Sign in to follow this  
Villar

Server Uniqueness

What if they made it like Minecraft servers?

Hold on, just hear me out.

So you'll be able to keep your characters right? But your equipment is unique to each server.

This makes more sense. It makes things more permanent too.

I remember EONS ago I played on a /v/ minecraft server run by nossr50 and I stayed on that servers for months until he shut it down.

Why?

Because a community was built. Because it felt permanent. I couldn't just get up and leave without losing all my equipment, loot, and friends.

The concept of creating a "safehaven area" would also be easier.

World hopping and stealing loot would also be fixed this way.

Although the concept of carrying your loot across servers is cool, it would be much more immersive and cooler if each server was unique.

I think it would also be kind of annoying with a lot of different characters with only minor differences. Hard on the servers to...

I always play the same server anyway? :)

When the servers have their own database, (At the moment all the saved data is held on 1 central database) then each server will save only its data and the synching from one server to the other will most likely not be needed anymore

I think it would also be kind of annoying with a lot of different characters with only minor differences. Hard on the servers to...

I always play the same server anyway? :)

What do you mean?

And yeah, that's great that you do play on the same server, however many people like to exploit this game by just spawning near some loot, then logging into a different server and steal it.

No I mean, and im only speaking for myself here, that I wold probably forget what servers I got what equipment in. :) Kind of a minor thing, but anyhow!

No I mean' date=' and im only speaking for myself here, that I wold probably forget what servers I got what equipment in. :) Kind of a minor thing, but anyhow!

[/quote']

Well if you've ever played a MMO before you would know that your character is unique to that server. Same thing, your character is unique to whatever server you picked.

I think this would steer too far away from what makes the game great: the fact that it feels like a persistent world across all servers.

Yeah I have to say I like the fact that characters are persistent across all servers. Sure, it can be exploited, but I'd find having a hundred different characters with different equipment and whatnot, an awful lot more irritating. If I can't get into my usual server, I'd still like to be able to use the equipment and set up I've spent time carefully building.

I actually like the current system where the dayz team impose server settings to server admins if they don't want to lose the right to host dayZ servers.

I think it should remain up to the dayz team to decide what is acceptable and what is not.

I Think it's a nice change from the "durr my server, my rules" mentality that you find on nearly every "host your own" games out there.

If you think there's admin abuse and hackers now, just wait until each server controls their own inventories. And I bid thee, a no thank you.