Sign in to follow this  
overdosed (DayZ)

What about rifle slings?

Would be pretty nice to have slings as an attachment for long guns. Slings would basically allow you to use your hands wihtout having to put your gun away on your back when youre eating drinking, pulling out a pistol etc, and would shorten the time that you need to reequip your rifle. Slings could also allow for the carrying of two rifles without having to drop the second one every time you use your hands(one rifle on a sling and one on your back). 

There can be many sling variants including crafted ones - with rope, rags and whatever other items are introduced to the game that can be used. Different types of slings and their condition can affect how fast you equip your weapon and how fast can you sprint(always slower than with your weapon on your back) And when the sling is ruined it just disappears and your weapon falls on the ground. 

In a pinch slings could also be used as a makeshift tourniquet that you can apply faster than a bandage but is only temporary and in time youll have to stop and properly bandage yourself or youll start loosing blood again.

• Like 9

tl;dr

but from the title i offer this suggestion, pick up and m4 ( this will rest on your shoulder ) and then pick up a mosin into your hands, right now it is a pain in the ass to do since when you neeed to drink or eat you need to drop the mosin and pick it back up, but it's a temporary solution as to carrying two weapons

tl;dr

but from the title i offer this suggestion, pick up and m4 ( this will rest on your shoulder ) and then pick up a mosin into your hands, right now it is a pain in the ass to do since when you neeed to drink or eat you need to drop the mosin and pick it back up, but it's a temporary solution as to carrying two weapons

You couldnt even read 8 fuckin' lines of text?! Even less.... Should be ashamed of yourself... If thats something that deserves "tl;dr" I dont even know what youre doing on the forums.

• Like 9

I personally like the idea of slings, they would be about as common as other rifle attachments but not all weapons have sling loops and you are a civilian so tying a sling might be quite difficult (if were going for realism here) i have used an L98A2 (SA80 variant) and the sling for that does take me a about 45seconds to set up but i have done it lots of times. But rags you said simple easy just tie a lot of rags together with knots is a good idea

As soon as hunting is in we should be able to craft them out of animal skin in addition to find some, have my beanz.

I personally like the idea of slings, they would be about as common as other rifle attachments but not all weapons have sling loops and you are a civilian so tying a sling might be quite difficult (if were going for realism here) i have used an L98A2 (SA80 variant) and the sling for that does take me a about 45seconds to set up but i have done it lots of times. But rags you said simple easy just tie a lot of rags together with knots is a good idea

Yea, i used to use sa80 style combat slings on my styer AUG back in the day... at the moment, ive used a drench strap on my 10/22 to sling it exactly the same(minus the sliding clip) it still works as a shooting harness etc just as well as the original... theyre not hard to make.

And for that matter, there was this "group" ill call them, back in army days... that pretty much to the man, just used a loop o para cord for their weapon slings, dosnt come any simpler than that, and it worked well (they just used to throw around neck, and not worry about going over a shoulder)

So crafting a sling, should not be all that difficult, a bit o rope is all yah need. You dont even "need" to move swivel to set up combat style sling.(i do, purely for aesthetic purposes)

Awesome idea, would realy like to see this in DAYZ!

Maybe I'm slow but a sling would still take the place up on your back, a sling doesn't make the gun just dissapear, where would you put the second gun if the gun on the sling was still on your back? I say we keep slings and make it to where I can fit an m4 into a mountain backpack, (I can fit a fireaxe but not an m4 that is smaller?)

tl;dr

TL:DR - I'm sorry but 3 lines is stretching my mind...

Edited by Roshi

Would be pretty nice to have slings as an attachment for long guns. Slings would basically allow you to use your hands wihtout having to put your gun away on your back when youre eating drinking, pulling out a pistol etc, and would shorten the time that you need to reequip your rifle. Slings could also allow for the carrying of two rifles without having to drop the second one every time you use your hands(one rifle on a sling and one on your back). 

There can be many sling variants including crafted ones - with rope, rags and whatever other items are introduced to the game that can be used. Different types of slings and their condition can affect how fast you equip your weapon and how fast can you sprint(always slower than with your weapon on your back) And when the sling is ruined it just disappears and your weapon falls on the ground. 

In a pinch slings could also be used as a makeshift tourniquet that you can apply faster than a bandage but is only temporary and in time youll have to stop and properly bandage yourself or youll start loosing blood again.

Is this what you mean by a sling?

7302399_600x400.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe I'm slow but a sling would still take the place up on your back, a sling doesn't make the gun just dissapear, where would you put the second gun if the gun on the sling was still on your back? I say we keep slings and make it to where I can fit an m4 into a mountain backpack, (I can fit a fireaxe but not an m4 that is smaller?)

It would hang from your shoulder and not from your bag.

If you had a second weapon on a sling in front of you would that limit lying prone unless you have that weapon in your hands? (i.e. if you are using the weapon on your shoulder, you would be lying on your other weapon, which might be a problem).

That's Willie Apiata of the NZ SAS.

I almost feel bad posting his picture but it is all over the web and he is a national hero. And the beard...

I almost feel bad posting his picture but it is all over the web and he is a national hero. And the beard...

All hail the beard.

Is this what you mean by a sling?

7302399_600x400.jpg

From what I understand there are 3 types of slings(just checked it out). Heres 3 vids that describe how each type works.

Each type offers the ability to carry the weapon infront of you. And unless we go for super realism(which is not the point of dayz) there shouldnt be any problems in using slings in the way that I suggested.