Sign in to follow this  
razgriz93@gmail.com

Pen and Paper

Allowing racism to go on in your video games is NOT a smart move.

So the removal was a good thing.

Yes, racism bad, violence good, right?

10 hours is a little on the extreme side, but i believe the idea is good.

Don't get me wrong, but time is a good idea to add some system to block newb notes, but his reasoning of racism isn't a solid reason, by that logic, huckleberry finn shouldn't be added. 

why?

how can you justify your comment...why is it not a smart move.

its not that they allowed racism in to the game. its the same as VOIP!

if i run around being racist and yelling at people in cherno, how is this not the same?

so why would they remove pen and paper...JUST ANOTHER forum of com

People that run around in game being twats like that  shouting racist slurs should be banned and never to return.

Racism is NOT cool, fun or needed in society be it games or real life.

Turning a blind eye to it is not the way to go just so some of you can pretend to leave letters around the map.

• Like 1

Yes, racism bad, violence good, right?

Fine. Put your head in the sand and just say it's ok.

Well done sir.

Gunplay is intented in this game. Racism is NOT.

• Like 2

Fine. Put your head in the sand and just say it's ok.

Well done sir.

Gunplay is intented in this game. Racism is NOT.

Whoosh, completely missing the point dude.  Racism is going to happen with or without pen and paper in this game, got that?  But to deny a tiny aspect because of a few select idiots yet still promoting violence is good, right?  

People that run around in game being twats like that  shouting racist slurs should be banned and never to return.

Racism is NOT cool, fun or needed in society be it games or real life.

Turning a blind eye to it is not the way to go just so some of you can pretend to leave letters around the map.

You must be offended by playing any game with human interaction.

It's going to happen as long as there's a way to communicate.

• Like 1

No personally I don't get offended by it. It has never happen to me.

(Just to clarify I am a while male)

None of my posts on this topic are an attack on anyone btw. I just have strong views on the subject.

People should treat there fellow man or women with respect.

Judge a person by their actions not the colour of their skin or there religious ties.

When they re-introduce it. They might add word filters and such like I don't know.

Don't get me wrong it was fun to read a note that had a good joke on it. 

There is a major difference between racism over voip and racism through pen and paper in the game. When a player is racist over voip, it is merely a transfer of audio from one player to another, and the game is the tool used to do that, It is not actually part of the game. When you allow a player to write on the paper in the game, you are generating actual game content and assets. When the game content is racist, the game by extension can be seen as racist by allowing semi-permanent racist content to exist, regardless of who created that content.

Furthermore, when the game relies on officially hosted servers, they are then storing that racist game content and providing it to all their players. With privately run servers this isn't as big of an issue as with corporate run servers. Either way though, it can reflect poorly on the game and the company when it's game world is riddled with racist assets. Remember, assets are different than simple misuse of the games capabilities (voip, or even arranging items on the ground to spell bad words)

About the violence. In the game violence, banditry, murder, etc. is all simulated. Actual violence is not taking place only simulated violence. However when players create racist comments in the game world, it is not merely simulated racism, it is actual racism.

Edited by WolfgangErikson

There is a major difference between racism over voip and racism through pen and paper in the game. When a player is racist over voip, it is merely a transfer of audio from one player to another, and the game is the tool used to do that, It is not actually part of the game. When you allow a player to write on the paper in the game, you are generating actual game content and assets. When the game content is racist, the game by extension can be seen as racist by allowing semi-permanent racist content to exist, regardless of who created that content.

Furthermore, when the game relies on officially hosted servers, they are then storing that racist game content and providing it to all their players. With player run servers this isn't as big of an issue. Either way though, it can reflect poorly on the game and the company when it's game world is riddled with racist assets. Remember, assets are different than simple misuse of the games capabilities (voip, or even arranging items on the ground to spell bad words)

They aren't providing racist content.   The people who make those notes will still yell racist slurs in chat, VOIP whatever they can get their hands on.  Hell, they probably call each item something racist because that's what they do.  So I guess by what you're saying is they should remove all items in this game because people will start labeling them something racist

People should treat there fellow man or women with respect.

Judge a person by their actions not the colour of their skin or there religious ties.

I agree with this too, though it's a person's choice to do so.

This game is all about real interaction, and as everyone know, hate and racism are in the real world.

Do I support racism? No, but I'm not against it either.

Bathroom stalls are a decent example of humans. You're going to see profanity on a lot of public places.

• Like 1

I've been searching for the source I got the racism message from. Maybe it wasn't a reliable source but I think I read it in one of the dev topics.

They aren't providing racist content.   The people who make those notes will still yell racist slurs in chat, VOIP whatever they can get their hands on.  Hell, they probably call each item something racist because that's what they do.  So I guess by what you're saying is they should remove all items in this game because people will start labeling them something racist

I don't think you really understood what I was saying. Being racist on VOIP is completely different than allowing players to alter the game. It IS creating content whenever you make a note. VOIP however is merely a tool in the game to allow players to communicate. You can't be offended at the game when a player is racist over voip, you can only be offended at the player. If there are actual game models, and racist game content, then they can be offended at the game.

Despite what you believe, when a player writes a note in the game that has racist remarks on it, they are generating game content. And when they write a racist note in the game, they are generating racist game content. Only notes that have racist words / comments on them are racist.

And no, I'm not saying they should remove all items in the game, or any items for that matter. I was simply explaining the distinction between types of racism in the game, and why one type might be a bigger issue than another, and why a company like Bohemia might take action to take action against one type, and not another. (I'm not saying they did, just providing an explanation. They could have removed that functionallity for other reasons)

You severely misread my statements.

I don't think you really understood what I was saying. Being racist on VOIP is completely different than allowing players to alter the game. It IS creating content whenever you make a note. VOIP however is merely a tool in the game to allow players to communicate. You can't be offended at the game when a player is racist over voip, you can only be offended at the player. If there are actual game models, and racist game content, then they can be offended at the game. Despite what you believe, when a player writes a note in the game that has racist remarks on it, they are generating game content. And when they write a racist note in the game, they are generating racist game content. Only notes that have racist words / comments on them are racist.

And no, I'm not saying they should remove all items in the game, or any items for that matter. I was simply explaining the distinction between types of racism in the game, and why one type might be a bigger issue than another.

You severely misread my statements.

Yet promoting violence via guns is better right?  I just think it's silly that they removed something because a small select few kids were being dipshits.  They should be able to track the player that wrote it and ban them.

Yet promoting violence via guns is better right?  I just think it's silly that they removed something because a small select few kids were being dipshits.  They should be able to track the player that wrote it and ban them.

In the game violence, banditry, murder, etc. is all simulated. Actual violence is not taking place only simulated in the game world. However when players create racist comments on notes in the game world, it is not merely simulated racism, it is actual racism. From a marketting and legal standpoint, this would be the explanation and reasoning.

If racism was in fact the reason they removed this element of the game, I'm sure they only did it as a temporary quick solution until they can find some better way to handle it. It was probably just easier to do that at this point in the games development than try to find another solution such as banning or censoring that will allow players to use but not abuse this game functionality. They have more imporant things to work on than pen and paper functionality. I'm sure later on in development this will be re-implemented.

• Like 1

OMG dude you are on cloud 9...your rational makes ZERO sense.

again if pen and paper = racism and is removed because (which it wasnt), then VOIP must go too by your argument. T-W-A-T

its a fucking video game...

Rocket, you must remove VOIP because DayZHero doesnt want freshspawns running around shouting racist remarks and trying to hit you with an axe while naked.

thank you

Edited by deebz1234

I can't wait to find my first paper with "ur a fagget" on it.

Incidentally, I was going to leave a paper with that on it in the middle of a room visible from the only entrance, hide in a corner/behind the counter, and then when they pick it up/read it, hold them up.

• Like 1

For the last time, notes were NOT removed because of "racism." They get deleted after a server reset ffs. You aren't "altering the game world." You are communicating within the game world. If your bitch ass gets easily offended, then don't read the note. It's not like the note chases you around and broadcasts it's message to you constantly. We had the same discussion with spraypaint and drawing on objects and such. This is an adult game. It's not for children who have no sense of integrity or self-awareness. Just because someone writes something racist or draws a penis (big fucking deal) does not mean you're going to emotionally scar someone. You encounter more racism and profanity on Xbox Live, and that's generally targeted at an individual. A note or drawing isn't. I don't see why people even give two fucks about what someone else writes in a video game. It doesn't hurt you. Jesus.

• Like 6

Apparently you people never play source engine games with the ability to spraypaint shit all over the map during a match, you guys think a couple words on a paper are offensive.

LMAO.

This is a game where you can handcuff an unarmed woman and force feed her disinfectant to watch her die slowly. I truly believe if you get offended from what people write on a piece of paper you need to find a different game to play. 

Edited by dromag67

Allowing racism to go on in your video games is NOT a smart move.

So the removal was a good thing.

How is that different to people typing in chat? Or talking in direct?

oooooh thats why I cant write on paper anymore...

srsly?

because of those Nazi kids?

damn...I wish the internet wouldnt cause such dickheads to rise

They could go with a Dark Souls-esque style and allow you to "write" pre-selected messages. ____ ahead, or _____ to the _____, and you fill in the slots from a word bank like "bandits ahead", or "loot upstairs" or something. Maybe let you put your ingame name on it, simple phrases like "Good luck", "Enjoy", "Be safe", etc etc.

And for those who like to play on the darker side of things, maybe leave warning messages, set traps with the paper leading the reader to loot that is really an ambush, etc.

No racism, written way to communicate, etc.