Sign in to follow this  
Zedicologist

Farming your own blood.

This is only a good tactic if your character has HEALTHY status.  But as most of you know if you take damage of any kind with a HEALTHY status you immediately start regening blood at a fast pace.  

A lot of people are misinformed that you can bypass using blood bags by just using Saline.  This is not the case.  Saline only restores your health, not your blood.  So you could be at full health and be at only 10 blood.  So blood is most definitely still needed.

So to keep your character at the best possible condition you need to maintain your blood and health at all times.

Instead of having to deal with finding a person that matches your blood type, and having to find multiple blood test kits which are not that common.  

Just have a buddy take blood from you.  Problem solved.  Just keep in mind you need to have a HEALTHY status or you wont regenerate your blood.

http://dayzintel.com/user-submitted-guides

This is a good guide to help understand the blood/health and status mechanics in DayZ standalone. 

Hope this helps some of you out.

Edited by Zedicologist
  • Like 1

If I draw blood from myself while having "healthy" status, it doesn't change into "healing" or anything.

Also, drawing blood lowers bloodlevel --> changes screen color --->aplying saline changes screen color back to normal ---> saline restores blood

• Like 1

If I draw blood from myself while having "healthy" status, it doesn't change into "healing" or anything.

Also, drawing blood lowers bloodlevel --> changes screen color --->aplying saline changes screen color back to normal ---> saline restores blood

No you are wrong sir.  Saline does not restore your blood.  It will change yourt screen back to color.  But it does not affect your blood.  And yes it will lower your blood level.  But if u have healthy status.  You will regenerate that blood pretty quickly.  Its always good to have a blood bag on your person at all times. just in case.  

Not sure about the whole saline argument...I always thought it was just a 5000 blood replacement....

BUT if you find a blood tester and someone that's O- you should grab as much blood as you can from yourself since it can be used on anyone and bloodbags are more common than saline...you just need to find some testers and get the luck of the draw on your bloodtype :)

I'm not really sure if anyone REALLY knows how saline bags work right now. I just personally think they work like old bloodpacks and wait until someone proves otherwise.

Also why every character I test is 0+ :(

I'm not really sure if anyone REALLY knows how saline bags work right now. I just personally think they work like old bloodpacks and wait until someone proves otherwise.

for now, I tested almost all my characters and:

- O+ x2 times

- A+ x2 times

- AB+ x1 time

I always do this. As soon as i am healthy, I get a friend to take my blood. I throw an IV on it, put it in my first aid kit and keep it in my bag. If I go down all my friend has to do is use my own bloodbag on me. First Aid made easy.

• Like 2

My understanding is saline restores volume (which affects blood pressure) which allows you to heal and regenerate blood naturally

Not sure about the whole saline argument...I always thought it was just a 5000 blood replacement....

BUT if you find a blood tester and someone that's O- you should grab as much blood as you can from yourself since it can be used on anyone and bloodbags are more common than saline...you just need to find some testers and get the luck of the draw on your bloodtype :)

My character is O- 

I'm also O- in real life. My buddy and I both had the same thing happen. 

EDIT: Not as valuable now as it will be. I'm assuming the saline thing is just a placeholder and will eventually be used to treat severe dehydration and blood bags will resume their place as ultimate health tool. 

Edited by DrGonzo

I'm guessing saline is not currently working as it will eventually. If I had to guess, I think it's just the "blood bag" item from the mod with new name and graphic.

Right now it does definitely restore blood to full.

• Like 1

My understanding is saline restores volume (which affects blood pressure) which allows you to heal and regenerate blood naturally

IRL yes, in the game it's a 5x O- bloodbag

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_distribution_by_country

O+ is common IRL as well

• Like 1

Check the wiki.

It says saline restores blood fully (and perhaps "energy / health").

As soon as you have enough (or full) blood, you begin to restore energy ("health").

I think this is still very subject to fine-tuning; IMO, the ideal behavior is that Saline Bags should help restore conditions that encourage the natural restoration of Blood over time, whereas Blood Bags ought to be an instantaneous injection, no waiting needed, even if your conditions (dehydrated, starving) would otherwise discourage Blood regeneration. Logic would also follow that a Saline Bag would only be helpful for someone that ain't already on death's doorstep. If you've been riddled full of holes and are bleeding out, that Saline injection probably isn't going to be enough to keep you in the pink, there's certainly some threshold that ought require a true Blood Bag to be effective.

• Like 1

Check the wiki.

It says saline restores blood fully (and perhaps "energy / health").

As soon as you have enough (or full) blood, you begin to restore energy ("health").

Energy is not health.  Energy is food. 

• Like 1

I really cant wait till Saline Bags are either temporary restorers or like suggested here, help to get your healthy up so that you may restore the actual like force - Blood. 

When I have healthy status and a friend takes blood from me, my screen goes gray and healthy goes away but color and healthy come back within 10 minutes. OP is correct.

Energy is not health.  Energy is food. 

Jupp, energy is food stored in your body as "fat reserves"

When I have healthy status and a friend takes blood from me, my screen goes gray and healthy goes away but color and healthy come back within 10 minutes. OP is correct.

Having a "healthy" allows your character to restore blood fast, so if you tap your blood the blood level will restore itself back to full pretty fast. Giving you the color back on your screen.

If saline IV restores color, then it restores blood.

• Like 1

Almost convinced this is all nonsense but with how intentionally obtuse and unintuitive this game is you can't really know.

I can tell you this, Healthy just means that your character is at full blood/health or whatever, it has nothing to do with healing or regenerating and I can prove it to you.

Eat/Drink until you get the healing status message, wait until it turns to 'Healthy'.

Alright, now run/sprint/wait, after a while you'll become thirsty or hungry but your character remains -Healthy-, as we all know, you can't regenerate while hungry or thirsty therefore Healthy does not signify regeneration.

Now if you get hit by someone, 'healthy' will disappear and you won't get the 'healing' status as you are hungry/thirsty.

I honestly have no idea where this whole 'HEALTHY MEANS YOU'RE REGENERATING FASTER' myth came from, it doesn't even make sense.

• Like 1

Almost convinced this is all nonsense but with how intentionally obtuse and unintuitive this game is you can't really know.

I can tell you this, Healthy just means that your character is at full blood/health or whatever, it has nothing to do with healing or regenerating and I can prove it to you.

Eat/Drink until you get the healing status message, wait until it turns to 'Healthy'.

Alright, now run/sprint/wait, after a while you'll become thirsty or hungry but your character remains -Healthy-, as we all know, you can't regenerate while hungry or thirsty therefore Healthy does not signify regeneration.

Now if you get hit by someone, 'healthy' will disappear and you won't get the 'healing' status as you are hungry/thirsty.

I honestly have no idea where this whole 'HEALTHY MEANS YOU'RE REGENERATING FASTER' myth came from, it doesn't even make sense.

I think your right, I have been wondering often why it doesn't change to healing after damage. BUT when you eat and drink enought to get that "healthy" status you actually will generate blood faster.

Well my "healthy" status doesn't go away and color doesn't come back.

I can only recommend to watch Merinos videos on that topic. He makes it really clear what each action concerning health/blood/energy/water/stomach is about and how they interact with each other AND backs it up with sources, testing, gamefiles and experience.

As far as healthy goes, you are certainly regging blood, I was hit accidentally with a fireaxe, with gray vision and the healthy status and I was certainly regging my blood. The misconceptions mainly are, that you can not see when your "energy storage" is empty, and because in a full stomach fits water as well as food.

Long video, but definitely worth half an hour.

• Like 1

Saline bags fix the screen discoloration that comes from losing... blood. 

Saline bags restore your... blood. 

Saline bags do not give you the status effect... 'healthy.'

Saline bags do not give you... 'health.'

Edited by HCHellCaptain