quobble

SSD and DayZ

I'll be putting DayZ on a SSD hybrid drive this week, I wonder if this will have any effect on the smoothness of how it runs? Think I'll check my settings too after reading this thread..

I think thats why it tells me here that if I want to delete bigger amounts of files on my SSD, I should use the safe erase in the "Magician" program

No, "safe erase" sounds more like it's for ensuring that data is deleted completely and not recoverable.

hm...but srsly, i dont really believe that having a game on an ssd is killing it. many people use ssd for rendering videos. 

With SSD you get overall smoother gameplay, it doesn't really give that much more fps but:

- Textures will load faster so less texture popping

- Less stuttering when entering new area

- Even faster load times

- Very smooth video recording if you are recording to other fast HDD (example. Barracuda 180 mb/s write speed)

Also playing from SSD doesn't kill it, because game loads mostly data not write new data.

Yeah I wont be installing DayZ SA onto my SSD, the thought of all the read/writes to the drive...frankly scares me....

Eh?

It's what they're designed to do. Current generation of SSDs will outlive your HDD.

Eh?

It's what they're designed to do. Current generation of SSDs will outlive your HDD.

I doubt that. I've got a HDD that I've had in my various systems for 6 or 7 years now and it still runs flawlessly. I still don't trust SSDs and would recommend minimising writes and deletes to anyone that owns one.

Edited by Mos1ey

I doubt that. I've got a HDD that I've had in my various systems for 6 or 7 years now and it still runs flawlessly. I still don't trust SSDs and would recommend minimising writes and deletes to anyone that owns one.

i will have 120GB ssd and second hdd

plan is i put windows and few games including dayz only on ssd

everything else i doing on hdd

is this not good for life of ssd?

also i have one hdd expansion drive

is possible connect this to second hdd? i don't want to put on primary ssd drive

Edited by KoS

the load times are where its at with SSD...i only play 2 games on the SSD and its well worth it.

everyone who listed an i5/i7 with low ghz (ie 2-3ghz), this is where your limit is. Specially you folks with fancy gtx 660+

get your rigs properly setup, get some basic basic over clocking and you will see much much more consistency from your FPS.

i7 930 with a gtx 570 and have much more consistent fps always above 30 in cities and maxing about 55-60

never any massive dips when in elektro with high pop.

SA will run better on 4.5 ghz and a gtx 460 than an i7 2ghz with a gtx 660

Edited by deebz1234

This and cost are the reasons I opted for a hybrid.