1S1K-Airborne

We NEED some way to identify heros and bandits.

Hero Mode = All the Disadvantages, follow people around, sneak up and say HI FRIENDLY, hope you don't get shot / axed to death for helping

Look, if you don't know how to approach someone without dying, that's your problem. Sort it out yourself, how about you change the way you play the game? rather than asking for the game to change for you? 

I would suggest, firstly, have something to offer the person you're approaching other than tedious conversation with a stranger on the internet. You're a hero, meaning you're meant to be helping people, establish whether or not the person you're approaching wants your help in the first place. If they don't, retreat.   

Secondly, pretend you're a bandit without the stealing and killing bits, approach from a position of strength, and don't trust the person you're talking to. 

thirdly, why the fuck do you not have some way of defending yourself? If that guy with the axe decides he doesn't want your help, you tried, shoot him down, OBVIOUSLY.

If that guy with the m4 decides he is in fact, not friendly, why the fuck was he allowed to keep his gun in his hands in the first place? 

Finally, find a way to give people items in a way that doesn't mean you're sitting there with your inventory open, your thumb up your ass, and their gun pointed at your head. For example, go into the next room, alone, drop the gear there, tell them they can grab it when you're gone. Ideally heroing works best when you can't see the person you're giving gear to, because then both of you are feeling relatively safe. 

• Like 3

Dear god...

Can this thread please die xD

Yes it can when sensible people like us stop bumping it up :D

• Like 2

I cannot believe that someone cannot hack the pace of this game, creates a thread crying about KOS, thinking that anything will change.

We need to stop the KOS culture !!!! hahahahahaha

I am glad you confirmed you played WarZ, that says everything about you, the thread and your reasons behind wanting to dumb the game down.

GG

• Like 3

The fact that the system as explained here is exploitable (A fact you yourself admit to) makes it pointless to begin with. Why add (and spend time coding) an artificial system that people are simply going to circumvent anyway?

Outside of letting you (think you) know who to shoot and who not to shoot, what purpose does this system serve?

How does this benefit play-styles other than yours? (This should be a question everyone asks themselves before making a suggestion)

Why would the devs, after having implemented, removed, and re-implemented such a system in the mod, wish to go through that again with Standalone (especially after the creative lead has expressed distaste with the idea)?

How is this "authentic"?

Why is it you can't deal with people disagreeing with you without slinging accusations or insults?

(PS: There isn't one "No" in this post)

(PSS: Other than that one.)

• Like 1

Well i haven't read most of the pages, because there are 31 right now.. but...

What makes you thing a bandit would rip of his armband i he could? he could be disguised as a hero while killing people who trust him.

second is... i don't think killing a bandit should increase humanity. each kill should reduce it, wether it's a good or a bad guy.

• Like 3

Yes it can when sensible people like us stop bumping it up :D

Hey I only replied because someone just did and my response didnt matter :P

CRAP! i'm bumping this again replying to you xD

• Like 1

You can design an identification system that supports all those emotions still, but gives vigilante players who only target 100% positive bandit I.Ds something to shoot at more often and give pure survivalist PvE leaning players more of a chance to have more REALISTICALLY friendly encounters with other survivalists.

If I can instantly recognise a 'bandit' It negates the effect somewhat...  realistically how many strangers are you going to share maybe your last can of beans with?  What is a '100% positive bandit'?    In my opinion the only way to confirm a bandit is to actually witness bandit behaviour.  If you don't witness a crime, no crime as taken place.

Yeah this game doesn't need a system for differentiating Bandits and Heroes. I play as a hero often and part of this risk in helping out strangers is that they might stab you in the back. Or face. But I have had a fare amount of success in being a Hero, most of the time I am able to "herd" bambis together and help them get geared in one of the coastal town with out having one of them try to take a shot at me.  People need to remember that this isn't like other games where you are meant to feel like you have a good chance every time you play, this game is the opposite, this is a game that is almost 100% against the player. Adding in some optional good guy, bad guy identification system will ruin a great part of the DayZ experience which is the player interaction. It would make it easy to see who is and isn't going to shoot you. I love that when I run up on people they assume I am there to kill or rob them. So I have to do what I can to make them feel somewhat safe around me(like giving weapons, food, water). Arm bands would kill all of these awesome encounters.

• Like 1

It's not a perfect system, but it's better than the KOS culture that is forced into this game.

I kind of pity the naivety...   You honestly think there will be some sort of foolproof way to implement a system of benefit to you?

Like i said already, my playstyle is that of the voyeur, i enjoy what some people would consider the 'boredom' of this game... I enjoy the 'walking simulator'. Or hunting people, not to kill them.. just to play hide and seek.. Losing my items doesn't bother me, because looting is currently very easy.  That's Dayz, i enjoy it.  (sorry you don't)

If your 'system' got implemented and i saw a bunch of froobs all standing in the centre of a town shaking hands around a campfire being all 'friendly'  --  i'd actually be more inclined to take up murdering just to fuck with their day and explain to them,  this isn't minecraft.

If you're determined this is the game for you, and you want to cosplay the badass hero... Can i suggest you only approach a player and say 'friendly'  if you're already aiming your gun at them...  You might not get killed as much  --   No promises though.

Again,  i'm sure once the survival aspect and zombies are actually made challenging, there will be some natural incentive to cooperation.  You suggestion doesn't work, and it's not needed (for anyone but the people who want to meet new friends - on a murder simulator)

• Like 1

love it

In real life you also don't respawn or can do infinite run. Don't do real life argument in video game. Video game has gameplay.

And for gameplay there is a need for a way to distinguish bandits.

Your point of it NEEDING to be there for the sake of game play makes it sound objective when it's really subjective.

The game is based around communication and interaction, not in-your-face visual ques.

On private servers, whatever, do as you please I guess. But I think Rocket should stick by their vision and not deviate to cater to people who are just not cut out for what it has to offer.

• Like 3

Your point of it NEEDING to be there for the sake of game play makes it sound objective when it's really subjective.

The game is based around communication and interaction, not in-your-face visual ques.

On private servers, whatever, do as you please I guess. But I think Rocket should stick by their vision and not deviate to cater to people who are just not cut out for what it has to offer.

Well said, DayZ isn't meant to be easy. It actually has a learning curve. A tip for anyone that thinks this is a good idea: take some time and travel in the forrest and be aware of what is around you. I hear so many people complain about being KoSed but these are the same people that just run around on roads, in the open with no cover. Play smart you will have a better experience. I try to take my time, If I see someone geared to the teeth then I will watch them for a while to try and figure out if they are looting or just trying to find people to kill. When they aren't paying attention thats when I move in on them and get a good position to talk to them. Risk vs Reward. Weigh your decisions better and you will have less bullets in you.

I love KOS as it makes the game hard. If I wanted a game that was easy, well shit I wouldn't because that would be so dull.

Stop trying to dumb the game down to the lowest common denominator.

If you want Lame I hear WarZ is still going...

Nobody here in this thread is asking for KOS to go away, we want to increase it. Well, i do. I want all out war (in a way, not literally) and i want all my enemies to have good weapons too and KOS me the moment they see me. Thats not nerfing.

Edited by Thane

Why are you all assuming this is going to make the game easier? This is going to make it so "heroes" start engaging enemies more instead of leaving them be. This puts heroes in more danger because now we are closing to the enemy with plenty of chance to be seen and killed ourselves. It makes the game more dangerous for murderous players too. I killed 15 armed players in a day when i got bored and decided to PVP, when i normally would have steered clear of them.

Furthermore, we can design this system any way we want, putting the difficulty anywhere we choose.

Nobody here in this thread is asking for KOS to go away, we want to increase it. Well, i do. I want all out war (in a way, not literally) and i want all my enemies to have good weapons too and KOS me the moment they see me. Thats not nerfing.

No mate, that's called.. Team Deathmatch.

or Wasteland mod for Arma2...

You can also do the whole Dayz lone-wolf on that thing...

..And they have doritos over their heads...

Imagining that these ideas were truly 'free' to implement -- meaning its not going to cost time and money away from actual development of new features / bugfixing that's actually a good idea..

...What i honestly don't understand is what possible benefit people think these armbands will provide?

So it says you're a friendly? I don't know you... If you get into my 'personal space'  of about a mile around me, and start pointing a gun at me, i'm still going to kill you out of self preservation...

I can recognise my friends / guys ive just seen who dont kill me, through communication  or clothing already?

If I can instantly recognise a 'bandit' It negates the effect somewhat...  realistically how many strangers are you going to share maybe your last can of beans with?  What is a '100% positive bandit'?    In my opinion the only way to confirm a bandit is to actually witness bandit behaviour.  If you don't witness a crime, no crime as taken place.

Yes, this is my whole problem with not having identification, i play as a vigilante and it is far too time consuming to try and witness a murder that you know for sure wasn't just self-defense from a guy exploring the map. I have never witnessed a robbery either, not once in SA or the mod. So if i, as a responsible vigilante, the game becomes a people watching game. I want action, but i don't want to KOS PvE types, nor separate these types from each other when they are grouping because it is a huge pain in the ass to get together. Full on factioned PVP is the best solution for my playstyle.

Yes, this is my whole problem with not having identification, i play as a vigilante and it is far too time consuming to try and witness a murder that you know for sure wasn't just self-defense from a guy exploring the map. I have never witnessed a robbery either, not once in SA or the mod. So if i, as a responsible vigilante, the game becomes a people watching game. I want action, but i don't want to KOS PvE types, nor separate these types from each other when they are grouping because it is a huge pain in the ass to get together. Full on factioned PVP is the best solution for my playstyle.

So basically, you're lazy.

• Like 2

...And he's actually describing Wasteland mod on Arma2.

The game you want is already out there.

Why are you all assuming this is going to make the game easier? This is going to make it so "heroes" start engaging enemies more instead of leaving them be. This puts heroes in more danger because now we are closing to the enemy with plenty of chance to be seen and killed ourselves. It makes the game more dangerous for murderous players too. I killed 15 armed players in a day when i got bored and decided to PVP, when i normally would have steered clear of them.

Furthermore, we can design this system any way we want, putting the difficulty anywhere we choose.

This game isn't about heroes vs. bandits. The reason people play that way is because there is no other threat right now. Putting in this visual que PVP system would just perpetuate this behavior once zombies are working as intended in the numbers intended.

Personally I believe that when zombies are working the way they're supposed to, shooting at random people for the hell of it will be way too risky because you'll get swarmed and lose all your stuff to a zombie zerg.

Remember, this is not the finished product and it's not a strictly PVP oriented game. It's supposed to be a survival game that just so happens to include the ability to kill anyone.

No mate, that's called.. Team Deathmatch.

Right now, having 250 hours in SA, i would call what we have now a mix of deathmatch and group deathmatch.

Imagining that these ideas were truly 'free' to implement -- meaning its not going to cost time and money away from actual development of new features / bugfixing that's actually a good idea..

Whats a good idea or not is all a matter to opinion isn't it.

...What i honestly don't understand is what possible benefit people think these armbands will provide?

The same as in the mod which had it?...

It has a lot to do with the limitations of any play-style whos basis is a strict rules of engagement limiting the amount of action you see while making it so the action you do get involves being shot at first from a guy who popped around a corner while you were looking the other way, taking all your shit time and time again. You might say be more careful and i'd respond with im probably in the top .5% of careful players. Origins mod had full skins and i was shot by as just as many survivors without bandit skins if not more. The difference for people with my play style, is that now if i see a serial murderer with a red armband, i can go get him.

So it says you're a friendly? I don't know you... If you get into my 'personal space'  of about a mile around me, and start pointing a gun at me, i'm still going to kill you out of self preservation...

I personally don't want a full proof system, i want to retain a certain amount of uncertainty, i just want some targets to take out myself without spending 40 hours of playtime between them as there just isn't nearly enough explorable area or other survival activities to make the game fun after a certain amount of time IMO and what i fear too is that none of the stuff they will add, like hunting, will be nearly NEARLY enough to fill in those gaps.

I can recognize my friends / guys ive just seen who dont kill me, through communication  or clothing already?

I guess confronting people and gauging their responses seems boring to me, plus i hate to say it but im older than most DayZ players i hear speaking and i don't like chating it up with young folks as we generally have little in common and its a little awkward sometimes. As far as people who've let you passed. I've seen so many youtube videos of people giving a friendly hello, then being killed by another team member for their weapons that unless you are safer in a group this makes no sense to me. Its just more people to avoid, more people watching. I want to hunt [fictional] evil and i'd like "bandits" to not be labeled "bad", but just other survivors paid by the remaining military/gov structure to kill survivors to stop the further spread of the virus. With "heroes" simply people who know about it and are resisting that. The [hard to see, faded] red armbands themselves becoming the [fictional] way that these mercenary survivors identify each other to keep from killing each other, with perhaps a red cross on it to draw in innocent survivors.

Wha? I'd say sticking to my strict moral rules of engagement and hardly ever killing anyone, despite wanting to PVP more is pretty damn unlazy. How many fucking hours DO YOU have in SA and the mod?

...And he's actually describing Wasteland mod on Arma2.

The game you want is already out there.

You guys are making me laugh because what i am describing is a little program called DAYZ MOD, CREATED BY A GUY NAMED ROCKET, WHICH HAD BANDIT SKINS....

Thane at first i thought you were just retarded, now i must say i can't decide if that's the case or you are just trolling..

If you fucking mention how many hours you don't have a life or "its was in the mod" No one will take you seriously. Sort your shit out and reply with some proper counter points to what people are posting ffs. 

My honest opionon is that DayZ isn't the game for you from what you are telling us, Which by no means is a bad thing.. There's heaps of games that would cater to your armband crap.

Thane at first i thought you were just retarded, now i must say i can't decide if that's the case or you are just trolling..

If you fucking mention how many hours you don't have a life or "its was in the mod" No one will take you seriously. Sort your shit out and reply with some proper counter points to what people are posting ffs. 

My honest opionon is that DayZ isn't the game for you from what you are telling us, Which by no means is a bad thing.. There's heaps of games that would cater to your armband crap.

arent you that hacker from Redux? dang maybe you should'nt cast the first stone ect. 

This isnt a game of cowboys and indians dude... its a survival game and the reward is self satisfaction. What youre trying to do is give the game some type of objective that simply doesnt coincide with the orginality of the game.