Sign in to follow this  
HellSnake

Huge performance drop with ambient occlusion enabled.

I made a search, but couldn't find anything. Sorry if this has been discussed before or if this is not the place for this thread.

As the title says, I get a huge performance drop with ambient occlusion enabled. I'm talking a 10-20 fps drop. I play at 2560x1440 resolution, and without ambient occlusion I get 40 to 50 fps in the wilderness with everything maxed out (except edge smoothing and antialiasing, which I think are almost irrelevant at this resolution). With it enabled it drops to around 30, sometimes dropping to 27 or so. In cities, the drop is unnoticeable, maybe 2-3 fps from 28 to 25 or something like that, which makes it seems to me that, in cities, my GPU is not being used at its maximum, but that's a different issue.

Is this normal? Should ambient occlusion make that big of an impact in perfomance? I see the game looks way prettier with it enabled, so I would like to use it, but not at this cost. 

My specs:

Intel i7 4770k at the stock speed.

MSI Nvidia GTX 780 Gaming (954MHz Core (Boost Clock:1006MHz)).

32GB RAM at 1333 MHz.

SSD's - Samsung 840 PRO 128 GB for OS and 256GB for games. 

Everything running at comfortable temperatures. Any suggestions? Or is everything normal this way?

Game is not optimized. Some setting which would not normaly effect FPS will.....