Sign in to follow this  
Furtherado

Meele system similar to MnB?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jHcZjWw9U

Skip to about 1:05 in the video to get a basic overview of what the meele is like in Mount and Blade.

Basicly you choose the attack direction by moving your mouse in the direction you wish to start the attack from. Say you move your mouse to the left as you left-click, starting an attack, you would cock back your meele weapon to the left, preparing a swing, you could either hold your mouse button in this "cocked" position, release the mouse button to swing or right click to cancel the swing.

You would use the mouse direction to similarily prepare overhead attacks and stabs (moving the mouse back) 

This system, while having a meele wep equipped, would allow you to also block in all 4 directions, by moving your mouse and pressing the right mouse button. 

While having a gun with a bayonet, you could have a button to switch to meele mode, and have two attacks for the bayonet, a high stab and a low stab. .

Mount and blade also has a "momentum" system and weapon weights, meaning that a fast weapon isnt always the best. Say you block a hit from an axe with a crowbar, this would stun you for a little while, not allowing you to immediately spam after the block.

The momentum system is touched upon in the video, basicly it represents the fact that you would do more damage to someone if you were able to swing at them from some distance while they were moving towards you, rather than only being able to swing a short distance, due to them being too close to you. The same principle applies in boxing and fighting sports, punches while grappling on the ground aren`t as effective, since you can`t get any power into the punches.

I`m not saying i want a copy-paste of this system, just throwing some ideas around.  

• Like 13

This would be tremendously interesting to the gameplay! An enjoyable melee mechanic would bring the focus away from guns, which would just be nice in general 

Not sure how hard that would be to code, but a couple of minor perks to the melee system would be really cool. A charging attack of some sort that does more damage (broader swing). Or, as I think you're mentioning, adding a little bit of the drag mechanic, using your mouse (body momentum) to swing at a wider range.

While i've become pretty familiar with melee weapons as they are (I have 26 confirmed melee kills so far), I think it would only add to the skill of using them.

Would be a fun add to the game. I remember M&B when it was first introduced, and loved the melee system even though it felt really simple.

I've spent many hours with Mount and blade, it got a solid meele system. But in my opinion it would overdo the game, adding too much depth to something that doesnt have to be so complicated.

It's already a high risk, and even to a point, frightening to go within range of a zombie or player with meele, I think adding theese abilities to each player would remove that.

The soldiers in Mount and blade's era, have most likley been trained in combat with sword, spear and shield and got a good grasp on sparring. I see the average survivor in Dayz to be a random nobody, someone who happens to be alive, and will do anything to keep it that way, so they will probably just swing their axe and hope to hit their threat before it hits them. Reaction and tactics is still awarded in Dayz meele with dodges and timing, so the skilled players will still have a upper hand.

IMO; We have no need for directional attacks/blocks, weapon swingback, weight etc, however I can see the directional attack/block be a feature in the future, it's not impossible.

I do agree with the bayonett however, switching from javelin to spear is smooth and should work similar in dayz when switching from firearm to bayonett. A good way to tell if someone got their bayonett ready, should be when they have their trigger hand moved to the stock and changing stance.

This would be amazing. I really wish they would hire some one just to work on the melee system. I have yet to play a game that was able to combine melee with range.

Imagine fighting it out with a couple axes in this manner?

Other ideas to enhance this.

Riot shield, night stick combo

Use hacksaw to cut wood axes into hatchets and duel wield them.

Stick + rope + rock = flail

however I can see the directional attack/block be a feature in the future, it's not impossible.

I do agree with the bayonett however, switching from javelin to spear is smooth and should work similar in dayz when switching from firearm to bayonett. A good way to tell if someone got their bayonett ready, should be when they have their trigger hand moved to the stock and changing stance.

That is the biggest thing. Instead of some clumsy swing at least let us choose the direction and defend ourselves.

I've spent many hours with Mount and blade, it got a solid meele system. But in my opinion it would overdo the game, adding too much depth to something that doesnt have to be so complicated.

It's already a high risk, and even to a point, frightening to go within range of a zombie or player with meele, I think adding theese abilities to each player would remove that.

The soldiers in Mount and blade's era, have most likley been trained in combat with sword, spear and shield and got a good grasp on sparring. I see the average survivor in Dayz to be a random nobody, someone who happens to be alive, and will do anything to keep it that way, so they will probably just swing their axe and hope to hit their threat before it hits them. Reaction and tactics is still awarded in Dayz meele with dodges and timing, so the skilled players will still have a upper hand.

IMO; We have no need for directional attacks/blocks, weapon swingback, weight etc, however I can see the directional attack/block be a feature in the future, it's not impossible.

I do think meele will become a more important element of the game if they add more, and more dangerous zombies. If you want to scavenge a town for supplies it would be in your interest to remain as quiet as possible, and you could frequently encounter players who`ll be thinking the same. I think it would add more skill and intensity to the meele fights, instead of just face-hugging someone and spamming your attack button. 

Edited by Furtherado

I'm glad that you brought Mount & Blade's melee combat up! :) Played it too (you guys might also want to try War of the Roses- it's currently F2P on steam).

This has potential, but devs would have to code in the different directions of a zed's attack (overhead, sides, bottom) to make the blocking system work. But as it currently stands, the game is too clunky - not to mention the horrible FPS in its current build - to properly pull off this kind of gameplay without frustrating players. I remember when I was playing Mount & Blade you need at least 50 fps and a low ping to keep the game from being frustrating. You also need tight controls - which is something the DayZ engine is having trouble with since the mod.

DayZ doesn't even come close to Skyrim's melee combat (and that game is miles away from M&B's supreme melee combat).

Edited by tingkagol

I would be happy with even just taking away the fact that you slow down when using 'Q' and 'E' while in melee mode so that you could dodge blows while moving about. I've tried this to some success, but because you slow down when using them in this mode, it makes Q and E for dodging somewhat useless. Would add a little more skill to the mix, granted the hit box moved with it.

I don't think that would be immensely hard to code at all.

Edited by Gekkonidae

I have 800 hours on MnB multi, and it is a good system, and it would be probably a good idea to implement something in this fashion, though maybe it would be a bit of an over-design.

You might want to prevent feintspamming, maybe some kind of a stamina system ? Nothing more frustrating then a spear feintspammer lol.

Chivalry also has an interesting melee combat, tho that is probably very difficult to bring into this game.

• Like 1

I have 800 hours on MnB multi, and it is a good system, and it would be probably a good idea to implement something in this fashion, though maybe it would be a bit of an over-design.

Agreed on the overdesign. Although, I feel like a scrub with my mere 300 hours ;>

Suggested the same thing. It would make the melee much more useful and interesting. Having to use overhead strikes in closed quarters and paying attention to your surroundings so that you dont hit walls and other obstacles with your side swings. Only problem is it might be too much of a hassle to implement it, but I doubt its going to be too hard.

Everyone knows Chivalary: Medieval Warfare has the superior melee system.

Of course expecting the clunky and lag prone DayZ to provide anything resembling the experience of the Chiv is really fruitless.

• Like 1

If they managed to implement Mount & Blade's directional attacks alone I'd be happy. It would feel a lot better than doing the same attack every time. Would be nice if they made them quick and fluid too. They'd have to have different controls.

All-out fencing with fire axes would be a bit silly however.

Edited by Gews

Everyone knows Chivalary: Medieval Warfare has the superior melee system.

Of course expecting the clunky and lag prone DayZ to provide anything resembling the experience of the Chiv is really fruitless.

Bollocks.

On Chivalry you just have to press rmb to block.

Mount and Blade has the best melee system available, imho.

Needs skills. Spamming will only get you killed.

• Like 1

Yes, also if you had to charge your attacks for more damage, meaning you could just one shot a zombie with any melee weapon given enough power. And some weapons would be faster than others etc.

They could just as easily use the system from Wotr and Wotv. The melee system in wotv is awsome apart from some of the strange hitboxes.I played M&B for years and WotV was the first game after that that made melee satisfactory..all other games just did'nt cut it for me. But i digress, anyways more melee combat in this game would be awsome, im not gonna complaining to much, because Dayz SA's melee system is far better than the mod!

Bollocks.

On Chivalry you just have to press rmb to block.

Mount and Blade has the best melee system available, imho.

Needs skills. Spamming will only get you killed.

Clearly you've never played chivalry, the blocking box is both placement based as well as timing based if not using a shield, the stamina system also discourages excessive blocking.

in MnB you just have to look in a specific direction and hold block until your shield breaks.

Clearly you've never played chivalry, the blocking box is both placement based as well as timing based if not using a shield, the stamina system also discourages excessive blocking.

in MnB you just have to look in a specific direction and hold block until your shield breaks.

I clearly played both.

Timing the parry is damn easy.

Parrying with a sword (not a shield) on M&B requires timing and coordination.

Shields are for pussies who cannot duel with a real weapon. And get promptly smacked by a morningstar.

Enter a duel server, then tell me.

Edited by iRazgriz

If they managed to implement Mount & Blade's directional attacks alone I'd be happy. It would feel a lot better than doing the same attack every time. Would be nice if they made them quick and fluid too. They'd have to have different controls.

All-out fencing with fire axes would be a bit silly however.

Exactly. I think a simple left, right and overhand attack system and a simple block would be great. Block would be mostly effective against other players, less effective against zombies.

Anything that makes it so I don't have to attack 10 meters out would make me happy though lol.

I clearly played both.

Timing the parry is damn easy.

Parrying with a sword (not a shield) on M&B requires timing and coordination.

Shields are for pussies who cannot duel with a real weapon. And get promptly smacked by a morningstar.

Enter a duel server, then tell me.

No you clearly haven't as you insist that parrying is merely timing based in chivalry when it 100% isn't, try parrying an attack while looking the other way, the parry-box is a rectangle shape that appears in the center of your FOV for a short duration of time.

No you clearly haven't as you insist that parrying is merely timing based in chivalry when it 100% isn't, try parrying an attack while looking the other way, the parry-box is a rectangle shape that appears in the center of your FOV for a short duration of time.

... Because on M&B you parry hits from every side?

Lel.

Did I ever say that? "Lel" (what a retarded meme). You said something false about Chivalry ('Parry is strictly timing based' "Lel") which indicates that you've never actually played the game or that if you did you misunderstood how that mechanic works "Lel".

Now you claim that I said something about how parrying works in M&B which I never did, to which I say "LeL" (cause I'm a 4chan baby).

Edited by AmirDayz

I have been a fan of MnB for years and would enjoy having a melee system similar to it. Maybe not as in depth as the blocking/chamber blocking. Just a simple way to orient which direction you are going to swing (forehand, backhand, chop, etc.)  

Then I picture in my mind 4 survivors, two ATV's, and rifles with bayonets jousting in the wilderness. It made me giggle.

• Like 2