Sign in to follow this  
Dchil

S&W No. 3 Russian

Now hear me out, this isn't the Schofield i'm talking about. It's the 41,000 revolvers made by Smith & wesson for the Russian military in 1871.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_3

The Smith & Wesson No. 3 Russian is a top break revolver chambered in .44 Russian. It was shipped by the thousands to the Russian Empire in 1871 where it became their military (and possibly police) pistol. It is plausible that around 10,000 or more survived and ended up in private hands and in Museums around the Russian Empire which we can assume that Chernarus was apart of. I believe that this pistol should be added as a rare spawn in civilian areas, not military as it hasn't been used by any military for the best part of a century. .44 Russian ammo should be slightly more common and still in civilian spawns, no speed loaders but possibly interchangeable grips.

There should be the option to load 6 or 5. Loading 5 will be safer and loading 6 will have the possibility or going off when you go prone or are knocked down (still very little chance though). 

Here is some eye candy courtesy of Hickok45, of a replica in 45 Long colt (the round the original Colt Single Action Army was chambered in).

EDIT: Said Russia when i meant Russian Empire a couple of times.

Edited by Dchil
  • Like 4

Cool gun which doesn't fit the setting.

6.gif

Only this time even more so... just because the Tsarist army ordered a few doesn't mean you'd encounter them today. And I'm talking about in Russia!

Chernarus isn't even close to Russia. Proof:

r8Q8SWL.jpg?1

One thing i'd like to point out is that I said Russian Empire, not Russia. The Russian Empire covered a large portion of Eurasia, so if Chernarus was a part of it in the late 1800's then it could be possible that this weapon found it's way there. Also I believe that this weapon would be more likely to be in a place like Chernarus than a Colt Python.

Other than that you guys are right.

• Like 1

One thing i'd like to point out is that I said Russian Empire, not Russia. The Russian Empire covered a large portion of Eurasia, so if Chernarus was a part of it in the late 1800's then it could be possible that this weapon found it's way there. Also I believe that this weapon would be more likely to be in a place like Chernarus than a Colt Python.

Other than that you guys are right.

Indeed, it's silly that they have "Python" stamped on the barrel, understandably MANY companies have copied the designs of the Python, Detective, and a few others, but it's a bit silly to see so many Colt Pythons laying around (they certainly aren't a cheap firearm, and I imagine not so easy to obtain overseas). If they add another revolver anytime soon, I'd love to see either a 2-inch .38, SAA clone, or a standard .38  4-inch Service Revolver (S&W Model 10 or Colt New Police style).

Edited by dvsilverwing

Only this time even more so... just because the Tsarist army ordered a few doesn't mean you'd encounter them today. And I'm talking about in Russia!

Chernarus isn't even close to Russia. Proof:

r8Q8SWL.jpg?1

That's probably why the game has M4s.

• Like 2

Not just the distance...1871 says it all...

Colt 1911 as the name suggests entered service in 1911 but it's still produced today. I don't know about the revolver in the thread but the year of invention doesn't prove anything.

Colt 1911 as the name suggests entered service in 1911 but it's still produced today. I don't know about the revolver in the thread but the year of invention doesn't prove anything.

It's still produced today because it remains a very effective and popular weapon still able to compete with the latest in handguns.

That's not true for the Model 3 Russian. Adding to that, the .44 Russian cartridge is almost completely obsolete.

It would make no sense finding these, even as one of those "super rare 1 per server" guns.

shutup gews! Stop ruining dreams!

Your dream is my nightmare! :lol:

Your nightmare is my fetish.

♪ Same for me / but not in DayZ ♫

Too much realism can make the game quite boring. IMO the more items in game = better overall experience.

Only if they're the right items.

Example: most people don't want to see .50 caliber Desert Eagles (or maybe they do).

For many players, silly stuff like that destroys the "authentic" vanilla atmosphere. This revolver is just as out of place as a Desert Eagle (maybe even more so) - being old doesn't excuse it from being inappropriate.

♪ Same for me / but not in DayZ ♫ Only if they're the right items.  Example: most people don't want to see .50 caliber Desert Eagles (or maybe they do).For many players, silly stuff like that destroys the "authentic" vanilla atmosphere. This revolver is just as out of place as a Desert Eagle (maybe even more so) - being old doesn't excuse it from being inappropriate.

Being non borderline cod fanboy stuff does it for me.

For me if it is old, not totally impractical (.50 type stuff) and also looks good it is okay.

Realism is just a bonus and anything really common over there should definitely be added, like the Ruger 10/ 22 and the SKS.

Anything rare should be introduced over time due to popular and serious requests aka, this revolver and the C96.

But not the oh so run of the mill, every second person can name it and every second action movie has it desert eagle.

That's just me trying to differ myself from what I would call a certain type FPS exclusive fan.

Gews is just on the next level of nothing out of ordinary should spawn at all, which I think would damage the playability of endgame by having 100 or so guns that spawn just as often as each other in different places and hugely disappoint fans like me hoping for certain guns that don't necessarily fit the very vague location at which dayZ takes place.

But personally I think to take the people pleasing option, there are less Gews around than everybody else.

♪ Same for me / but not in DayZ ♫

Only if they're the right items.

Example: most people don't want to see .50 caliber Desert Eagles (or maybe they do).

For many players, silly stuff like that destroys the "authentic" vanilla atmosphere. This revolver is just as out of place as a Desert Eagle (maybe even more so) - being old doesn't excuse it from being inappropriate.

Well in my personal opinion there's nothing wrong with adding AS50's or desert eagles to the game as long as you have to go to hell and back to obtain it. Like for example add it in a underground military complex full of some sort of super mutant evil  zombies that you can only kill with a group of people...

Gews is just on the next level of nothing out of ordinary should spawn at all [snip]

Correct

Just imagine if I was the one in charge of picking and choosing

>: )

7f3yOGy.png

• Like 1

What about the nagant revolver? I notice a severe lack of them in that pic.

• Like 1