Sign in to follow this  
Arciere

Trying to find a server not ruined by bandits.

I've been on 6 different servers today and every server that I was on, the bandits were guarding any weapons worth getting or a group of 5 or more of them were roaming the shore. 

I haven't been able to find any decent loot to help me survive and when I finally do, a bandit comes out of nowhere and kills me. I know thats about half the point of the game. But nearly everyone is a bandit because well, lets be honest there aren't very many zombies to kill so after searching and finding good gear it gets boring. 

But it seems that every server I go on is full of bandits. If there is 20 people there are multiple groups who have an agreement. If there are 10 people, 6 or 7 are in one bandit group. The ratio between zombies in any given place is comparable to the ratio of bandits. 

Can anybody point me to an area that I could find decent loot without running into groups and groups of bandits? I know the game is an an alpha stage, but it isn't the bugs or lag in nearly every server thats ruining the game for me. It is how many bandits there are.

Where are you looking? At this stage, there are over 30 places to loot firearms on each map, with several loot spawns at each. It would be physically impossible for bandits to guard every single one. 

I'm going to guess that you're going to an airfield, Chern or Elektro.

Edited by MR DELICIOUS

Where are you looking? At this stage, there are over 30 places to loot firearms on each map, with several loot spawns at each. It would be physically impossible for bandits to guard every single one. 

I'm going to guess that you're going to an airfield, Chern or Elektro.

I don't know where else to find firearms. I got lucky and spawned by a military base in Elektro and found 3 pistols at once, but that is all. I've yet to run into another one and I've played 10+ hours and looked in all the place that I could, but not that it matters I don't usually have time to leave my spawn before getting shot down and having to relog on the server just to respawn. 

I've found plenty of axe's but those aren't exactly useful when someone is firing an assault rifle at you, just killing zombies, but most of the time I don't even see zombies because bandits roam those coastal towns so frequently that there are rarely any zombies on the east coast road.

I've been on 6 different servers today and every server that I was on, the bandits were guarding any weapons worth getting or a group of 5 or more of them were roaming the shore. 

I haven't been able to find any decent loot to help me survive and when I finally do, a bandit comes out of nowhere and kills me. I know thats about half the point of the game. But nearly everyone is a bandit because well, lets be honest there aren't very many zombies to kill so after searching and finding good gear it gets boring. 

But it seems that every server I go on is full of bandits. If there is 20 people there are multiple groups who have an agreement. If there are 10 people, 6 or 7 are in one bandit group. The ratio between zombies in any given place is comparable to the ratio of bandits. 

Can anybody point me to an area that I could find decent loot without running into groups and groups of bandits? I know the game is an an alpha stage, but it isn't the bugs or lag in nearly every server thats ruining the game for me. It is how many bandits there are.

If you're looking for some really friendly server you will have to wait private Hives feature to be release.

At this point, private admins will be able to set their own set of rules and ban people not playing them.

Until then, try to play sneaky or bring your mates into the game and play as a squad.

Dont expect some public friendly server, at this stage of the dev this won't happen. This is nothing else to do but to kill people.

Edited by DayzLegionnaire

If your worried about bandits don't go to military places. Military bases are not only killzones but they are also home to the elusive server hoppers. Also if you don't like bandit (and i assume since you don't like them so you won't be one) why would you need a gun? As you said there isn't a lot of zombies so having a gun is kinda pointless especially since zombies die from 1 swing of a fireaxe.

I don't know where else to find firearms.

Office buildings. Top floor, open room, behind the door. Almost always spawns weapons. I've got or seen an M4, multiple mosins, and .357s there. There are office buildings all over the map.

• Like 3

If you're looking some really friendly server you will have to wait private Hives feature to be release.

At this point, private admins will be able to set their own set of rules and ban people not playing them.

Until then, try to play sneaky or bring your mates into the game and play as a squad.

Dont expect some public friendly server, at this stage of the dev it wont happen. This is nothing else to do than kill people.

I do have a few friends with me, but every time I've ran into a bandit they've been fully outfitted. 4 of us with mediocre gear stand no chance against an assault rifle. I'm really not trying to complain, or talk smack about the game. I'm just trying to learn the game and not having too much luck because of it.

If your worried about bandits don't go to military places. Military bases are not only killzones but they are also home to the elusive server hoppers. Also if you don't like bandit (and i assume since you don't like them so you won't be one) why would you need a gun? As you said there isn't a lot of zombies so having a gun is kinda pointless especially since zombies die from 1 swing of a fireaxe.

Military bases aren't the only place bandits go. I rarely go to military bases unless I stumble upon them. MOST of the bandits I've seen were along the shore. Also, I'm aware that the fireaxe is super effective against zombies. But not so much against a bandit, also I don't mind Bandits. They are part of the game, but I'd like to be able to find a fire arm that could atleast up my survival chances.

Office buildings. Top floor, open room, behind the door. Almost always spawns weapons. I've got or seen an M4, multiple mosins, and .357s there. There are office buildings all over the map.

Thanks that's the best advice I've gotten so far. I don't know too many people who play DayZ besides the guys I play with and they are as clueless as me.

Edited by Arciere

fully outfitted still dies to 5-6 .45 rounds just like anyone else which means each of your friends (friends being plural have to assume at least 2) have to shoot him twice

Edited by Ynneead

Just keep trying man or fake it. You have any idea how many people I have held up with no ammo? More than when I did have ammo. Kinda makes it fun if you don't know they will call your bluff or not.

MOST of the bandits I've seen were along the shore

You're so close to the answer right here :)

• Like 3

They aren't guarding anything. They are looking for stuff just like you, they just have the capacity to kill you before you can get it.

Fire stations/schools/offices tend to be better places to look for weapons, mostly Mosin/pistols but it's a start.

• Like 1

Just keep trying man or fake it. You have any idea how many people I have held up with no ammo? More than when I did have ammo. Kinda makes it fun if you don't know they will call your bluff or not.

That was actually one of my plans, I just haven't had too much luck finding guns at all and the one time I did, for some reason my legs caved in. Lol 

I do have a few friends with me, but every time I've ran into a bandit they've been fully outfitted. 4 of us with mediocre gear stand no chance against an assault rifle. I'm really not trying to complain, or talk smack about the game. I'm just trying to learn the game and not having too much luck because of it.

Point of the squad is to be able to scan incoming threats easier.

More eyes scouting, that is.

Dayz is all about who see who first. This is the main problem when you start Dayz: being able to see incoming threats.

Actually, North West Airfield is the safest place to get some gear as most of bandits are roaming near spawn points.

You can use http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus to plan your trip to the north.

• Like 3

Try a low pop server.  If you're in or near Cherno, Elektro, Balota then expect there to be bandits.  If you just spawned on the shore on a high pop server expect there to be people killing you for no reason, including other people who just spawned.

Try a low pop server.  If you're in or near Cherno, Elektro, Balota then expect there to be bandits.  If you just spawned on the shore on a high pop server expect there to be people killing you for no reason, including other people who just spawned.

I know that, but even a lot of the small population servers have groups of bandits fully geared roaming the shores. I guess the solution I'm going to try is find a good ping low population server and go inland. 

Also, cities aren't as dangerous as they might seem - a LOT of it depends on how you approach areas. Run directly along the coast or on the major roads and you'll almost certainly be seen on the way in which can enable the bandits to send a kill squad to get you (they might even have lookouts on separate servers able to send a call for people to log in on you) or immediately engage if they're all within range already.

Get into the treeline, possibly change direction once you're in there so that no-one who saw you enter could know which way you were headed and try to stay deep enough that you can't be easily spotted but can still navigate using roads/power lines etc (also remember to note the sun/moon location with respect to your intended destination cuz it's easy to get disorientated).

Once you reach your destination, work out how you're gonna get from the treeline to the buildings. At this stage if you're in a group, send one guy ahead whilst the rest of you watch potential sniper locations, he'll have an easier job noticing enemies within the city before he's spotted himself and also can take cover if fired upon whilst you flank a sniper and melee him with your axe - also the others can spot potentially unseen hostiles approaching your pointman (whilst he's out of LOS from them himself)

The solo guy should progress through as much cover (also use dips in terrain to minimise the areas you can be seen in) as possible, pausing and surveying ahead regularly (really easy with third person view, but peek around corners or from out of foliage/over fences in first person). Cross any large open areas in a fairly direct zig zag run (use the mouse to zigzag rather than a/d since it's less predictable). For each stage of movement, he should have a clear destination in mind where he has good cover available.

Advance the rest of your group gradually behind him. Lots of nooby groups run around 2-3 in a nice short line which makes advancing through cover pointless, since one of them is always in front/behind the piece of cover whilst the others are in it...so anyone scanning a wide area will easily see movement and focus on it, thus seeing the whole group when they emerge from cover.

Motion out of cover is what will get you seen 9/10 times. (1/10 will be stumbling on someone else rounding a corner at the same time as you)

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by phlOgistOn
  • Like 3

Also, cities aren't as dangerous as they might seem - a LOT of it depends on how you approach areas. Run directly along the coast or on the major roads and you'll almost certainly be seen on the way in which can enable the bandits to send a kill squad to get you (they might even have lookouts on separate servers able to send a call for people to log in on you) or immediately engage if they're all within range already.

Well...it depends.  For the most part avoiding direct routes, roads, intersections and the shore is good advice but to be honest I actually ran straight through Elektro on a full server running down the coast the entire way.  Other players were all over the city but I don't think a whole lot were on the lookout for anyone skimming the coastline and bypassing the city almost entirely.

use cover. rather circle large open fields along treelines than cross them in plain sight. duck into foliage and scan the surroundings regularly. listen intensly.

generally, i would advise to get off the coast. the small settlements like mcta, staroye, polana will have you outfitted with axe, maybe a mosin, a backpack, clothes and backpack plus food and drink as much you can carry. then you can plan approaching military installations if you want to raise the bar

• Like 1

Also - they've redone the cities up north and added quite a few lootable areas. I've played on full pop servers and run across the north of the map west to east and back and saw no one. Well, except for the guy who killed me leaving NEAF. :-p

Seriously, there is a lot of loot to be had, and NEAF is a good one to approach because of sight lines (I was being careless when I got whacked). Someone will likely be watching on higher pop servers, but if you use the advice above and go in with good team strategy ... fun times. Just make sure you don't run in a straight line - bob and weave, bob and weave. There are some good shots with mosins, but it'll be tough to hit a moving, bobbing and weaving target from any significant distance. Never sit still in a field where people might be lurking. That's everywhere, pretty much.

Sometimes even just having axes can be enough..

At one point a friend and I were looting Berezino, all we had been able to find were a couple of fire axes and some food. We had noticed that there was a guy with a Mosin skulking around in the hospital so we decided to loot the buildings near by and wait for him to leave.

We had split up to search the two pubs that are on the main street running through town when I bumped into our Mosin friend in the middle of the street. I announced to him that I was friendly and asked him if he needed any food, his response was to try and shoot me. I kept moving around trying to keep his focus on one direction while my friend came up behind him with his axe...We got a shiny new Mosin.  ;)

• Like 1

I don't know where else to find firearms. I got lucky and spawned by a military base in Elektro and found 3 pistols at once, but that is all. I've yet to run into another one and I've played 10+ hours and looked in all the place that I could, but not that it matters I don't usually have time to leave my spawn before getting shot down and having to relog on the server just to respawn. 

I've found plenty of axe's but those aren't exactly useful when someone is firing an assault rifle at you, just killing zombies, but most of the time I don't even see zombies because bandits roam those coastal towns so frequently that there are rarely any zombies on the east coast road.

I suggest either ruining the joy of exploration and googling a Chernarus+ loot map, or going for an explore to any of the numerous military bases around the Western side of the map. Similarly, the giant tanker up north of Berezino is also a military spawn.

You can also find guns in long feeding sheds and cars parked around. Try running past Elektro to the military camp, Balota airfield, then north to the military camp, then north again to Zelenogorsk (two barracks and a jail), then to Green mountain (a jail), then to Vyborg (another military camp). That should give you enough military gear.

80% of the people who camp the shores are idiots who can't hold up a fire fight. So they wait for unarmed players for the easy kill.

Spray some bullets in their general direction and they'll DC.

But, yeah. I suggest going to Berezino, to be honest. It's really worth it.

But, yeah. I suggest going to Berezino, to be honest. It's really worth it.

Berezino and Zelenogorsk both seem to be very underrated. They're both relatively safe and have some very good gear.

Well...it depends.  For the most part avoiding direct routes, roads, intersections and the shore is good advice but to be honest I actually ran straight through Elektro on a full server running down the coast the entire way.  Other players were all over the city but I don't think a whole lot were on the lookout for anyone skimming the coastline and bypassing the city almost entirely.

True and if you're a player that  knows where to look in each town (or even just recognise the major loot buildings by their silhouette), you can run in, loot and get out quickly/safely... as a freshspawn at least. If you're geared up or new to the game, it's probably best to be a bit more cautious :)