Sign in to follow this  
mike miller

Level KOS with share/trade, earlier sound warnings and shout option

Situation

KOS happens mainly due to the following reasons imo:

- Need for loot to survive and additional weapons etc.

- Being unaware of another player approaching and being unshure of his intensions

- Bored due to lacking content or the thrill of PvP hunting other players

Suggestions

1. Inventory interaction with other players should be easier. Add a sharing option.
    Being able to give/trade loot easier without the need to drop it on the floor and with some kind of reward for sharing.
    - a option to open up a give/trade menu with a quick access to the inventory and a drag and drop to other player possibility
    - a option to share a item. e.g giving a can of beans to another player with the share option would result of dividing the item into two item with 50/50 content. so you keep half and give half to the other player. also be possible with rags and other items with a content more than 1. e.g. blood etc.

2. Better awareness and communications
    Better awareness of other players due to increased player sounds as well as a shout option for long distance communications
    - Door sounds. have been suggested in other threads as well.
    Two ways of oppening doors. fast and loud and slow and quiet
    This way one could be alerted earlier that another players or a zombie (always fast and loud) enters a house.
    - Increased player sounds like louder footsteps, equipment, sounds and weapon drawing sounds
    - Have a option to shout which will increase the distance of direct coms. e.g. talk 10meters, shout 50-150meters

Imo with these additions it could lead to more negotiations and less KOS. ofc one can still kill another after negotiations and sharing/trading loot. but KOS should happen much less and more other interessting interactions should occur.

some of this has been posted on other thread, but i tried to put it togeher so dont flame me...

lol, numbers and bullets points are black, so there goes my structuring... :)

Edited by Spearsbeers
  • Like 5

only way to level KOS is get some skills and play using brains >:(

• Like 1

only way to level KOS is get some skills and play using brains > :(

comon buddy, the OP took a different turn to where their title suggests lol.

on topic, a trading mechanic would be great, or even let people tag others as "friendly" and that allows them to access each others backpacks. 

dropping stuff on the ground is a bit derpy, but it gets the job done.  

KOS happens mainly because

- dominating others is the easiest and fastest form of satisfaction with the least risk of disappointment and highest degree of control, as opposed to collaboration which bears the risk of failure and requires a certain level of involvement and dependance on others

- people are asshats.

psychologically, most instances of killing on sight (and similarly griefing or related actions) come down to control. players who feel the need to control others within virtual worlds will search for ways to do so, and there is little in the ways of game mechanics to prevent this, without actually crippling or removing that particular mechanic which is being (ab-)used.

generally, i think there are some great suggestions in your post - but i rather doubt they would significantly impact the amount of KoS incidents. Currently, the subjectively high amount of KoS is most probably due to massive influx of new players. it means that there are many who have not learned to successfully avoid high-threat situations, and also that there is an increased amount of people who feel insecure within the game world, countering it with the fast-reward control mechanism of dominating others where possible.

• Like 3

comon buddy, the OP took a different turn to where their title suggests lol.

on topic, a trading mechanic would be great, or even let people tag others as "friendly" and that allows them to access each others backpacks. 

dropping stuff on the ground is a bit derpy, but it gets the job done.

is good idea for more player sounds from environment like doors etc BUT it need to be subtle realistic system not like 'ALARM' HERE COMES A PLAYER!!! >:(

if is possible to make more noise when you moving quick should be possible move almost SILENT if you going slow have soft shoes etc :P

we have now footsteps, gun loading eating/drinking zombie aggro signal and sound guy only begin working 2 weeks ago for sure there is more coming ;)

Edited by KoS

only way to level KOS is get some skills and play using brains > :(

thx for your contribution troll! maybe you wanna share some of your skills and brains?

two players run around a factory corner, both start shooting brainlessly till one dies and the other is very low on blood. ofc that needs a lot of skills and brains to achieve! with my suggestions this can be avoided and lead to other more interessting interactions or a more tactical gunfight.

if i wanna KOS in style with better effects and features i go play Arma 3 ;)

The OP has some good suggestions, but I agree with the second poster that they probably won't affect KOS much. Nonetheless, this game needs a "trade" screen, for easier sharing/trading.

Personally, I think the only way you can really take care of KOS is if you give servers the option to disable pvp. I've posted this in a few other threads: I definatey feel that pvp (and indirectly, KOS) is a vital part that makes Dayz such a success, but I can imagine that some folks can't appreciate it. They could move over to a pve server and be happy. The rest of us could stick to the pvp servers and run the risk of getting shot in the back of the head for no reason.

I must mention, though, that at the current status of the game, it is too easy to get geared up. Just log on to a 24/7 server (one that restarts every 2 or 4 hours) and camp out at the NWAF or military base. Yes there's a risk, but 9 times out of 10 you can get reasonably geared up. I think that this will change in future updates. I think the devs are going to make it harder to gear up, and I hope they will also make the environment more dangerous (more/stronger zombies, wild animals) so that the survivors worry more about the environment (and team-up to defeat the environment) than they do about other survivors.

As I'm typing this, I'm starting think about what the goal of Dayz actually is. Because if the real goal of the game is survival... then why not remove guns completely? or limit it to handguns and vary scare ammo?

Edited by BAzVink

is good idea for more player sounds from environment like doors etc BUT it need to be subtle realistic system not like 'ALARM' HERE COMES A PLAYER!!! > :(

if is possible to make more noise when you moving quick should be possible move almost SILENT if you going slow have soft shoes etc :P

we have now footsteps, gun loading eating/drinking zombie aggro signal and sound guy only begin working 2 weeks ago for sure there is more coming ;)

now there is some constructive feedback :thumbsup:

Yep, game need more gestures and shout option. It may help with KoS. But unfortunately even in post-apocalyptic game the humans are the biggest a**holes.  :rolleyes:  Other possible option to eliminate KoS more is to make a lot more zombies and make them more dangerous. So people would help each other more to fight the bigger threat (zombies).

• Like 1

As I'm typing this, I'm starting think about what the goal of Dayz actually is. Because if the real goal of the game is survival... then why not remove guns completely? or limit it to handguns and vary scare ammo?

how about you dont find complete guns, but only the different parts and they are scatterd all over.

this way acquiring a fully funtioning gun is more difficult and trading and coop play could increase, if the parts would take significant damage from gunfire or melee kills...

Yep, game need more gestures and shout option. It may help with KoS. But unfortunately even in post-apocalyptic game the humans are the biggest a**holes.  :rolleyes:  Other possible option to eliminate KoS more is to make a lot more zombies and make them more dangerous. So people would help each other more to fight the bigger threat (zombies).

It still rings true.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

As long as zombies are a slight inconvenience instead of a formidable threat, players are going to be the only real long term challenge, and thus, that's what people hunt.

Add hordes, barricades and what not, and people might try to hold off the undying hordes as they embark on their camps, which would promote teamwork... Lest they become overrun.

• Like 1

The concept of this sounds great and I really support the idea of an improved communication system, not so much as a Global/Side Channel but at least an improved range of Direct Chat.

Even when I'm standing several meters away from another player I often struggle to hear them with audio settings to the max.

I think a "Shout" option would be a good addition but I can't see this impacting the behavior of many players in that KoS won't be affected.

• Like 1

It still rings true.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

As long as zombies are a slight inconvenience instead of a formidable threat, players are going to be the only real long term challenge, and thus, that's what people hunt.

Add hordes, barricades and what not, and people might try to hold off the undying hordes as they embark on their camps, which would promote teamwork... Lest they become overrun.

i do love the idea of hordes and camps with barricades and im shure it would influence KOS and playstyle in general if the NPC-Z's would be a bigger threat than PC's.

i guess the problem with the hordes is the huge map. even the population of bigger towns and cities is a challenge since the entities per server are limited. its on the roadmap to find a solution to increase their numbers.

but to shift gameplay we need a huge increase, so i suggest to throw in the "Zombie Mutant" who is really hard to kill, shots to the body dont stop him but only 3 shots to the head and he moves faster than the comon Z and in ziczac pattern ;)

"panic strikes our survior group as they spot a Zombie Mutant on the horizon" :)

but thats a little of topic, sry

Edited by Spearsbeers

To be honest i'd rather just be able to find a 357 and enough ammo to keep me in the game(of life in game of course). Rifles are too easy to spot and are just another reason to be shot at the moment, the FNX45 can't hit the broad side of a barn.

It's come to the point where i have actually just opened up on some guy with a mosin but without thinking or even attempting to be friendly. Unfortunately the server chose to restart at that very moment so i got f*ck all. I used to be the guy that would always try and talk a bit before that happened but playing SA at the moment has just turned me against everyone. The new guys migrating (probably from COD and BF) along with all the old KOSers only having a few low ping servers in Oz and only one game type (unlike with the mod where they could just play overwatch and the like when they wanted PVP) has made the people who talk to you rare. My last life was ended by a guy who knocked me out with an axe while i was working on a Zombie with mine, All i did was tell him he was a f*ckwit and ask for him to end it. At no point did he try and take my pistols (no ammo and no rifle) or talk so i guess he just wanted to feel "safe" or kill.

Edited by Dchil

kos is inevitable, this game is perfect for assholes, grab a gun->take a life=easy frofit(free gear)

But totaly support you ideas)

• Like 1