Ozar

Is a Hive necessary ?

I think it´s ok having a hive, because some like it.

I don´t like the idea for myself.

-my equip feels more worth playing on one server

-the history of players on the server is "more real"

-no server hopping

-no desinc players

-no high ping players

-you know your neighbors...

-no night avoid

-no day avoid

playing on a hive

-random history/no history (you can´t hold a hill or city)

-my faforite server is empty

-server hopper

-guys with ping over 80

-guys with desinc 10000000

-night avoider

-day avoider

It´s ok how it is. Each his own.

Edited by NoCheats

The public hive is one of the reasons I started playing DayZ, people just focus on the negatives it introduces and want to throw the whole system away before the developers have a chance to fix the negatives. They want the quick and easy fix, who cares what we lose, am I right?

Well. For me, you are not right. I don't want that, i don't want to change anything, i love DayZ like it is. But sometime i was taught to ask Questions.( even to myself, "did i do the right thing" bla bla bla ). I was coming to no point for myself in this question and was willing to share it with this forum to get new views, you know. But I am very surprised how different some opinions (and experiences) are.

• Like 1

What i mean is: you can just play on ONE server ( or you have 2 PCs ).

There is no reason to change to a server which has the same map , same rules. not like in for example BF where you can say"man, i wanna play pistol/knife only in metro" or kind of that stuff.

Have you ever played online games before? Have you ever searched for a decent server?

I guess to be more clear on what I HATE to death, is mods for DayZ. Like earlier said Overwatch...yadda yadda. I am ok with Private Hives I guess but the moment it will allow different versions or mods. NOPE. :)

• Like 1

Have you ever played online games before? Have you ever searched for a decent server?

sorry i had to laugh about that question.

Clearly YES !!!

If I am searching the Serverlist , it takes a while, i look very carefully.

I guess to be more clear on what I HATE to death, is mods for DayZ. Like earlier said Overwatch...yadda yadda. I am ok with Private Hives I guess but the moment it will allow different versions or mods. NOPE. :)

That logic is quite inconsistent.

Public hive: I can log on with my character on every server and play that character.

Private: I have to play serveral characters on multiple server and if my favorite server is full I am screwed if its not a white list server.

sorry i had to laugh about that question.

Clearly YES !!!

If I am searching the Serverlist , it takes a while, i look very carefully.

Well, you don't seem to comprehend the concept of a public hive or that many people don't want to be locked to a certain server. Being able to have your character on a wide variation of servers is a great thing. It is something adding massively to the experience, escpecially if you play in a group regularly.

Sure it rises several problems, or more accurate, options for misuse and exploitation, but that will be addressed in the future.

great idea, so i end up with 50 different chars scattered across the world, and permadeath will lose any relevance, because i wont even notice one more or less character..

private hives only would be a cancer

Another hysterical reactionary post. I don't know why I even bother.

Permadeath as in every other single roguelike game out there does not mean 'you are only allowed to have one character ever', the only scenario in which what you described might actually happen is if you've bothered to login to 50 different servers and gear up on each of those servers, otherwise it's not likely that you'll have '50 different characters all geared up scattered across the world so that permadeath lose all relevance', just nonsense I can't believe you thought it's an actual issue worth posting about. Permadeath is just as relevant given that once a character dies you (potentially) lose all of the gear/progress you've had on this character.

Private hives are generally a good thing, if you don't want to play on a server with 100 helicopter and 1000+ vehicles just don't. Simple as that.

Well, you don't seem to comprehend the concept of a public hive or that many people don't want to be locked to a certain server. Being able to have your character on a wide variation of servers is a great thing. It is something adding massively to the experience, escpecially if you play in a group regularly.

Sure it rises several problems, or more accurate, options for misuse and exploitation, but that will be addressed in the future.

I didn't used it in such a way till now, but i can totally understand that people appreciate that feature and that's totally cool.

I am more like the wolf in the shadow staying away from trouble, i am there but nobody is noticing. I am watching :).

All the answers and impressions where great in this thread and i thank for that. I have more an idea of what people think about the Hive.

Edited by Ozar

I think it's more so that we're all connected, and can play together without losing anything.  Instead of a bunch of little private hive communities, Rocket wants one big DayZ community.  Since even after more optimization and such we'll probably only be able to stably support 50-60 players per server, the servers are connected so we are all connected.

I find this helpful for the way I play since I like to help people.  With private hives, I have to go to their server, gear up, and travel to them.  Takes a lot longer, and creates another character that I probably won't use.

There's also the permadeath point.  One database, one life you have to worry about it.  You lose them you lose everything, instead of just 1/10 of everything.  Sure you could just stick to one server, but if that server is unplayable at any point, tough luck I guess.

Yes having a public hive creates problems, but these problems can be fixed, just give them time.  Private hives aren't free from problems either, just different problems.  I like they way things are.  They will probably allow private hives at some point as they said, and those that prefer private can go there, but I'll be on the public.

I would prefer one character per server because for me dayz is something i enjoy exspecialy with friends. So I got couple friends who I play friendly survivor way and other more of a d*ck headed bandit steal and destroy way. Just my personal preference.

Yeah i know.

But what was the intension to have a official Hive ?

Is there any positive thing to have a official hive ?

ok that is maybe one point, and thats it or can you find one more aspect.

Offical is offical, its controled by BI and BI is reponsible for that. On the other hand, BI is not responisble for what happens with your character on the private hives. :) 

If I were making a game, and had an alpha running, and were looking for ways to find people cheating/hacking, I think I'd like to force everyone onto the same database so it would be easy to parse/monitor/control.

Once I had all the cheats/hacks stopped...then I would release the db's and allow private hives/db's as I moved to beta and release.

Just sayin.

• Like 1

Vyper, it's impossible to stop all cheating. :P

I think the public hive is nice, because playing solo I'll play with a UK ping, with friends I might play with a larger ping so that we can share the lag difference somewhat... that said I spend hours trekking across the map to meet up with people after going on a solo jaunt somewhere and leaving them in Olsha the night before.

Also what happens if your usual server is full at peak times but otherwise empty?

I do think the public hive needs to be more restrictive though...basically stop letting players swap back and forth as they choose and make them join a queue and be put in a server designated to them by the game: Make them play in a server with more players (stops people avoiding others for easier movement around the map), make them join servers with less loot nearby (to prevent server hopping), don't allow them to rejoin a server they just left (to prevent ghosting)...but first fix the desync...cuz I can't even see bandits on my screen if they have more than 4 medkits/ammox boxes/protective cases and come within 500m - once my hotbar stops working I log out or I die :(

• Like 1

If I were making a game, and had an alpha running, and were looking for ways to find people cheating/hacking, I think I'd like to force everyone onto the same database so it would be easy to parse/monitor/control.

Once I had all the cheats/hacks stopped...then I would release the db's and allow private hives/db's as I moved to beta and release.

Just sayin.

...what Vyper said.

Ideally I'd like both public hive and private servers. I hate server hopping and ghosting, but love having one persistant character who can change servers at will. A couple of benefits of the public hive are:

Trading/medics - Within the hive players can request medic help to the server they are in trouble, on or meet with other players to trade in game items - even setting up trading posts on specific servers as in the mod.

Events - There have been times in the past when events have been scheduled on specific servers and anyone was invited, even attempts to lock down and make safe areas of the map for a period of time. This sort of thing can only really work with the hive as servers have limited spaces and everyone who wanted to participate would have to start as a Bambi.

The primary benefit for the hive I think is being able to meet up with people (or ruin peoples' day), it makes it as if we are all potentially on the same map.

Edited by Jamz

Having one character per server totally defeats the purpose behind this game: Survival.  You won't make decisions based on life or death, you'll make the riskier move because you have 5 other characters and it won't matter if this one is killed. 

Yeah i know.

But what was the intension to have a official Hive ?

Is there any positive thing to have a official hive ?

ok that is maybe one point, and thats it or can you find one more aspect.

All the hive is a database, that's all it is almost every game that is open world and contains a vast amount of players tend to have a database for the sole purpose of containing character information, look at World of Warcraft they have a database for every realm. do you really want something like that for dayz? Everyone would more then less likely quit the game if they did that.

Those are serious non-issues man, 'imagine playing the game on one server, and then playing it on another server' like big deal, particularly in DayZ where a single bullet (or hacker) can end a character, having to start anew cause your server died is seriously not a concern.

Regardless, as I've mentioned, 'official servers' can still be official even without the public hive, it has nothing to do with it.

You either don't understand the reasoning behind it, or you are the type of player who wants to customize and have admin tools to spawn his own items in the game rather than playing the game for what it is. If you feel so adamant about it, why not just play the DayZ mod instead? There are plenty of private hives there. Just because you got accustom to the mod and private hive servers, is no reason to drag that mess into the Standalone. Let the Standalone, be the Standalone. One hive standing alone, to support and provide for the player base. As i said before, if you don't like it, you don't have to play here.

Edited by symptom

You either don't understand the reasoning behind it, or you are the type of player who wants to customize and have admin tools to spawn his own items in the game rather than playing the game for what it is. If you feel so adamant about it, why not just play the DayZ mod instead? There are plenty of private hives there. Just because you got accustom to the mod and private hive servers, is no reason to drag that mess into the Standalone. Let the Standalone, be the Standalone. One hive standing alone, to support and provide for the player base. As i said before, if you don't like it, you don't have to play here.

No I think that all of my arguments have been valid and poignant and everything you've said so far was just false information and now you're telling me to 'go play the mod' which is a serious lolzer as Rocket already confirmed private hive support will be added in teh future.

I think you're the kind of player who likes the public hive cause you like ghosting and server hopping. You see, it's easy to create strawmen and accuse others of being lamers.