gamerer

"Friendlies" are just a bunch of lamers

why and why do people ask if you are friendly. It's stupid. You never in real life go into a dark alleyway and ask the hooded man if he is friendly. Why dont you ? Therefore it is fucking STUPID stop doing it in Dayz. It's like asking if anyone is shooting in cherno. It's STUPID plz stop......

Good post. Thanks for bringing current sense to my banditry in the standalone. Being an older ARMA nut, i live both for the kill, and the interactions that result in doing well by the men I meet. If I were to meet you on the field, I would proudly be your overwatch. You sound like you know how the 'real' game is played.

Thanks.. What drew me to this game was the necessity to interact with people.. As a straight up First Person Shooter where you run around killing everyone you see, this game is far too glitchy, unpredictable, and "open world" to be a competitive game.. Games like CS, Battlefield, and COD capture "competitive FPS" much better than ARMA or DayZ ever could.

So, what's the point of killing people in DayZ?

-It's (usually) not the gear.. Most of the people who kill others are already geared, or could obtain gear easier and with less risk by running to say, Berezino, rather than running to Elektro and getting into skirmishes with others. 

-It's (usually) not self-defense.. While this is sometimes the case, most people know damn well that they are in a hostile area by the sounds of gunshots and the fact that they CHOSE to walk into Elektro, Balota, or NWAF, etc.

-It's DEFINITELY not to prove who is more skilled.. Most of the times I have died (from another player), it was from a player I didn't even see, or a player I did see but I was unarmed and unable to retaliate.. To prove one person is more skilled than the other you need some kind of contest. Whoever "wins" the contest is thus, "more skilled". In counter-strike or battlefield you are placed on the opposite side of the map from your enemy, and if you don't see the person who killed you, it was because they outplayed you. In DayZ, the map is too big and you're dealing with much longer ranges, so it's much easier for a player to sit on a hill way out of sight and pick off players at 400-800meters. There's no real "contest" there, as odds are the player getting shot won't get a chance to shoot back, and probably doesn't even know where he's getting shot from. So, how does this prove anything? If the situation were reversed, the results would probably be similar.. One person has a huge advantage in position. Games like CS and Battlefield depend upon positioning as well, but the choke-points and lines of engagement are much more clearly drawn, and thus a contest can ensue. 

The only answer I can come up with is that people are bored, unimaginative, and may THINK they are showing some level of skill by shooting randoms, and they may attempt to justify it in a dozen different ways, but it really just comes down to people being "hammers" and seeing every problem as a "nail". They lack the charisma, communication skills, or imagination/creativity to approach situations in a more entertaining way.

Look up "DayZ The Green Avenger", on YouTube.. He has assumed the role of a character and is creating hilarious situations which are incredibly entertaining to watch, and I'm assuming, from his perspective, equally entertaining to partake in. Nothing is more fun than when you create a novel experience in the game. That's what DayZ has to offer. Novel experiences. It would be impossible to replicate something like The Green Avenger in Battlefield, because there's no room for that. It's either shoot someone, use a vehicle, help your team win, or get the fuck off the server. DayZ is the antithesis of this mentality, and people who don't come to terms with that are not only doing a disservice to the community but also to themselves, because they are reducing the entire premise of the game down to its most rudimentary.

In the end, it doesn't matter whether you play as a survivor, a hero, a bandit, or something inbetween or completely off the wall. Hell, with each new life you could assume the role of any or all of those things depending upon the situation. I think it's fun to use the "random" character generation and just create a story out of each character, because like it or not, DayZ is best played as a sort of Role Playing game. Whether your role is persistent throughout all of your lives, or changes with each life does not matter.. The role doesn't have to be fantasy or supernatural or corny and silly.. but it could be.. You could be The Green Avenger, Defender of Elektro.. Or you could be a Baddie Bandit who ambushes people along the road, and robs them and sends them packing without their pants. Whether you kill people or not isn't the issue.. the issue is how much you make out of each experience.

If I'm a fresh spawn and I get shot in the back of the head while I'm looting a body in Elektro, I won't remember that death or even care about it..But if I get held hostage, it's much more likely to leave an impression on me.. and likewise, I will never forget the hero that came down from NWAF, showed up in Kamenka, and handed me a free M4 as a fresh spawn, and offered me a bunch of goodies.. Not just because he was a nice guy, but because there was some interaction there.

TL:DR - Make the most out of your experiences in game.. Odds are if you just KOS people, you won't remember half of them and they won't remember you.. Whether you kill someone or engage in an act of heroism, make your experiences memorable.. Make them count.

• Like 2

Wrong. I shoot anything that might retaliate against me, and Ive been having fun since june 2012.

To 'retaliate' is to respond to an initial action. I dont think this sentence makes sense. I dont think you can preempt a retaliation. You can eliminate a possible threat; which is valid. But, as long as you are having fun; great! :)

i only KOS when i see geared ppl and im with my fist...

That would actually be a great challenge, thumbs up for you!

Such a pointless flame thread.

It really is.

There are few things I enjoy more than dusting bandits with delusions of grandeur.  Seriously, if you are so amazing at FPS, you would be cleaning house on COD or BF4.  I think many of them look to Dayz because by and large you get a lot of easy pickings.  Many players are unarmed and even those who are armed will sometime not fire on sight.  It makes it simple to just default to KOS/ruin the experience for those other players.

Getting the chance to interact with friendly players while enjoying the experiencing of killing folks like the OP is what draws me to DayZ.  I am a very good COD player, but DayZ doesn't lend itself to that style of play.  I love the depth and play it for that, not blistering action.  Dying in COD is common.  Your main goal is to have a KD of 2 or more.  Dying in DayZ is terrifying when you are geared.  All that work lost.  Getting into a gun fight is a gut wrenching experience and something impossible to match on any other FPS.

Shoot folks like the OP and have a laugh at them.  I am a friendly who is at least capable of backing it up when the lead flies.

I shoot everyone for a reason.

Sure they don't have a gun now.

But wait until they do. The way someone can act towards you with a gun is totally different.

• Like 1

People who love poses like a badass likes the thread. Thanks for the Nirvana OP we didn't know that. :D People say friendly when they're unarmed and when they get a gun they shoot you at sight. It's not the discovery of our age. It's a simple fact. Until game offer us alternate ways of fun and feel of accomplishment people will keep kill each other to entertain themselves.

Such a pointless flame thread.

It is, I wrote it while intoxicated and sort of forgot about it, I didn't expect such a shitstorm from sober, rational and thinking people.

• Like 1

But wait until they do. The way someone can act towards you with a gun is totally different.

Sure, but if they are unarmed you really haven't solved the problem of them eventually being armed because all you did was force a respawn.

Sinfulsebastion is narrow-minded, and is a lemming to the old prisoner delimma. He's an average human being and he's frightened about the outcome of confrontation. Fear is something that comes natural to human beings, but the prisoner dilemma separates the weak from the strong, the courages from the cowardly.

mit

Sinful falls under the 'cowardly' in this situation. If you kill on sight, you show fear of another person having equal opportunity. Psychological dilemma's are naturally contageous, which is why most of the population of DayZ kills people on sight. However, if the anonymity were removed from DayZ, and was turned into a real-life simulation, these people would not have the same decisions.

Thus, it's a game, and people will play differently based on the demeanor they choose to use. Generally, I love interactions with other people. Being able to think quickly and rationally is a skill. So yes, Sinfulsebastion, "skill in DayZ" because charisma is a skill, one that you obviously lack, and blatantly display with your short, arrogant, narrow-minded responses.

• Like 1

I just enjoy being friendly because I'm not an asshole. I actually relish acting with generosity and mercy because I like to believe I am a decent person. If I were to murder someone in cold-blood up at Stary I would immediately feel terrible because I know I've just wasted that guy's progress for my own benefit. 

• Like 1

I just enjoy being friendly because I'm not an asshole. I actually relish acting with generosity and mercy because I like to believe I am a decent person. If I were to murder someone in cold-blood up at Stary I would immediately feel terrible because I know I've just wasted that guy's progress for my own benefit. 

Great attitude! But remember that this is a game and most people will kill you for your stuff, so sometimes if people cannot be avoided, they need to be shot. I used to think like you do, but then i got killed to many times after helping people so i fell to the dark side, i still try not to shoot people for nothing though, but if a guy with a gun runs into me in a building or so i will need to pull the trigger. My longest survival as a friendly character was about 37 days i think and i played a lot on servers with a lot of people, but i seldom helped anyone, i hid or snuck past most people because i knew that in the moment i started helping i would be shot dead and some a-hole would run away with all my stuff.

Unfortuantly, killing is the easiest way to survive, thats why everyone is doing it. Adding a little more zombies and respawning now and people will need to be a little catious, especially now that the zombies are not slowed down inside buildings.

I find it way more rewarding when I meet someone well equipped and we both walk away alive from this encounter. Really cool feeling.

For me it is easier to be friendly outside hot zones like military bases and airfields - if I am there, it is kos.

Banditry != KoS

Being a bandit is  not the same as killing everyone on sight.

Some prefer to shoot at everything. Some don't. Some hardly shoot at anything unless they have to. So what's the deal?

No playstyle is really wrong if you think about it. Apart from camping new players on the coast.

Simply because there's (potential) advantages and disadvantages to everything. Going so far trying to "convert" people to your cause is more or less funny. I'd say this: The people being in the "balanced center" probably get the best DayZ experience on average. People constantly running at others screaming friendly will likely just die often. People shooting at everything and being alone, too.

I also have my certain favorite, more friendly, playstyle and beliefs, but bottom line is that you can't make it right for all. So why try hard anway?

• Like 1

Great attitude! But remember that this is a game and most people will kill you for your stuff, so sometimes if people cannot be avoided, they need to be shot. I used to think like you do, but then i got killed to many times after helping people so i fell to the dark side, i still try not to shoot people for nothing though, but if a guy with a gun runs into me in a building or so i will need to pull the trigger. My longest survival as a friendly character was about 37 days i think and i played a lot on servers with a lot of people, but i seldom helped anyone, i hid or snuck past most people because i knew that in the moment i started helping i would be shot dead and some a-hole would run away with all my stuff.

Unfortuantly, killing is the easiest way to survive, thats why everyone is doing it. Adding a little more zombies and respawning now and people will need to be a little catious, especially now that the zombies are not slowed down inside buildings.

Firstly, I've been playing the alpha for about 120 hours now, and I've probably put about 1000+ hours in to the various DayZ mods so I'm not a naive noob like you imply. I don't play this game to survive. Running around in the woods fully geared is not my idea of fun, player interaction is where I find enjoyment and if I die as a result of being too good to people then that's a bad reflection on their character not mine. Not to mention I generally don't give a shit about dying unless it's because of a bug or glitch.

Edited by Count_Blackula

Exactly why i kill on sight most of the time if someone does not state they are friendly.

They are looking for a weapon, when they find that weapon they are more than likely to use it on you.

One example is me giving a mosin and ammo to someone in the city before balota and watching him run to balota. I head there myself only to see this same guy with the same red helmet picking off everyone he sees bambis and all i went to the bottom of the tower and told him i was the one who gave him the gun. 'Come up' he shouts down. As i walk up he shoots me in the back.

Everyone's a killer with a gun in there hand and everyone's innocent without one.

Prove you wrong... Isn't the all shoot out zombie apocalypse game called Borinfestation or something ?

Anyway, to each its own, glad you are enjoying the game any way you can. Means the sandbox is big enough for all the kids in the block to accommodate their style.

Make sure you look over your shoulder a lot, as the russian saying goes - you come with a sword you'll die by the sword.

Please do tell me, what makes someone a good DayZ player?

high framerate for smooth aiming.

i'm friendly depending on how much/little gear i have. i won't be being BFF when i've been foraging for hours. 

if i'm really well geared, i usually keep my distance from people, unless i get the drop on them while they're being way too careless, like managing gear out in the open etc. doesn't matter if they're unarmed, they might be carrying a bipod or something complementing that i need in their cute, taloon backpacks.

but if someone runs into me without me having the time to react, i for some reason instantly state that i'm friendly and that i don't have anything useful. like a prison bitch. i've come to realize that it doesn't make any difference because me lying and being honest is 50/50. does anyone have any good opening lines for encounters that you want to be friendly?

Edited by hiberNative

does anyone have any good opening lines for encounters that you want to be friendly?

Don't be what some would call a "whiney bitch". No, seriously, that's my first advice, not an insult to you. Let me elaborate. If you literally bow down to people you meet, it might give them a false first impression. If they're up to no good anyway you really can't help it, but some could be neutral. Or you just have to be lucky.

I think meeting "eye to eye" or on that level might be better in some cases. Raise your hand and wave, not both and surrender. Say "Hello you there!" or something. Or state your name, anything to start a dialog.

Only cornered people that got attacked should scream "OH MY GOD FRIENDLY FRIENDLY OHHHHH NOOO PLEAASSSEEE DON'T SHOOT ME"

Some could say that even yelling "Friendly" is starting to get silly. But then again I could be totally wrong. Hard to say how to do it right because it depends on many things. So my general advice is: Less submissiveness unless there's no other way. Try to be on even grounds.

Dude running with axe once he saw us. My buddy:

- "Drop that axe and stop acting like a idiot."

Worked and we even traded some items.

Guess he was being aggressively defensive. Everything went smooth, not friendly but with cordiality and honesty.

In any case he would have died if he kept on his murdering intents.

Group up ppl, group up.