when you spawn each time.  You get to CHOOSE if you want to have the armband on or not.  It would not be a lootable item though.  That would make the system pointless / broken.

I really LOVE that Rocket's videos all have a bunch of friendly players that he meets in a private locked server.....lol  I would love it even more if he went into a full public server and ran around Electro or Cherno for a couple of hours.  It would be a shit video and not a good advertisement for the game, because he'd get KOS'd over and over and over.  I would love to see Rocket getting chased for 20-30 minutes by some 12 year old with an axe.

Having something visual that would tell the difference between Hero and Bandit would NOT ruin your gameplay.  You can STILL KOS.  It will NOT prevent KOS style gameplay or ruin the game.  However it would ENABLE people to be Heros if they wanted to.  YOU get to play as a KOS bandit, but we can't play as a Hero unless we want to eat bullets or an axe in 90% of player interactions.

Honestly I think all the hate (and I'm sure troll posts below) from the KOS guys is because they are scared to death of groups of Heros leaving other Heros alone, and hunting them down.

Also for those that WHINE that it's a huge disadvantage to have identification..........guess what.........being a KOS bandit is a HUGE advantage over Heros who have to try to interact with other players.  Everyone you see.....you kill.  No questions asked.  Heros can't do that, so there's an inherent problem with the BALANCE of gameplay.  We can't identify other heros, and can't KOS everyone.

If you're not scared, why hate on the idea?  Can't up your game to deal with a few Heros?

You can make the humanity system relatively unexploitable by issuing different points for kills:

Kill a hero = -1000 humanity

Kill a civ = -500 humanity

Kill a bandit = +250 humanity

So ..... bandits and heroes rigth? and heroes cant shoot on sigth? wtf   bandits vrs heroes sound me like COD or Counter strikes , and dayz isnt that .  one can do wathever they want , and the humanity points arent helpfull on making dayz a unique game , GO PLAY your TDM games in other place buddy , there's no reason why a bandit cant be friendly , or why a hero cant shot whenever he weant , REALLLY ? teams before spawn? WTF ill go eat a rotten banana without having charcoal tabs if dayz becomes this ..............................................................( OF COURSE :  if you are a third moding ppl  with your own server , NICE  do it if you want COD servers in dayz go n.n )

At a bare minimum this should be an easily implemented mod for future private servers.  We're paying for it, it should be our choice.

You don't like it, don't play on my server.....lol

SEE IMAGE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST FOR AN EXAMPLE.

1.  Some of you like to be a KOS bandit.  Got it.

2.  Some of us would like to be Heros.  But we can't do it with the way the game currently is, unless you like being a bullet / axe sponge.

Something to identify heros and bandits "at distance" is needed to enable 2 to happen.  Something visible if you can actually SEE the person.  It could be an armband, face wrap, mask, whatever.  Don't care what it is.

Distances:

Just your eyes = maybe see it at 50-100 meters

Short range scope = see it at 100-200 meters

Long range scope = see it at 200-400 meters

EDIT:  It can be something like an armband that you would select "Yes Wear" or "No Destroy" when you spawn each time.  You get to CHOOSE if you want to have the armband on or not.  It would not be a lootable item though.  That would make the system pointless / broken.

I really LOVE that Rocket's videos all have a bunch of friendly players that he meets in a private locked server.....lol  I would love it even more if he went into a full public server and ran around Electro or Cherno for a couple of hours.  It would be a shit video and not a good advertisement for the game, because he'd get KOS'd over and over and over.  I would love to see Rocket getting chased for 20-30 minutes by some 12 year old with an axe.

Having something visual that would tell the difference between Hero and Bandit would NOT ruin your gameplay.  You can STILL KOS.  It will NOT prevent KOS style gameplay or ruin the game.  However it would ENABLE people to be Heros if they wanted to.  YOU get to play as a KOS bandit, but we can't play as a Hero unless we want to eat bullets or an axe in 90% of player interactions.

Honestly I think all the hate (and I'm sure troll posts below) from the KOS guys is because they are scared to death of groups of Heros leaving other Heros alone, and hunting them down.

Also for those that WHINE that it's a huge disadvantage to have identification..........guess what.........being a KOS bandit is a HUGE advantage over Heros who have to try to interact with other players.  Everyone you see.....you kill.  No questions asked.  Heros can't do that, so there's an inherent problem with the BALANCE of gameplay.  We can't identify other heros, and can't KOS everyone.

If you're not scared, why hate on the idea?  Can't up your game to deal with a few Heros?

You can make the humanity system relatively unexploitable by issuing different points for kills:

Kill a hero = -1000 humanity

Kill a civ = -500 humanity

Kill a bandit = +250 humanity

So ..... bandits and heroes rigth? and heroes cant shoot on sigth? wtf   bandits vrs heroes sound me like COD or Counter strikes , and dayz isnt that .  one can do wathever they want , and the humanity points arent helpfull on making dayz a unique game , GO PLAY your TDM games in other place buddy , there's no reason why a bandit cant be friendly , or why a hero cant shot whenever he weant , REALLLY ? teams before spawn? WTF ill go eat a rotten banana without having charcoal tabs if dayz becomes this ..............................................................( OF COURSE :  if you are a third moding ppl  with your own server , NICE  do it if you want COD servers in dayz go n.n ) and your points for kills, its soooooo COD and batlefield when you kill someone and got kill/assistance points n.n

Something needs to be done about it and skins are the best idea. Until something it done that game is going to stay death match sim 2014. Skins worked in the mod and they would work here. But seeing as to how we have clothing here make it where once you have the humanity to get them then there is only one place to get them and you must spend your humanity on them. And if a bandit kills you and takes your clothing then so be it. He killed you so he gets to pretend to be a hero to KOS. And in this way you have the choice to not use it at all. So bandits can still not use the bandit clothing and pretend to be civs so they can KOS but at least it will cut down some on the KOS.

I once saw a post a while back that if you came in contact with some one that had shitty humanity a little message would pop up "so n so makes you feel un easy"

no there used to be a thing with heart palpitations, but it wasn't the best..

• Like 1

Surprised more people did not like my idea of different animations for bandits and heroes.

It is subtle requires the player to pay attention and it most importantly gives the player a means or should I say a little bit of information about what type of player a stranger is.

If any sort of system was implemented i would prefer it to be like a few people mentioned earlier. Something like increased heartbeat or a message about how your uneasy or something or different body language and such.

Surprised more people did not like my idea of different animations for bandits and heroes.

It is subtle requires the player to pay attention and it most importantly gives the player a means or should I say a little bit of information about what type of player a stranger is.

for the simple reason Gib that the system is exploitable, this is the problem with a "humanity" system, people end up undeservedly with bandit skins as the computer cannot mitigate subjectively, & bandits deliberately exploit hero skins.  So at the end of the day, what's the point? the game gives the player already many different ways to communicate intention. Personally I think what it would benefit most from is a means of nonlethal take down to knock a player out for 30 sec's / minute so they can be subdued.  It's all about control.

Edited by Calibre

Isn't part of why dayz is fun the potential confusion of who's who? We've had some of our best moments with friendly fire because of this... I'd be very sad if they brought back the skins...

Isn't part of why dayz is fun the potential confusion of who's who? We've had some of our best moments with friendly fire because of this... I'd be very sad if they brought back the skins...

Absolutely but part of the problem is as long as there is no way to identify a bandit from a hero in game everyone will kos.

Those that would have killed on sight regardless would still do it, but those who are hesitant to will not take the risk and kill just in-case the seemingly friendly player is not friendly.

If they add a subtle way to identify bandits from heros such as different animations for each type or small specs of blood on the clothing of bandits you might potentially see alot more player interaction amongst those that actually want it.

• Like 2

I didn't read the 53 pages leading to this post, but OP is suggesting a point system/armband type thing?

I think we just need more clothes/sets/headgear so that crews can distinguish themselves from others.

Good guy crews and bandit crews alike.

Everyone wearing a boonie/ballistic/beret, or one of three "Bandit" masks is boring.

We need more diversity!!!

P.s. the new Police hat is great, love it.

Absolutely but part of the problem is as long as there is no way to identify a bandit from a hero in game everyone will kos.

Those that would have killed on sight regardless would still do it, but those who are hesitant to will not take the risk and kill just in-case the seemingly friendly player is not friendly.

If they add a subtle way to identify bandits from heros such as different animations for each type or small specs of blood on the clothing of bandits you might potentially see alot more player interaction amongst those that actually want it.

Frosti pointed me towards this thread - thanks mate.

I'm also for some very very very subtle differences that would allow us to distinguish a bandit form a hero. After all, the game doesn't allow us to utilize 90% of our sensory perception which we use in everyday life when judging someone - in the game we all are an army of clones with 5 or 6 templates, just dressed differently and with no facial expressions whatsoever.

Let's remember that in reality, tricking someone into perceiving us the way we want to is not that easy task.

However, the difference has to be subtle enough to only be noticed when in very close proximity. Totally different stances or blood stains would be giving away the personality way to easily.

Periodical shaking hands maybe? I'm not really sure what should it be, just how visible it should be. :)

Edited by retro19

Frosti pointed me towards this thread - thanks mate.

I'm also for some very very very subtle differences that would allow us to distinguish a bandit form a hero. After all, the game doesn't allow us to utilize 90% of our sensory perception which we use in everyday life when judging someone - in the game we all are an army of clones with 5 or 6 templates, just dressed differently and with no facial expressions whatsoever.

Let's remember that in reality, tricking someone into perceiving us the way we want to is not that easy task.

However, the difference has to be subtle enough to only be noticed when in very close proximity. Totally different stances or blood stains would be giving away the personality way to easily.

Periodical shaking hands maybe? I'm not really sure what should it be, just how visible it should be. :)

Sorry, but I think you just have to accept the limits of the available technology on this issue. The game cannot simulate realistic perceptions of other people's body language or nervous ticks - it's just too much to ask.

Without some arbitrary - and in my view detrimental and pointless - definition of what a 'bandit' or a 'hero' actually is, the whole concept of identifying players' 'humanity' is doomed anyway. Just forget about it and move on, I reckon.

"Without some way to identify bandits from heroes, everybody will KoS"? Don't agree there's much truth in that, personally, and wouldn't see it as a problem even if there were.

Sorry, but I think you just have to accept the limits of the available technology on this issue. The game cannot simulate realistic perceptions of other people's body language or nervous ticks - it's just too much to ask.

Without some arbitrary - and in my view detrimental and pointless - definition of what a 'bandit' or a 'hero' actually is, the whole concept of identifying players' 'humanity' is doomed anyway. Just forget about it and move on, I reckon.

"Without some way to identify bandits from heroes, everybody will KoS"? Don't agree there's much truth in that, personally, and wouldn't see it as a problem even if there were.

Ad. Par. 1 - Of course it's possible. The extent of detail modern games can reach is way beyond that. A simple idle animation can realistically mimic emotions and that's tech from last decade. Actually, the face of your character could even mimic your own with the use of your laptop camera if such a system was required. My company was developing a mobile app once which recognizes facial emotions. I'm not saying it should be added to DayZ, just that the tech is not rocket science anymore.

Ad. Par. 2 and Par. 3 - Those are just opinions - don't ask us to drop the subject just because yours is different. Discussions breed ideas, regardless of being good or bad, it gives the developers (or future modders) something to pick from.

Ad. Par. 1 - Of course it's possible. The extent of detail modern games can reach is way beyond that. A simple idle animation can realistically mimic emotions and that's tech from last decade. Actually, the face of your character could even mimic your own with the use of your laptop camera if such a system was required. My company was developing a mobile app once which recognizes facial emotions. I'm not saying it should be added to DayZ, just that the tech is not rocket science anymore.

Ad. Par. 2 and Par. 3 - Those are just opinions - don't ask us to drop the subject just because yours is different. Discussions breed ideas, regardless of being good or bad, it gives the developers (or future modders) something to pick from.

I perhaps didn't mean to sound so dismissive as it turned out, so apologies for that.

But my main objection to this idea is the very concept of the game defining players as 'heroes' or as 'bandits'. I don't see myself as either of those things, and I don't agree that such a distinction should be made at all. To me, we're just survivors in a scenario: we can do whatever we want because, in an apocalypse, there is no authority to pass judgment over our actions. We have to judge another player's trustworthiness according to how they behave and from their voice. For the game to make this judgment for us would be fake, as far as I see it, and I don't see how the game could possibly depict facial expressions or body language clues accurately without first deciding by some artificial mechanic whether we are 'good' or 'bad'.

How about something simple like when you kill someone close range you get a blood splatter on your clothing? More you kill close more blood you get on you. Alternatively if you kill from range no blood splatter until you approach the body and loot it.