Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Cowboy

Lets talk Hero's, Bandits, and Humanity

After seeing all the "Sanity" threads where people want to basically punish people for killing them. That won't happen, and it shouldn't, but there should be some system in place that tracks actions and, on top of making your play style easily identifiable, should give perks based on it.

Enter the mod style humanity system. It wasn't at all perfect, but it did what it was designed to do (mostly). If add in a few flavor perks for bandits and suddenly you have a system that would reward players for not killing everyone they meet indiscriminately, while also giving perks and tweaks for players that prefer that playstyle.

I feel the core of this system would be implementing a revised nameplate system, essentially your crosshair dot showing blue for Hero's and red for Bandits when targeted, or possibly just context text similar to hungry thirsty that suggests the players alignment.

Then you give perks

Hero's

-Small arms ballistic vest

-Slightly increased run speed

(Both from the mod)

-Any medical equipment works as pristine

Bandits

-No pain shakes or noise

-Increased accuracy with small arms

-Blood Restores 100%, cannot use saline, ignores blood types

-All restraints work as pristine

grumpy-cat-8141_preview_zps9177ab07.png

This would break realism.

Edited by raynor009
  • Like 5

You took those ideas way too far, but having some kind of progression would feel great. It highly depends on the community though, this are just our opinions on the forum. I guess something more viable would be, slightly run speed, decrease hunger/thirst threshold, things alike.

maybe instead we reward bandits for using handcuffs and heros for using meds and both for killing other to encourage holdups and help outs

I like the concept,but some this ideas are very immersion breaking. I get the running speed and the small arms, but why should heros have a ballistic vest out of nowhere?

Then you give perks

Hero's

-Small arms ballistic vest

-Slightly increased run speed

(Both from the mod)

-Any medical equipment works as pristine

Bandits

-No pain shakes or noise

-Increased accuracy with small arms

-Blood Restores 100%, cannot use saline, ignores blood types

-All restraints work as pristine

The mod was/is great but this is some carebear crap that the DayZ SA doesn't need.

With the exception of ballistic vest, which is probably a bit much considering it exists in game anyway, how would it break realism if indicators were in the same vein as thirst and hunger?

This is a RPG, just because its first person with guns doesn't make it any less of an RPG than wow or lineage. The only difference is that here there's no attachment to your character other than to your gear, and even that will become less of a factor once off character storage is implemented.

This is hardly a class system, all it does is adjust your game experience and how you're perceived based on how you play.

It adds depth to the game and to your decisions , which is something it really needs.

• Like 1

A hero/bandit system is nice. I like an easily identifiable means of trust. 

As for identifying them I'm not sure what would work well enough to make most happy.

I'd use an armband system that persists through clothe changes.

Say a medic armband for hero and nazi band on opposite arm for bandit?

Maybe with camo gear being the only thing that can cover it?

No perks should be given but a rewards system for helping should. 

There will always be trolls that only want to pk everyone regardless of perks.

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by Zebriah
  • Like 2

I don't see any harm in wanting to add systems to a game. Realistic or not, DayZ is a game with rules and systems in place to create a certain experience.

Alpha Cowboy, the OP, is trying to think of ways to improve his experience with the game by adding a new system. But it'd be tough to do that at this point without majorly upsetting people.

Imagine if a system like this--perks and punishments--had already been implemented into the DayZ mod back when. I doubt any of us would be upset about it--it was part of the game; we'd get used to it and probably get upset if it were TAKEN out.

Of course, raynor009 makes a good point when he says that it would break realism. But would a system like this be less fun?

Does fun need to = realism?

Plenty of games aren't realistic. But I guess the appeal of this one is that it's closer to being real than many other games. Would it really break the game--destroy your enjoyment of what makes DayZ fun--if you had something else to think about before you shot that guy who hasn't seen you yet in Elektro? 

" There will always be trolls that only want to pk everyone regardless of perks."

Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder how many of these people says no are doing it purely because they don't want to be easily identified as a bandit.

• Like 1

A hero/bandit system is nice. I like an easily identifiable means of trust. 

Of course you do, because that makes you comfortable and helps you feel safe.

Which is exactly the opposite of what you should feel when playing DayZ.

So, no.

For all those against it, remember this system was in the mod, it didn't have to be included, but it was. If anyone has seen anything officially stating it won't eventually be included I'd like a link to it, until then I'll assume it was done intentionally and will be done again.

Assuming that's the case, then I'm only suggesting additions to the system and balancing it. In the mod only hero's get benefits, this way both sides get a benefit and the system also becomes immersive, which would be a win win.

Of course you do, because that makes you comfortable and helps you feel safe.

Which is exactly the opposite of what you should feel when playing DayZ.

So, no.

Actually it doesn't make me or anyone else feel safe. It is a means to encourage co-op playing.

Even heroes can turn on you or set you up. Hell, I've done that many times in mod.

There would be guys pking and trying to troll folks on the server I played. You didn't lose humanity

for killing bandits so I'd hunt them down. You can have both your cake and eat it too with a hero/bandit system.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't something the majority would enjoy.