Hikurac

The strength of handcuffs

The strength of handcuffs  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Handcuffs should be...

• Completely unbreakable or only when they are pristine
    • Just take a much longer time to break out of
    • Stay as they are

Pristine cuffs should be unbreakable IMO. The "break-out time" should decrease per step of quality lesser than pristine. My mind does splurt out a "break-out" scenario/action when in possesion of keys for example. The idea behind that being fuddling with the keys untill they unlock the cuffs.

Edited by GriffZ

This makes more sense to me, roughly speaking:

Pristine: Unbreakable

Worn: Low chance the locking mechanism is broken. (80-90%?)

Damaged: Mid chance the locking mechanism is broken. (60%?)

Badly Damaged: High chance the locking mechanism is broken. (40%?)

Ruined: 100% broken.

Rather than struggling and breaking the cuffs, which is silly, the actual mechanism should be broken, preventing them from locking at all. Not only that though, there should also be the seperate chance that they wont unlock with a key, even if they do lock. So for example, a pair of damaged cuffs would have 60% chance of a broken locking mechanism, and another 60% chance of a broken unlocking mechanism. That way you'd have to test them before using them to know for sure, but in doing so you also run the risk of handcuffing yourself--requiring a friend to help you out. You might fail to cuff your captor, but you also might accidentally leave them cuffed; assuming you only have a key capable of freeing them (tools should be added too.)

When a player is cuffed and struggles to escape, if the locking is broken, they should instantly be freed from the cuffs... but of course, if you struggle to escape and the cuffs are solid then your captor might be a little angry at you. ;-)

Additionally there should be reasonably common tools capable of breaking handcuff chains such as bolt cutters. So you'd need a friend or a friendly player to help you out if you're left cuffed, and captors with cuffs that wont unlock you would have another way to free you.

Only very organised groups are going to bother testing out non-pristine cuffs before hand, so the chance of them not working when you do use them is going to be pretty tense.

• Like 1

Personally I think handcuffs, or at least pristine handcuffs should be unbreakable. I know people are going to complain saying that would be too harsh because it's a "game". I feel that everyone has forgotten DayZ's original purpose. To become the "anti-game". It was never meant to be a easy ride, it was meant to be a apocalypse simulator and a social experiment. Sometimes it's as if Dean himself has forgotten this, giving into what the community wants.