Sign in to follow this  
Styxx (DayZ)

Street Sign Need English Name and Why

Man the biggest grip I've had about Dayz from the start has always been the German names on the road signs.

I know the signs in real life don't have English versions written on them.   But my argument behind why it needs changed is if the whole town had tons of English speaking people landing on there shoreline before the Dayz apocalypse they might have

Not asking to change much but putting English names in smaller letters on the actually road signs underneath the German names in game would make my enjoyment of this game skyrocket 10 fold.

• Like 1

Man the biggest grip I've had about Dayz from the start has always been the German names on the road signs.

I know the signs in real life don't have English versions written on them.   But my argument behind why it needs changed is if the whole town had tons of English speaking people landing on there shoreline before the Dayz apocalypse they might have

Not asking to change much but putting English names in smaller letters on the actually road signs underneath the German names in game would make my enjoyment of this game skyrocket 10 fold.

You're one dumb person...

It's Russian!

Besides, why would a Russian nation have English in their signs when no-one there speaks or reads English?

• Like 8

You're one dumb person...

It's Russian!

Besides, why would a Russian nation have English in their signs when no-one there speaks or reads English?

Well, someone didnt read the OP...

• Like 1

Well, someone didnt read the OP...

I did read it. His reasoning is flawed.

Why would a short-term influx of English speakers in a time of war prompt a broken government to make unneeded changes to their road signs?

• Like 3

Its not too far fetched to see English street signs in foreign non English speaking countries. South Korea,Japan,Thailand for example, have English signs below their primary ones. 

• Like 2

I like them as they are. Adds to the atmosphere. Once you learn the map, you won't even look at the signs.  :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Its not too far fetched to see English street signs in foreign non English speaking countries. South Korea,Japan,Thailand for example, have English signs below their primary ones. 

Those are places in Asia, the majority of which have writing systems that are completely unreadable to most English speakers.

Russian is very readable if you try to learn it.

It only took me a week to learn to read at a quick pace.

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 1

Those are places in Asia, the majority of which have writing systems that are completely unreadable to most English speakers.

Russian is very readable if you try to learn it.

It only took me a week to learn to read at a quick pace.

Thats besides the point.  There are English stop signs already in game and Bilingual signs in Russia.

metro1-in-st-petersburg.jpg

Seeing how in ArmA lore, Chernarus was a point of interest to the west, this would not be too far fetched.

• Like 2

yeah  my bad to whatever the country is,.  I dont really keep up with where the game is actually from.

I'm not asking that  russia or germany or china change there signs in real life.     I'm simply saying that if in fact thousands upon thousands of people came into there town   (not far fetched being its going on after the zombie  destruction) before all of it went down    that they might in fact have done so.

hell allow me a can of spray paint in game and i'll fix it myself.  

If the video game world is full of english only speaking people,   then i dont find it far fetched the signs cant be altered a little to help us   "dumb  people"   that dont speak that language 

Thats besides the point.  There are English stop signs already in game and Bilingual signs in Russia.

-snip-

Seeing how in ArmA lore, Chernarus was a point of interest to the west, this would not be too far fetched.

Russia is a first-world tourist friendly, at peace country. Chernarus on the other hand is a third-world, war-torn hell hole. Now with zeds.

Plus the "map" of Chernarus we play on is only a small southeastern part of the country, no where near hot-spots like the capital.

yeah  my bad to whatever the country is,.  I dont really keep up with where the game is actually from.

I'm not asking that  russia or germany or china change there signs in real life.     I'm simply saying that if in fact thousands upon thousands of people came into there town   (not far fetched being its going on after the zombie  destruction) before all of it went down    that they might in fact have done so.

hell allow me a can of spray paint in game and i'll fix it myself.  

If the video game world is full of english only speaking people,   then i dont find it far fetched the signs cant be altered a little to help us   "dumb  people"   that dont speak that language 

Again, a short-term influx of people in a war/zed-torn country. Why would any one stop to change some signs?

• Like 2

Again, a short-term influx of people in a war/zed-torn country. Why would any one stop to change some signs?

This guy would.    I think your getting a little carried away with  yourself and this "realism"     if the game was true to real life  people would already ripped up the road signs from the ground to use them as fortifications / weapons.     Forests would already be rampaged by forest fires from people that lack the outdoor ability to sustain a fire in a dense forests.

I'm just a country boy from kentucky.. i grew up on that sort of stuff  others didn't.       I"m not asking to change the world to make stupid hicks like me understand roadsigns.     I'm asking to make a video game more enjoyable. 

In real life if the zombies started roaming.   i'm pretty positive cherno will be pretty safe when it comes from a bunch of english speaking people invading there territory. 

• Like 1

This guy would.    I think your getting a little carried away with  yourself and this "realism"     if the game was true to real life  people would already ripped up the road signs from the ground to use them as fortifications / weapons.     Forests would already be rampaged by forest fires from people that lack the outdoor ability to sustain a fire in a dense forests.

I'm just a country boy from kentucky.. i grew up on that sort of stuff  others didn't.       I"m not asking to change the world to make stupid hicks like me understand roadsigns.     I'm asking to make a video game more enjoyable. 

In real life if the zombies started roaming.   i'm pretty positive cherno will be pretty safe when it comes from a bunch of english speaking people invading there territory. 

The entire theme of DayZ is "realism" and "authenticity." Also, a heavy, thin, steel road sign as a fortification/weapon? It's much too thin to protect against any projectile and the weight of the damned thing would make it an impractical weapon if you could get out of the ground. Plus we don't know how old the apocalypse is, after all we're still finding canned goods, working firearms, and ammunition. It mustn't be that old of a disaster.

• Like 1

Julius Caesar, I gave you all my beans.  Also,  Creature mentioned it adds to the atmosphere,  I will agree on that as well

• Like 1

Russia is a first-world tourist friendly, at peace country. Chernarus on the other hand is a third-world, war-torn hell hole. Now with zeds.

Plus the "map" of Chernarus we play on is only a small southeastern part of the country, no where near hot-spots like the capital.

What makes you think it is 3rd world other than the fact that the map cannot support real cities and the devs aren't done designing?

• Like 1

So, you want the dev's to waste valuable time on a feature that makes very little sense and you don't really need?

Play the game, you'll learn where things are.

• Like 1

What makes you think it is 3rd world other than the fact that the map cannot support real cities and the devs aren't done designing?

Well, the fact that it's a post-soviet state, poor overall, in the center of a civil war, and doesn't have the luxuries a first-world country does.

The way people talk to each other on forums nowadays no wonder we have so much KOS ingame... 

Well, the fact that it's a post-soviet state, poor overall, in the center of a civil war, and doesn't have the luxuries a first-world country does.

Not all post soviet states are poor and most have bilingual signs.

Where did you get this information?

What are the luxuries of a 1st world nation that Chenarus doesn't have?

• Like 1

Chernarus on the other hand is a third-world, war-torn hell hole. Now with zeds. Plus the "map" of Chernarus we play on is only a small southeastern part of the country, no where near hot-spots like the capital.

The International Airport and Major cities would be considered a Hot Spot. Also seeing how the Chernarussian were co-operating with the US during their civil war and perhaps during the infected crisis, it does not seem unreal to see bilingual signs to aid troop movements. On an off lore note, it helps newer players that haven't played ArmA or Standalone and no understanding of the Russian Language learn the map.

Not all post soviet states are poor and most have bilingual signs.

Where did you get this information?

What are the luxuries of a 1st world nation that Chenarus doesn't have?

I agree, not all post-soviet states are poor.

The poorness was assumed as the state of Chernarus is much much lower technologically to first-world countries.

The statement of civil war is taken directly from the ArmA II campaign.

Some luxuries like modern TVs, computers, and overall technology. From what we've seen in the Chernarus in ArmA II and DayZ, all assumptions of course.

The International Airport and Major cities would be considered a Hot Spot. Also seeing how the Chernarussian were co-operating with the US during their civil war and perhaps during the infected crisis, it does not seem unreal to see bilingual signs to aid troop movements. On an off lore note, it helps newer players that haven't played ArmA or Standalone and no understanding of the Russian Language learn the map.

Perhaps, however we do not know what the state of Chernarus was before the civil war. Also, during the middle of a war why would anyone, Chernarussian or American, take time to change a sign? And from what I've heard US troops are required or highly recommended to learn the written language of their operations. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know much about the military's stance on foreign language learning.

Edited by Julius Caesar

I agree, not all post-soviet states are poor.

The poorness was assumed as the state of Chernarus is much much lower technologically to first-world countries.

The statement of civil war is taken directly from the ArmA II campaign.

Some luxuries like modern TVs, computers, and overall technology. From what we've seen in the Chernarus in ArmA II and DayZ, all assumptions of course.

Perhaps, however we do not know what the state of Chernarus was before the civil war. Also, during the middle of a war why would anyone, Chernarussian or American, take time to change a sign? And from what I've heard US troops are required or highly recommended to learn the written language of their operations. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know much about the military's stance on foreign language learning.

Well I don't really know about that either.

Thanks for the info though, I guess I am really on the fence with this issue.

• Like 1

In the military they tell deploying personnel how to say certain phrases like "Halt" or greetings and customs but do not attempt to teach every person the local language. When it comes to navigating to areas off base, its not uncommon to have English reading signs to direct them as elements like Blue Force Tracking is not 100% dependable. 

Boys i never dreamed posting something this simple would attract some haters..  

I think the learning how to navigate north / east  / south / west is that challenge.   Immersion would be so much better if i didn't have to alt/tab to find the english  verson of the town.    

I dont even have a keyboard to type out the actually letters of the town in game.       That alone is a barrier that warrants a reason to add the names.     Like others said it's not uncommon to see other languages under the countries main language signs.  

As far as using valuable time of the creators that would be simple as  Rocket telling the graphical department to add in the english name underneath the signs.   That wouldn't  take that much time at all.       This game is still in early alpha and changes happen all the time.     Coders dont do art work fixes.       Creating a gun model from scratch   could take time.   Adding a word underneath a flat object is nothing.

In the military they tell deploying personnel how to say certain phrases like "Halt" or greetings and customs but do not attempt to teach every person the local language. When it comes to navigating to areas off base, its not uncommon to have English reading signs to direct them as elements like Blue Force Tracking is not 100% dependable. 

Ah, thank you for the information.

Boys i never dreamed posting something this simple would attract some haters..  

I think the learning how to navigate north / east  / south / west is that challenge.   Immersion would be so much better if i didn't have to alt/tab to find the english  verson of the town.    

I dont even have a keyboard to type out the actually letters of the town in game.       That alone is a barrier that warrants a reason to add the names.     Like others said it's not uncommon to see other languages under the countries main language signs.  

As far as using valuable time of the creators that would be simple as  Rocket telling the graphical department to add in the english name underneath the signs.   That wouldn't  take that much time at all.       This game is still in early alpha and changes happen all the time.     Coders dont do art work fixes.       Creating a gun model from scratch   could take time.   Adding a word underneath a flat object is nothing.

Well, it really isn't an argument over the dev's time. It's more about it's place in the game's lore. It just doesn't make sense given all the information we have.

Plus, learning at least to read Russian is a valuable skill by itself and then you can say a game can teach you something.

Ah, thank you for the information.

Well, it really isn't an argument over the dev's time. It's more about it's place in the game's lore. It just doesn't make sense given all the information we have.

Plus, learning at least to read Russian is a valuable skill by itself and then you can say a game can teach you something.

Yes.   It could be alot simpler if i learned how to speak russian.  But this is a video game.   and the underlining fact still stands that  with normal typing on most of our keyboards we couldn't even type out the actual Russian name to people  by typing without some use of alt codes or something.

For instance some friends bought dayz after seeing me and some buddies play it and they got into game.   They asked where i was and i told em cherno. I told em to find  a road sign and they couldn't even come close to pronouncing it.   It wasn't immersive at all.   They had to do what everybody else has to do.    Go to www.dayzdb.com  and figure it out.     It was an annoyance to them and i'm sure every other new player that gets into the game..     This problem could be solved quickly.    

The fact is if you have played long enough like i have you will know the city without having to use a sign.   To  me doing this will make a "Video game"   more enjoyable to alot more.   Just cause they can read the sign still dont mean they know how to tell which way is up once they  read it.

Edited by Styxx