felo

Seasons

Gta5 released a special winter version of their map. It wasn't a new map, but a type of overlay and atmospheric effect combo that was super effective.

I see no deal breaking technical reason why DayZ can't have seasons.

Especially considering Dean successfully synced rain across servers and clients and also the compelling video evidence of procedural snow generation posted above.

In my opinion, seasons would be near the top of Deans wanted features list as it greatly enhances the environmental survival aspect of the game.

Wounding an animal/player and tracking it via blood trail through the snow is a scenario that needs to be in this game, regardless of how well The Last of Us pulled this off (via Hannah)

All we need is Snow map! just each part of map would have different type of weather conditions!

Just watched Frankie's latest video on Arma3 DayZ mod and the map changes from summer to winter.

Pretty cool effect but didn't see any storms or anything too savage so I'm sure could really be beefed up for SA.

• Like 2

Seasons:

You need 4 different Maps and different Weather and a restart for season change.

Array_Map (different trees, shrubbery, textures)

Spring_Map[1]

Summer_Map [2]

Autumn_Map [3]

Winter_Map [4]

Array_Weather

rain[1]

snow[2]

Array_Temperature

Spring_Temperature (min 5 degree - max 23 dgree) [1]

Summer_Temperature (min 15 degree - max 40 degree) [2]

Autumn_Temperature (min 10 degree - max 35 degree) [3]

Winter_Temperature [min -25 degree - max 5 degree) [4]

serveradmin options:

Serverrestart every XHours

Season start [choose season]

clear restart counter (also consolecommand)

Server starts, the first Map will taken after next start next Map will taken and so on.

example with 3 hours restarts (i´m not a programmer):

If restart $counter=0

then start Array_Map[1] set Array_Weather[1] and Array_Temperature [1]

if time 180 minutes is down to 10minutes then add +1 to $counter

if restart $counter=1

then start Array_Map[2] set Array_Weather[1] and Array_Temperature [2]

if restart $counter=2

then start Array_Map[3] set Array_Weather[1] and Array_Temperature [3]

Check Temperature if  0< then set Array_Weather[2]

if restart $counter=3

then start Array_Map[4] set Array_Weather[1] and Array_Temperature [4]

Check Temperature if  0< then set Array_Weather[2]

if time 180 minutes is down to 10minutes then set $counter=0

additional:

if Array_Map is [1] or [4] turn of crops on trees and shrubbery

Edited by DaGolem
  • Like 3

definitely i think it would be awesome if in winter weapon spawns were high and food was low like namalsk. Vice versa in summer time. All servers would be the same though.

Fuck yes i want seasons! that would be sick.  Also certain weather traits to go with it.  Like snow blizzards in the winter, coupled with maybe some problem zombie hordes, which forces the player in dangerous situations.  It would be cool if they last a while too.  Like maybe a few days at least per season.  It would be annoying to have new weather every few hours.  Please give us weather!!!!

Rocket already suggested this and they might add it later on. Still really like the idea! In the winter more white camo would spawn perhaps?

or you could just make ur own winter camo, with like white rags n shit

I like the idea a lot. But I remember reading somewhere on here that it was said that implementing snow would be EXTREMELY difficult, & would basically require the map to be rebuilt from scratch. But again, I like the idea a lot, I just think it's a huge task for the dev team especially at this point in development.

• Like 1

Thought myself a few times about that, fingers crossed closer to completion of the game we might just see it. 

I'm all for seasons as well, however including all four would probably be overkill, especially on the devs.  A warm and cold season should be the only ones to focus on.

Either that or the Skyrim idea, its gets colder the further north you go.

Edited by SpardisJX

I don't really feel the need for seasons, even thought it's a cool idea. But I do like the idea of having snow up on the North mountains, and having a warmer climate at the South, near the beaches.

ALSO, it's about time we see some beach resorts near the South. And sand for that matter. Kamenka could be a beach resort :D

I think that the server owner should be able to chose what season they want their server to be, or maybe set it to rotate after a long period of time

I don't care how difficult, just do it. It would change gameplay in an unimaginable way.

From what I read, they are making improvements to the engine and servers that would give a better use for particle systems.

Now, how I think of it. Work on a ground and object surface and particle collision, add in snow storm as a small particles, stack them over objects.

I wonder how much computing power that would take.

I think it is manageable though. Once they build up the core of the game, they could work on it. Afterall, it would add unmeasureable authenticity to a survival game that aims to be realistic. Seasons are part of the life and in survival situation, pay huge role.

Edit: I don't think infected would die from cold. They are, afterall, fictional characters in DayZ environment and can do whatever they are scripted to do. That is, survive winter as well.

Edited by SGT. Kalme

I'd like it if they did it slowly for each season like real life but the climate in different areas is different so some people might get confused but I don't think it'd matter

Seasons are a must for this game in my book. Seasons should also make the virus mutate zombies and give them new passive and active abilities and new behavior. In example: During winter zombies could maybe stay still in the outside and use the snow as camo and when a player gets close they suddenly burst out of the snow and attack him. Zombies could also start mimicking their old human habits by staying inside houses and under trees while it's raining? 

I completely agree 100% with seasons but I also think they should reflect real life time line of the reigon. You play in the Us and it's winter then it's winter, if you play in South  Africa and it's summer it's summer. Run these the full season and like 3-4 weeks before the next season the clotes for that season start to spawn, not before, that way people can't hoard them, some will  but mostly people wouldn't because there's better stuff to hoard.

Id' like to see say zombies arm say fall of or legs freeze and once they see you they snap off because they're trying so violently to get you and they become a crawler.

Edited by Tely
  • Like 1

on bohemian interactive site there some nice vidz ..what caught my attention was the procedural snow ,look awesome!

can make some pretty interesting gameplay  ,but need some different tools in the snow ,v3s with tracks ... having some servers option to put some season !

or maybe thats more for modz ??!!??

I have a feeling the engine cant support changing seasons, Though, I wouldn't mind seeing fog roll in from the coast and cover the coastal towns in a very thick fog, or things like that.

I think the only way it could work is that different areas have different climates. But servers could also choose when/how long the season could last.

As far as I know whether or not we get seasons (as in snow on the ground) we will have seasonal temperatures.  IE it will get VERY cold on public servers around December/January in real life, and very hot in July/August.  I think Private Shards will be able to set the 'season' to their liking.

Now that said, in theory they could make 2-3 more maps to represent each season, but I would think they'ed be a bit of work as it wouldn't be just replacing the grass texture with a snow texture, and make the water solid.  They'ed have to do a LOT of details across the entire map.  If they did that they could 'switch out' the maps whenever there's a season change.  But this is coming from someone with almost no programming knowledge so take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 1