kermo50

How successful would DayZ be on consoles?

The dramatic success of DayZ, 1 million copies and rising sold, has got a lot of console gamers frothing in excitement just from the thought of being able play this game on their chosen console.

I would like to hear what the community thinks of this prospect, would the game work on a console? How successful do you think it would be on that playform? Could cross platform servers be possible?

Edit: also were you a console gamer that invested in a pc because of this game?

It really seems like the sky is the limit for this game right now, I would really like to hear what you guys have to say on this topic : )

Edited by kermo50

Nothing we should worry about since it will probably never happen or if it does it wont be any time soon since the pc version is in such a poor state.

• Like 1

Well they can froth all they want.  Not gonna happen untill well AFTER Full Release.

xD8Xi0p.jpg

• Like 17

I hope for the consoleguys, that there will release a version for them, which you can handle with these tiny sticks and three to four buttons.

And in contrast to regular modern development, I don't care. Because you can see how it's done: Release it for PC first and port it THEN to consoles.

Well they can froth all they want.  Not gonna happen untill well AFTER Full Release.

xD8Xi0p.jpg

lmao this is pretty funny.

I could see it being entertaining on consoles...at least for console players. As Dean has said though, don't expect that to happen anytime in the near future. If it did happen, cross platform play is a virtual impossibility. Sure it works for mmo's and things with a basic tab targeting system, but when it comes down to fps games they've already proven that it's way unbalanced in favor of pc users. I remember seeing an article when MNC was first coming out about their plans for cross platform play between xbox ps3 and pc and that they ran into one major hurdle; Without severe amounts of aim assist on the side of consoles (All console based fpses use aim assist to varying degrees, even CoD and BF games), console players were consistantly getting their asses handed to them by pc players. The reason was because of the age old debate of controller vs keyboard/mouse. The K/M combo allowed for much more precise and quick aiming than clunky controller counterparts, which need to use aim assist along with x/y rotation acceleration and calibration for controller deadzones. This is essentially the reason Valve is attempting to make a better controller for steam machines, to allow players more precision when they have to sacrifice their K/M setup just to play on their couch.

Essentially, if/when it does come out on console, which I wouldn't expect before 2016, servers would likely be restricted to individual consoles, or seperated into consoles and pc respectively.

• Like 1

How the hell will you fit all the Arma controls on a tiny pad? If you want players to press 3 buttons at once to go prone or 5 to put their hands up then you got your answer.

I mean, it's plausible.

But, parents don't buy their whiny bastard child a gaming rig, they buy them a console to console them. So, combine ALL of the people you've come into contact with on games like CoD/MoH/etc in a console environment and insert into DayZ... no thanks.

I mean, more power to them if they can make it and profit off of it only after the PC version has a fully stable release, but I wouldn't risk it due to the inevitable shitstorm that would follow, having the chance to stain the DayZ name.

Also, children.

• Like 1

I see no reason why not, If the console kids are happy to run it at 2 fps

quotes like that are mind numbing !

the consoles could run it quite easily and at good settings. it would take 8-12 weeks to port over thats it. its not mount everest !

They would clean up if they ported it. Going to need some more content though.

• Like 1

Only drawback i see is consoles lacking the scale of Multiplayer that PC has. It's already not so great optimization wise. I mean admit it the ARMA engine isn't that amazing when playing multiplayer and i can see that being the major downfall for consoles.

Again the inventory system will be clunky, i can't imagine the drag and drop system would be very manageable with analogue sticks, Direct comms would work but it would have to be Audio only. Alot of controls can be taken out eg the hand signals to manage the limited button amount on console controllers so that wouldn't be too much of an issue. Would just require some work before it was ported....

Anyone wonder why ARMA never hit consoles? 

Only drawback i see is consoles lacking the scale of Multiplayer that PC has. It's already not so great optimization wise. I mean admit it the ARMA engine isn't that amazing when playing multiplayer and i can see that being the major downfall for consoles.

Again the inventory system will be clunky, i can't imagine the drag and drop system would be very manageable with analogue sticks, Direct comms would work but it would have to be Audio only. Alot of controls can be taken out eg the hand signals to manage the limited button amount on console controllers so that wouldn't be too much of an issue. Would just require some work before it was ported....

Anyone wonder why ARMA never hit consoles? 

It did it failed... had to be dumbed down so much it was crap

Operation Flashpoint Elite for the Xbox

Edited by BL1P
  • Like 1

It did it failed... had to be dumbed down so much it was crap

Operation Flashpoint Elite for the Xbox

Yeah that and Dragon...thingy.... but they wern't exactly ARMA or ARMA 2.... very very scaled down versions.

when humans evolving 6 finger and 2 thumb on the hand console controller giving same experience like keyboard/mouse combination  ;)

Nothing we should worry about since it will probably never happen or if it does it wont be any time soon since the pc version is in such a poor state.

EARLY STATE...not poor.

when humans evolving 6 finger and 2 thumb on the hand console controller giving same experience like keyboard/mouse combination  ;)

Or you know USB connected keyboard and mouse....

The more people that play DayZ the better.

All they need is

Aim

Shoot

Pick up loot 

Inventory

The 'quick bar' as well.

50 man servers?

Rent a server option perhaps? 

quotes like that are mind numbing !

the consoles could run it quite easily and at good settings. it would take 8-12 weeks to port over thats it. its not mount everest !

Where the hell are you getting those numbers from?

I would love to shoot some dirty console peasants in the FACE!

• Like 1

Where the hell are you getting those numbers from?

He must be a 1337 coder, crunching numbers in his sleep  :lol:

• Like 1

I would enjoy playing DayZ on console. The range of people will be different - makes a change than always facing PC gamers (who tend to be already skilled gamers).

Dont understand all this console gamer hate - DayZ would strengthen with so many different personalities in game.

I would enjoy playing DayZ on console. The range of people will be different - makes a change than always facing PC gamers (who tend to be already skilled gamers).

Dont understand all this console gamer hate - DayZ would strengthen with so many different personalities in game.

I currently have an Xbox One and tbh if I play it I only play single player. In my experience the playerbase for consoles is obnoxious and far less mature than PC. I don't want to get shot in DayZ and have to listen to some 12 year olds screaming "you're a faggot" over direct chat. 

• Like 6

How the hell will you fit all the Arma controls on a tiny pad? If you want players to press 3 buttons at once to go prone or 5 to put their hands up then you got your answer.

to be honest i could easily fit all the controls on there. You would probaly need a radial menu for the 8 weapon slots but everythign else would easily fit. You could do the hand gestures by holding down a bumper and pressing each D pad button. A controller has the advantage of only needing one thumb to cover all the movement compared to the clunky, victorian WSAD movement most PC gamers use. Personally i use a G13, because an analog stick is much more logical and just damn better for character movement than 4 keyboard keys (designed for typing). Obviously, before you flame, a mouse is better for aiming, and i use one too. But for movement- analog stick VS wsad,..analog wins all day