Sign in to follow this  
mjf6866

Dean Hall himself saying it needs "serious optimization"

for those worried that the game will not speed up, i found a youtube clip of Dean playing in the Cherno apartment complexes and him saying that it was "sucking frames" and in need of "serious optimization."  it didnt even look that slow in the video to me.  i'm not sure when this was recorded or if it was posted here before, but it makes me feel a little better that maybe i wont need a monster PC to run this on higher settings.

scroll to about the 25:00 mark.

It was released Dec 7 on youtube. so its safe to say it was recorded sometime before that. And that they have maybe already optimized it.

Sorry mate.

• Like 2

You know, everyone knows that it needs optimisation... every dev does, trust me. And everybody has always known.

EDIT : Don't bring the alpha argument. I love DayZ and the arma series, some might call me a fanboy, but A2 is long out of it's alpha and the same performance issues exsist.

It is delusional to think that performance will ever be "fixed" with the RV engine. Just look at it's history.

Edited by Weparo

Optimization isn't done and it won't be done for a while, as it will be done in the future for once and for all.

Optimization isn't done and it won't be done for a while, as it will be done in the future for once and for all.

You're lying to yourself. Sorry bro... :(

You're lying to yourself. Sorry bro... :(

If I remember correctly Mos1ey said what I said, himself.

Edited by Hosty

If I remember correctly Mos1ey said what I said, himself.

Well, let me put it like this : Why wasn't it done back with A2? Because it :

#1 Can't be done

#2 Is to difficult

#3 Fuck knows why but the same reason it hasn't been done in A2 and A3

Edited by Weparo

Well, let me put it like this : Why wasn't it done back with A2? Because it :

#1 Can't be done

#2 Is to difficult

#3 Fuck knows why but the same reason it hasn't been done in A2 and A3

Arma 3 is better optimized because it uses RV 3, unlike DayZ using the old RV 2.

Arma 3 is better optimized because it uses RV 3, unlike DayZ using the old RV 2.

Better optimized? DUDE, did you even play it? stfu. half of the time its 40 fps and my gpu and cpu-max-thread at 50%. Now I belive to know why that is so and I'm fixing it, but don't tell me that that shit is "optimized". Sure, it was even worse in the alpha and beta, but don't tell me that A3 is well "optimized".

What settings are you guys getting 10fps?

I have i7 quad core@3.5ghz, 8 gig ram, nvidia 560 and I rarely have performance issues running on Normal and High settings, 1920x1080 res. Most of the issues I have that would be lag or fps related at all are with the inventory lagging badly at times and the occasional multiple shots from one click of the mouse

Edited by BLFonsworth
  • Like 1

You know, everyone knows that it needs optimisation... every dev does, trust me. And everybody has always known.

EDIT : Don't bring the alpha argument. I love DayZ and the arma series, some might call me a fanboy, but A2 is long out of it's alpha and the same performance issues exsist.

It is delusional to think that performance will ever be "fixed" with the RV engine. Just look at it's history.

Hate to admit but I think you're right, hopefully it does improve a bit but I'm not too hopeful.
  • Like 1

Everyone who said that it wont be optimized has proven an incredible invalid argument to prove that dayz will not be optimized comparing it to A2 and A3.

Dayz hasn't got either's engine, it has an hybrid. And optimization will be tried and done in a later stage where no more things need to be added, as optimizing it now then adding things that might break what has been done is too much of a risk right now on the Alpha. Said by Mr. R in one of the streams or a thread I remember.

The fact that the optimization will be tried doesn't mean it will be successfull or it will fail. But there are things that can be optimized since the FPS drop (in comparision to A3) is caused by the DayZ mechanics itself. They've got the guy who created the engine helping them with it too, so maybe an increased optimization will be seen. I wont expect too much difference from A3, as successfully optimizing an engine for every single PC out there requieres a shitload of work and a great amount of competent engineers, but I expect an incredible performance increasement after it's done, with stable FPSs all over the map on the table.

Also, that video is previous to the alpha release. Optimization for the same reason I stated before hasn't been worked on I believe so, no, it's still a pending task and hasn't been worked on, since no mention of it has been done in the patches. I believe that was one of the last streams from Mr. R and he was locking the build for release on those versions.

Edited by LouisK
  • Like 1

....you're really complaining about the frames in A2? It's 2013 2014. Are you running it on your cell phone?

I'm playing it maxed out with 40 to 60+ fps everywhere, thank you very much. But that's because it's 2014 as you stated. When the game came out that was impossible. And the optimisation inbetween 2010 and 2013 was, uhhm, let's say marginal. I have no doubts that the game will run fine with the latest '15 hardware. It's fine by me, but I'm adressing all the people going "Yeah, dis just need some optimisation, rocket you lazy fuck get at it" and then expect dayZ to run on a 2007 laptop. Because that ain't happening and that's not the way the world works. I myself get 50 to 80 fps on my rig, which is beyond fine. Hey, I wouldn't mind the devs spending some time to create some extra ultra-res textures, to make the game prettier, asI have an extremly capable build.

I expect an incredible performance increasement after it's done, with stable FPSs all over the map on the table.

I expect an incredible performance increasement

expect an incredible performance increasement

incredible performance increasement

This is what I mean. It's unrealistic. If it was just a matter of good will, they'd have done it with the other games too. Sure, some serious stuff will be worked out, but most of the time, when rocket was speaking of "optimisation" and "fps" he mean SERVER SIDE and SERVER FPS.

Let me ask you this : Why do you think is it that we have so few zombies at the moment? <- this is what they are all about, rightfully so.

Edited by Weparo

I'm playing it maxed out with 40 to 60+ fps everywhere, thank you very much. But that's because it's 2014 as you stated. When the game came out that was impossible. And the optimisation inbetween 2010 and 2013 was, uhhm, let's say marginal. I have no doubts that the game will run fine with the latest '15 hardware. It's fine by me, but I'm adressing all the people going "Yeah, dis just need some optimisation, rocket you lazy fuck get at it" and then expect dayZ to run on a 2007 laptop. Because that ain't happening and that's not the way the world works. I myself get 50 to 80 fps on my rig, which is beyond fine. Hey, I wouldn't mind the devs spending some time to create some extra ultra-res textures, to make the game prettier, asI have an extremly capable build.

I expect an incredible performance increasement

expect an incredible performance increasement

incredible performance increasement

This is what I mean. It's unrealistic. If it was just a matter of good will, they'd have done it with the other games too. Sure, some serious stuff will be worked out, but most of the time, when rocket was speaking of "optimisation" and "fps" he mean SERVER SIDE and SERVER FPS.

Let me ask you this : Why do you think is it that we have so few zombies at the moment? <- this is what they are all about, rightfully so.

i plan on building a PC late this year or possibly early 2015 (mainly for this game).  what are your specs right now Weparo so i know what i'll have to build towards?

also, do you know if its possible to run the standalone in RamDisk?  if so, can you give me a quick run down if you dont mind?

thanks

Edited by mjf6866

i plan on building a PC late this year or possibly early 2015 (mainly for this game).  what are your specs right now Weparo so i know what i'll have to build towards?

also, do you know if its possible to run the standalone in RamDisk?  if so, can you give me a quick run down if you dont mind?

thanks

Sure, no problem mate.

CPU : i5-4670K, I got it for 200 EUR, I'd wait for a similar price (right now it's backup at 250)

GPU : GTX 770, 2 GB (280 EUR)

And I run my whole PC + the ArmA series and DayZ on a 128 GB SSD (70 EUR)

Fairly important too : I have 1600-DDR3 Ram, but have already ordered 2400. Size doesn't matter much here, but speed does (see below)

The whole setup gives me 40 to 55 fps in cities (elektro & downtown cherno) and 50 to 60 in the wilderness (ironically my fps is sometimes better in the city than outside, lol)

As for ramdisk... Well, the whole DayZ install is about 10 GB so basically you need atleast 16 GB memory in total. If you already have that, go for it. If you have "only" 8 GB, you have the choice between spending an extra 70 for some memory or the same amount for a 120 GB SSD, I'd say : "Go for the SSD, install you whole windows on it again + DayZ. It is awesome"

This below applies to arma 3, and has been tested there. But I'd assume that it applies to DyZ too if both GPU and CPU are running at below 70%

How Ram speed matters and why you should get the fastest possible (especially that 1600 and 2400 have basically the same price but later is 50% faster)

=====================================================================================================================

There is a lot of people complaining (somewhat rightfully) that their CPUs and GPUs are at 40 to 60% while they get shit frames. So, obviously something is bottlenecking them. Since I have a very powerfull setup, it can only be one thing that people never pay attention to : Ram SPEEDS. Everyone always goes : "I haz 4/8/16 GB ram and this cpu + this gpu". Well, for dayZ and any other game out there it doesn't really matter how much you have, as most only use one to 3 GB. But the speed, ahhh, well that certainly matters (in arma/DayZ)! I OC'd my 1600 ram to 1866 and saw a 5 to 10 fps increase. everywhere. The loading screen, in cities, in the wilderness. Untill my GPU hit the 99% load mark (duh).

As I said, this probably applies to all RV games, but it's only been confirmed for A3.

Hope you 'll do fine with you build, but you might want to make a thread in the technology section of the forum, plenty of wiser people that can help you there.

EDIT

====

It's not only been my found, some guy apparently found the same thing three months before me.

Also, by the end of this year my system will be well outdated, better hardware will be on the market. Basically all cards will be mixed again. The game might need more ressources (likely) or be more optimized and need less (very unlikely).

Edited by Weparo

There is a ton of room for optimization. For example, nothing beyond the apartment your standing next to needs to be rendered. Nor do any apartment rooms on the other side. If your standing at the bottom, none of the upper floors need to be drawn, etc.  Also, I have a feeling a lot of the bottleneck is waiting for net code to complete processing. The client doesn't need to know anything about what is going on in Chernerus beyond what he can hear and see, at least in real time. Theres lots of weird shit going on. Why do shadows on give a better frame rate that off. Why do i get a small bump in framerate opening the menu. There is probably a lot of quick fixes to be made. I experienced a graphics programmer coming in a raising the framerate of Falcon 4.0 a long time ago and i've seen huge performance increases in patches come long after release.

Anyway, in the last 3 hour DayZ stream, which Rocket did on twitch, he mentioned several times that the team is focused on getting the "core experience" down first, then optimization and other refinements and things like new maps will come later. But he did mention optimization in those terms. Glad to hear.

Edited by Thane

As far as I am aware, DayZ doesn't even have occlusion culling right now, Rocket has said this, and since he said "it doesn't have it", to me that says it will come as part of optimization, which should increase performance in cities a lot(on the ground anyway...different story if you're high up and can see all the buildings anyway).

Also, Object Detail: Turn it down if you're lagging too much, if that doesn't help, you will need to invest in new hardware.

It was released Dec 7 on youtube. so its safe to say it was recorded sometime before that. And that they have maybe already optimized it.

Sorry mate.

They did their final pass at optimization the game prior to the alpha release. Sounds reasonable. 

Why on earth would you optimize something you are still building when your next "fix" will potentially just undo any optimizations that were managed.

They did their final pass at optimization the game prior to the alpha release. Sounds reasonable. 

Yep, optimizations are done in late development. The rendering of the world should and can be completely independent of other calculations.

Optimizations done? Who said that? Well some trolls on this thread did, but that means shit. Give some proof, video, forum thread/post or something. I dont belive that eveyone is going to spend $2000 on pc parts, so they could play this "optimized" game..

Edited by Nienko