Sign in to follow this  
Andarne (DayZ)

Game Optimization

Hey there folks!

I just replaced a bunch of components in my rig today; the CPU, the mobo and finally, the RAM.

Sadly, I have to say, it's not improved frames at all in DayZ. At least, not moderately.

With all the optimizations in the FPS enhancer thread, and the startup paramaters, I'm still averaging around 13FPS near Olsha.

Any ideas? Are the devs going to tell us if optimization is still on the list? Do tell!

Hey there folks!

I just replaced a bunch of components in my rig today; the CPU, the mobo and finally, the RAM.

Sadly, I have to say, it's not improved frames at all in DayZ. At least, not moderately.

With all the optimizations in the FPS enhancer thread, and the startup paramaters, I'm still averaging around 13FPS near Olsha.

Any ideas? Are the devs going to tell us if optimization is still on the list? Do tell!

The games in Alpha, has not been optimized yet. 

Hey there folks!

updates every part of computer except one that matters most.

is surprised it doesnt change anything.

LOL, no budget for a video card? afaik this game doesnt offload anything to the cpu. Gpu does all the processing

LOL, no budget for a video card? afaik this game doesnt offload anything to the cpu. Gpu does all the processing

Actually, you are wrong sir!

A month or so, ago, I replaced my dying Radeon HD6850 with a spanking new Radeon HD7850 2GB.

Before you attempt to bash, learn more. 

CPU is notoriously more important than GPU in this game.

Optimazation is mostly done in Beata afaik,except if it becomes a big problem. But then again i am no programmer and this could be bs.

I had easily more than 60 fps at all times in the mod. I barely get 30 in urban areas in SA. It's the same map so what the hell happened?

I had easily more than 60 fps at all times in the mod. I barely get 30 in urban areas in SA. It's the same map so what the hell happened?

MUCH more and more detailed buildings.

CPU is notoriously more important than GPU in this game.

This. :thumbsup:

What I did was just forget what everyone else is doing because everyone is different. Go through your menu and adjust each variable. Keep track of what your FPS does and find what works for you. I went from 18 to 40 on the menu screen by doing this and run about 35-45 in game.

• Like 1

What exactly is your upgraded specs? I haven't had an issue with frames and my pc isn't that impressive.

Make sure you have ambient occlusion off, it uses like 15-20 frames

Edited by kermo50

Simply put, you aren't going to get 60 FPS everywhere in this game. It's just not going to be possible, no matter what optimisations they throw at the engine. So if that is your end game here, then this is not the game for you.

If you can live with 35~45 FPS in built up areas, then you'll be a little bit happier, but you're going to have to compromise on some of those 'eye candy' features to do it. Like DevilDog, I went through each setting and tweaked them to get a compromise between what I was seeing and average FPS. Found something I liked and will stick with that.

I started from everything on, and tweaked things down. I tried the other way, from low and turning things on, but that was soul destroying!

The biggest factor in all this, seems to be the fact that you get restricted to 4 cores of a CPU and only 50% GPU activity. I have been unable to get DayZ to use more cores or hit the GPU harder.

I run the game at 10 frames sometimes. It's playable, but it sucks. Yes, i'm playing on a potato. But the game runs fine everywhere but the cities.

And I ran the mod with much worse settings.

Edited by Daemonkid

Yea, placing more enterable buildings close together, combined with bad hidden surface removal in the engine is what made cities have such low FPS in SA. They will probably be forced to try to optimize it, at some point.

Edited by lothix

Simply put, you aren't going to get 60 FPS everywhere in this game. It's just not going to be possible, no matter what optimisations they throw at the engine. So if that is your end game here, then this is not the game for you.

I'm happy to just get more than 1FPS in any game I play. My old rig was notorious for freezing, and such.

If you can live with 35~45 FPS in built up areas, then you'll be a little bit happier, but you're going to have to compromise on some of those 'eye candy' features to do it. Like DevilDog, I went through each setting and tweaked them to get a compromise between what I was seeing and average FPS. Found something I liked and will stick with that.

I often skirt the line between performance and quality; I value both. Sadly, however, I have yet to see such decent frames in built-up areas at all. I get around 11-19 in Olsha.

I started from everything on, and tweaked things down. I tried the other way, from low and turning things on, but that was soul destroying!

Haha, I hear you brother. I did this when I first installed the game, but it's become progressivley worse over time. I'll pop it back to 'Very High' and turn things down from there.

My goal is, as you said, to get around 35-40 frames in places like Chernarus, instead of 5.

If it helps, here are my launch paramaters for the game. This has been the only game on Steam that I've had to apply them, so I don't know if they're correct or not. For the record; 8GB RAM and a Hex-core 3.5GHz processor.

-nosplash -noPause -skipIntro -world=empty -maxMem=4094 -maxVRAM=2047 -cpuCount=6 -exThreads=6

This. :thumbsup:

What I did was just forget what everyone else is doing because everyone is different. Go through your menu and adjust each variable. Keep track of what your FPS does and find what works for you. I went from 18 to 40 on the menu screen by doing this and run about 35-45 in game.

this is what you need to do with every RV game in my experience i see people looking and asking for other settings well its one of those games where almost everyones rig runs it differently what will give one guy fps may cost you fps lol try the settings yourself...

those parameters for launching will help a little ( some only to make the game initially load faster though skipintro world empty stuff. you can also try looking up some alterations you can make in your config files these may help you also good luck may the force of the RV engine be with you ( sorry had to nerd out there)

Edited by SoulFirez

You are one funny guy... I hope you are joking atleast..

can we get details? what did you replace and with what?

Edited DayZ.cfg

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1

Edited Andarne.DayZProfile.cfg

sceneComplexity=100000;

shadowZDistance=90;

viewDistance=1600;

preferredObjectViewDistance=1600;

regardless with a CPU change you should see 10fps minimum....unless the OP changed his 478 from a p4 to a p4 LOL!

Why is this even a discussion in Alpha??  Optimization will not start until a near full complete game.  If they optimized it now guess what would happen after they add new stuff, complete collapse.

regardless with a CPU change you should see 10fps minimum....unless the OP changed his 478 from a p4 to a p4 LOL!

It's been a long time since I've even used a machine with a Pentium 4 within. Long, long time.

The upgrade was from a fairly old (around 2 years, or so) generic Intel Quad-core 2.4GHz to a new AMD FX-6300 Hex core, running at 3.5GHz. The graphics too was from a dying Radeon HD6850 1GB to a Radeon HD7850 2GB. I upped my ram to 8GB and increased frequency to 1600MHz instead of the previous 4GB of generic DDR2.

I'm pretty happy with the overhaul, in general. Not to mention I received a £50 gift voucher for wine with the CPU xD