jumpman487

Lets talk about the community

DayZ is a game with massive potential, potential that not only falls on to backs of the dev team but also the community to fufill. The community makes or breaks many games especially when role play is involved. I know some people who prefer to RP in DayZ may be fine with the way things are but I know that many others including myself cant help but imagine what an amzing experince DayZ could provide if more people RPed and fewer people KOSed. So I would like to pose a question; what could we do to not quell the KOS mentality (because it will, as much as I hate to say it, always be present) but deal with this issue in a manner that still allows both RPers and KOSers to co-exist in a game environment and that allows DayZ to reach it's fullest potential.

This is an issue that should be dealt with heading into DayZs future, and I hope that we can all work together as a true communtity to resolve this issue

**I feel the need to clarify that when I talk about RPers and KOSers im not trying to say people who kill and people who dont there is a such thing as bandit RPers when i say KOS I mean people who play dayz like a deathmatch rather that a survival game**

Edited by jumpman487

The only way to stop is to take away any form of killing and that won't happen. Also, this topic has been beaten to death over and over again, stop crying and play the game.

• Like 5

When someone complains about a the games bugs or complains about it i say "alpha". Now i have to say Humans.

The only way to stop is to take away any form of killing and that won't happen. Also, this topic has been beaten to death over and over again, stop crying and play the game.

I'm not trying to cry. I was hoping to put a new spin on this question by asking not how to eliminate Kos but how to either encourage or create an environment that both allows KOSers and RPers to do thier own thing, be it seperated or together.

• Like 3

There is no issue to deal with.  No matter what style of play YOU like or enjoy in a game, someone, somewhere, will dislike it or believe you should play the game the way he wants you to.  The more people whine, the more I enjoy killing.  Knowing that when the blood comes gushing out of a corpse, somewhere, someone is crying their little eyes out over digital pixels, makes me smile.

Don't get attached to your gear, this isn't WoW.  The greater majority of the community already knows this, you are only seeing a vocal minority cry about their inability to comprehend what an alpha is.  The greater community and the DayZ dev team have dealt with this since the mod came out, and will continue to drink the delicious tears of the whiners to fuel the beast that is at the core of DayZ itself. 

Neither the community nor the Dev team will allow any of the true core features of DayZ be changed by a vocal minority, there isn't an issue to be concerned about....

Edited by Phantasm
  • Like 7

When someone complains about a the games bugs or complains about it i say "alpha". Now i have to say Humans.

I know some people just wont be able to be dealt with, I know we will never be able to reach a "best" solution but I hope that some how, some way we can reach a conclusion that can help DayZ fufill more of it's potential

I just don't understand, if you don't kill people, what else is there to do? There is no and never will be quests or some kind of story lines, i just don't get it about people making all these threads about KOS.

There is no issue to deal with.  No matter what style of play YOU like or enjoy in a game, someone, somewhere, will dislike it or believe you should play the game the way he wants you to.  The more people whine, the more I enjoy killing.  Knowing that when the blood comes gushing out of a corpse, somewhere, someone is crying their little eyes out over digital pixels, makes me smile.

Don't get attached to your gear, this isn't WoW.  The greater majority f the community already knows this, you are only seeing a vocal minority cry about their inability to comprehend what an alpha is.  The greater community and the DayZ dev team have dealt with this since the mod came out, and will continue to drink the delicious tears of the whiners to fuel the beast that is at the core of DayZ itself. 

Neither the community nor the Dev team will allow any of the true core features of DayZ be changed by a vocal minority, there isn't an issue to be concerned about....

Im not trying to dictate how you play, I respect that you play the game the way you want. All im trying to do is find a way that allows both parties to enjoy the game to it's fullest extent. When I mention RPers I mean ALL RPers, heroes and bandits alike, and I know that RPers are most certainly not the majority but there are enough to justify trying to find some way that allows them to play in an RP friendly environment.

So I would like to pose a question; what could we do to not quell the KOS mentality (because it will, as much as I hate to say it, always be present) but deal with this issue in a manner that still allows both RPers and KOSers to co-exist in a game environment and that allows DayZ to reach it's fullest potential.

You could start by realizing that the two are not mutually exclusive. I can RP and still shoot people (yes, even on sight).

You could also realize that your idea of the game's "full potential" might not match up with everyone else's, and that's okay.

Lastly, try not to pretend that your section of the "community" is better than someone else's because of the way you choose to play the game.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

Im not trying to dictate how you play, I respect that you play the game the way you want. All im trying to do is find a way that allows both parties to enjoy the game to it's fullest extent. When I mention RPers I mean ALL RPers, heroes and bandits alike, and I know that RPers are most certainly not the majority but there are enough to justify trying to find some way that allows them to play in an RP friendly environment.

RPers don't have a problem in the game, and I wasn't insinuating you were trying to tell me how to play.  The only way to reach a games full potential is for YOU to enjoy it the way YOU want, period, nothing else.  When you start trying to get everyone to enjoy it as much as they can, to its full potential, it's simply just not possible. 

There's a very simple saying, you can't please everyone, everywhere, 100% of the time.  It's simply just not possible. 

Edited by Phantasm

Im not trying to dictate how you play, I respect that you play the game the way you want. All im trying to do is find a way that allows both parties to enjoy the game to it's fullest extent.

And what's stopping you from doing that right now?

If your claim is that murder stands in the way of your ability to enjoy the game to it's fullest extent, and you want ideas from the "community," to deal with that, then I think yes you're basically trying to dictate how people play.

If getting murdered interferes with your ability to enjoy the game, then I suggest you RP someone who avoids being murdered. It's not that hard, really. Just pretend you're human and you don't want to die.

• Like 1

Hunt them down and spawn kill them until they stop playing all together? Just kidding though.

However as you said it is up to the community. A good start would be if there's people involved in actually helping people out.

I know that there currently are people who do just that. The thing is, you will always hear more about how people get KOS than how they got helped by some random stranger, because people focus on the negative things, they stick easier for some people - leaving out all the good stories that are out there. What you need to do is to gather like minded individuals into one place. Of course, other people will kill or engage in fights and try to kill you - would be pretty boring if they didn't. To quote a song, "without the threat of death there's no reason to live at all." Not entirely true, but true to a certain point anyway. The solution to the "problem" is the community really - just got to recruit people to your cause. Either in game or on forums. Stick to one or two servers only and be relentless in your cause.

• Like 1

It's not up to the community though, it's up to the individual player to enjoy the game as he sees fit.  When you begin to dictate how a community should or should not play the game as a whole, you're telling others how to play the game based on how you would enjoy it more (if more people rp'd).

So basically, as I said before, there is not a problem with the community, the problem only lies with the person if they are not enjoying the game to its full potential.  There are plenty of people out there who play the game by their own methods and enjoy it just as much as the next guy, who plays it completely different.

It's not up to the community though, it's up to the individual player to enjoy the game as he sees fit.  When you begin to dictate how a community should or should not play the game as a whole, you're telling others how to play the game based on how you would enjoy it more (if more people rp'd).

So basically, as I said before, there is not a problem with the community, the problem only lies with the person if they are not enjoying the game to its full potential.  There are plenty of people out there who play the game by their own methods and enjoy it just as much as the next guy, who plays it completely different.

True

I RP 100% of the time I am playing. Not sure why any RPer could not do so. You can't RP a girlscout in this world and expect to live. You need to RP that you are in a post apocalyptic zombie filled world. With that comes the threat of bandits. Some bandits choose to shoot you when they see you. It is up to you the RPer to come up with an RP solution to that, which I think is the point of your thread.

So look around and find a clan that does what you like and go around and stop the bandits. CQF is one I would recommend. They are peace keepers and do a good job killing the bad guys. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Here's an easy solution to fix KoS:  Allow players more than half a second to react to being shot at. Perhaps people will think twice before shooting you if you have a chance of killing them instead. This would also help less aggressive players to be more friendly because there's less risk in allowing other players to live.

Edited by Madix

The community has turned to shit imo.

The games popularity brought in the masses and their influence is not welcomed.

They will turn dayz into a mass market game that is easy to play, forgiving and arcade friendly.

Things like random dispersion, third person view, and convenient spawns are just signs of where this game will end up.

The game is slowly turning into a casual mass market game not the unforgiving, mil sim, survival game.

• Like 1

Here's an easy solution to fix KoS:  Allow players more than half a second to react to being shot at. Perhaps people will think twice before shooting you if you have a chance of killing them instead.

The game simply makes it too risky to take chances. Players have to be super aggressive because finding cover isn't always an option when 1 or 2 bullets can kill you. 

There is no "fix" to KOS.  The game is being built on realism, if you got shot irl do you think you'd have a popup window to confirm if it's ok to let xxx person pvp with you?  Give me a break.

The community has turned to shit imo.

We'll give you a call when anyone gives a flying dead rat about your opinion.

The games popularity brought in the masses and their influence is not welcomed.

Right. Except this conversation has been going on since the week the mod launched. So it has nothing to do with the game's popularity.

Things like random dispersion, third person view, and convenient spawns are just signs of where this game will end up.

So two things that haven't happened and one thing that has always been in the game are signs of the game taking the wrong direction?

That's what you're going with?

• Like 5

^ Can't please everyone...

Any time a change is made to the game, it's generally made for the better, and Dean has been much much much more concerned with what the community thinks about such changes then most developers out there.  And he agrees enough with allowing minorities have the small changes their way enough that he allows things such as 1st person only type servers, so the above whine is pointless.

Edited by Phantasm

I just don't understand

thats probably the main issue. you dont understand it. maybe you should stop trying.

• Like 1

The majority of people who whine about KOS are the ones who only played games that had little maps in the corner showing where all the enemies were and have no concept of needing to pay attention to their surroundings.

There is no "fix" to KOS.  The game is being built on realism, if you got shot irl do you think you'd have a popup window to confirm if it's ok to let xxx person pvp with you?  Give me a break.

There needs to be a fix, for the sake of realism. Let's actually talk about that:

Realistically, if a zombie apocalypse starts, will people be running around grabbing guns and shooting each other?

Well, some people would. The limit here is a person's Personal Morality.

Personal Morality is something that can't really be placed in this game. How could you show that fairly? You really can't. But to achieve simulation, something has to counterbalance this tendency. For the sake of realism, KOS needs to be balanced but not eliminated.

There are ways to cut it down. The original used skins, so you'd know if someone was a bandit or a hero or a survivor. That's the best way to represent personal morality, and it might be the best we have. For the sake of the game, I furthermore must implore everyone to roleplay.

If you want to Kill on Sight all the time, maybe Day Z isn't your game.

Strong words. But that isn't the point of Day Z. The point of Day Z is to interact with people. Sometimes you kill on sight. Sometime you kill after observation. Sometimes you avoid a person completely, and sometimes you work together.

People who deny that the current state of KOS is a problem are in denial, or are at least missing the point of this game as it was originally envisioned.

Edited by Dellema