Sign in to follow this  
vgreg

SOLUTION: Identifying other players

When you join a server and before your character spawns, you have the option to select the players from the server list. The players you select will get a notification that you selected them. If a player is selected, they receive a message that, if accepted, will enable the two players to see each other's nametag. That way, groups can play together. It also allows people to stay anonymous if they want to. I can elaborate if you would like me to. What are your thoughts? 

I can appreciate the good intentions of your idea. Promoting team play is certainly a good thing, but it has to be done tastefully and carefully. Implementing a feature that requires players to perform actions "outside" the gameworld makes the gameplay drift towards the "arcade" category. Not much, but slightly.

Point is > we, as a community of gamers, already have supremely overpowered communication functionality. It's called TeamSpeak, SteamChat, or Ventrilo. In the spirit of sticking to its "simulator" roots, it would be counterproductive to its very existence to implement "arcade"'-like features. Virtual nametags in a realistic suvival simulator pretty much breaks the rules of...well...being a simulator.

We're already given the benefits of communication via external programs, which is, to be fair, completely overpowered from a gameplay perspective. That being said...since we have the luxury of external communication programs then the identification of your teammates out in Chernaurus shouldn't be something you struggle with.

"Hey, I'm wearing a green hat and a blue shirt, ok man?"

"Okay dude"

/end discussion

Should have nametags or some other way to recognize who your group is. Simply because: if you're running around with, say, four other maniacs in a zombie-infested hellscape, you most likely will know those guys and recognize them and their attire even from far away. Since there is no reason for anyone to wear nothing but military uniforms and ballistic helmets, this kind of recognition is impossible and unrealistic. Fixed with either tons more desirable options for gear or by giving us nametags.

Edited by Noitatohtori

"Fixed with either tons more desirable options for gear"

Its coming. Patience.

"Fixed with either tons more desirable options for gear"

Its coming. Patience.

I know they will add a lot more content, but how will they make it all equally desirable and yet distinct enough that there is actually a difference in character models?

We play in a large group, often more than five person running together. We hunt in busy places like Balota and NWAF. All wearing same military loot (ttsko plus helmet). Yes, sometimes we kill eachother but that is EXTREMELY rare and happened only twice. It is the matter of right way of group communication and constantly telling your mates where you are and what are you doing, you know. Like "Charlie, moving to the second barrack" stuff. Your group mates shall use same definitions for same places, tell their position in right way (not like "that's me, I am in these trees"), know what azimuth is, and you will be alright (at least you won't kill each other).

I know they will add a lot more content, but how will they make it all equally desirable and yet distinct enough that there is actually a difference in character models?

No worries my friend! Remember...they plan on adding mod support.

....and I plan on making some item variety mods of my own...but I'll keep the ideas secret for now.

(never doubt the ambition and creativity of modders) >> hence, DayZ exists. More variety of higher end gear.....will come my friend

EDIT: but i DO see your point.

Edited by DKR

There was a thread like this yesterday. Coloured arm, leg or head rags was the favourite solution.

edit: torn from a single coloured shirt you get 4 rags to share to your party.

Edited by Mullucka

The original arma engine allowed for custom face files and what not.  If we had more personally identifiable clothing that would be better than said solution.

Flagella, I have to say, your name creeps me the fuck out. I don't know why, but it does.

That's great

Why not the small icons/dots like wasteland mod? You could send friend request and if accepted, you can see each other like ~300 meters away. Just no nametags please. Oh and it would only work if you and your mates have a radio. Would be more realistic.

Edited by Nienko