Murakamo

DayZ is NOT fun for new players, which makes me worried.

DAYZS' whole attitude and why I love her:

If you can find your friend, you can play together. If not, fuck you.

Don't take it personally, SA is a dirty whore.

• Like 1

i never played any arma 2 or the day z mod itself, i came in new in day z and im having a lot of fun, fully geard,nothing bored and even less frustrating (well the couple of leadder glitches and game breakin bugs) and note that i dont have any friends playing this game, took me a day  at the start to know exactly where i spawned and head to where i want to, your friend just fucking sucks or its not into this type of game.

When i made some friends off a community, it took us 10 minutes to find each other, stop exaggerating, dont add any shitty features for "new players" just because they are too lazy to use theyr brain

I can only say it again.. DONT YOU DARE to add some "new player" help shit. Never dumb it down. I say..make it HARDER to find GOOD food. As of now i need 30 mins to get to "healthy" with not much effort whatsoever.

I cant bend my mind around how people can struggle with such basic gameplay things. They are so damm obvious you must be...

gah. I stop right here or i rant.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

well i guess when i bought this game and the mod based on the fact it was labeled a zombie survival game and its not means i can sue rocket for false advertising RIGHT......

but wait this is not supposed to be a pvp game....its supposed to be zombie survival game but has nothing like it in the game.....also its not a sandbox either(more false advertising if your right and its just pure pvp)

sandbox games are games like

-----------------------------------------

minecraft

7 days to die

terraria

garys mod

DAYZ IS NOT A SANDBOX ITS NOT ZOMBIE SURVIVAL..its pure pvp then and that means rocket is falsely advertising the game if all you pvp people are right and the main point of the game is pvp... 

AlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpherAlpher

in case it hasn't been mentioned yet: DayZ is not for everyone, its meant to be harsh and unfogiving. Oh wait, you knew that much already?

seriously though - one of the main attractions of DayZ is that it does not hold your hand, that it does not gate content according to player level, that it is painful and frustrating if you're out of luck. all this makes those times when you succeed so much more rewarding.

and the standalone in its current state is extremely easy in comparison to what it is expected to be, for obvious reasons:

- loot is over-abundant

- zombies infected are more scenery than threat, and extremely few in numbers

- threatening conditions like infections, sickness, hypothermia have no effect so far

etc.

the game currently is set to difficulty level "ouch!" fire is hot?". i expect it to be set to difficulty level "Welcome back, Chuck Norris" when it releases.

edit: the game is a sandbox, as you have not a set mission/plot but are free to roam in an open world and do as you wish. open world pvp and sandbox are not exclusive terms. maybe you confuse "sandbox" with "crafting" or "building", as the games you list have a strong focus on that.. GTA as one of the most notable sandbox examples doesnt have crafting or building either..

Thank you, you took the words out of my mouth :P

I got my brother into it, he hasn't played the mod. He thinks it's fun.

Argument disproved.

Edited by Sencha

I know people who will simply drop something that they cannot solve in about 15 minutes, they are very frustrating to game with.

So did you install the steam games?

• Nah, i found my login but then it asked me for a code and i got pissed.
  • Like 5

I didn't play the mod.  Heard about it, did my research and decided to wait for the standalone.

Thus far I'm having a blast.  My other buddies who are also new are too.  We've met up, which was an adventure in itself.

DayZ is not a game for everyone.  Only those who truly appreciate the hardcore nature of DayZ will play it for a long time.  But it's the game I've been looking for my entire life.  I love it :)

Exactly what he said. Never played the mod, jumped right into it, got the system and west side of the map down in less then a day. Trying to find where my friends spawned is a hard thing. It's a difficult game, and if you friend took maybe 2 minutes to look at his surroundings and use the handy dandy online map, or simply googling DayZ Standalone map, he would be able to find where he was. Think about it, 6 months after an apocalypse you wont know where your friend is unless you were with him at some point. It's a realistic anti-game and I find this part challenging and useful. Not trying to be rude, but sometimes things have to be said. 

• Like 1

I know people who will simply drop something that they cannot solve in about 15 minutes, they are very frustrating to game with.

lol, sad truth is sad. i know the feels.

I have played DayZ since the mod came out. I love it and I have bought the alpha, which is not bad.

[..]

=============

Something needs to be done to allow experienced players like myself to assist new people who I am trying to introduce this game to. This game is extremely punishing, but also extremely rewarding. I need a good chance to show my friend the rewarding side of this game and so far, I have had none.

I would like to discuss this with my fellow DayZ players.

No, no, no...no and 10000 no!

1) If your friend was not instantly hooked the second he spawned, the very core concept of DayZ is lost on him.

2) If your friend was frustrated by what he didn't know, instead of being intrigued by the unknown and unfamiliar, wrong game.

3) If your first instinct was to try and "meet" with a friend, once again, the very idea of DayZ is lost here.

You cannot be rewarded for success if you cannot be punished for failure.

DayZ is NOT for everyone and I have no judgement in saying this. There is nothing wrong with someone finding the game COMPLETELY boring and pointless. It's not the game's fault, it's not the player's fault. However, I don't think it is not the role of the game to change that...

well i guess when i bought this game and the mod based on the fact it was labeled a zombie survival game and its not means i can sue rocket for false advertising RIGHT......

but wait this is not supposed to be a pvp game....its supposed to be zombie survival game but has nothing like it in the game.....also its not a sandbox either(more false advertising if your right and its just pure pvp)

Rocket DID tell you to NOT buy the game yet. He point blank STATED that unless you were ready to eat shit, die, then come back and eat more shit until you died again, you should NOT buy the game yet. It was written in very clear language on the steam page. There is a huge "IMPORTANT" notice when you start up the game.

There was also almost NO advertising whatsoever anywhere, just some streams here and there with vague Q/As. The concepts in DayZ are so "epidermic" that it never needed any advertising, it just...exploded organically.

Now, my advice, shut down the game, uninstall it right now and come back in 2015, check if the game is still in Alpha, Beta or release state, then if in release state, install it again and give it a go. That'll be the game you paid for. If you don't like it, well, there are plenty of games I wished I never bought, but that's another matter :)

Edited by Mutonizer
  • Like 4

So, after spending about 1.5 hours running in different directions and around in circles, we finally meet each other. We briefly enjoyed about 30 seconds of reunion before a bandit came out of a house and shot both of us.

Sorry, I was bored.

My little brother is one of these people.... They make me cry and loose all hope. :(

But well put, I can literally hear the conversation in my head :P

there have to be a solution made for this!

you have my beans

It has been a long time since I started playing Arma2 and then later the original DayZ mod for it.  I remember how hard it was to learn to navigate and recognize landmarks and direction, finding North based on the shadows and time of day etc., and I have experience doing this in real life.

Keep helping your friend, it is a definite learning curve and once he gets some of the basics it gets much easier.

Bottom line for the time being since most servers reset to dawn quite often, your shadow pretty much points straight North.  If you know the time of day and the direction of your shadow you can navigate anywhere using the map in game or even the 3rd party maps.  Learn to run to towns and check the streetsigns until you know the names of the towns/villages.  Then get a bearing on your location by the signs, align to North and then pick a direction to move in and stick with it.  Make sure to use a distant landmark...so if you are standing ready to turn and run West until you come across a well 10 minutes away and you need to go in a straight line, find a distant landmark along that line and head to that, don't assume you will run in a straight line (every tree or rock you dodge changes your line).

If he can get that basic navigation the it's only a matter of time until it gets easier.  THis is what makes the game fun, it takes time to learn how to play and there are no artificial game mechanics that make it easier for you.  He has to learn like the rest of us.

If he can get that basic navigation the it's only a matter of time until it gets easier.  THis is what makes the game fun, it takes time to learn how to play and there are no artificial game mechanics that make it easier for you.  He has to learn like the rest of us.

To learn anything tough, you need the "will" to learn, experience new things, make mistakes and learn from them, etc...

From what the OP described, there was no interest in learning anything whatsoever and instead, instant frustration. That's why I don't think it' a game suited for his tastes.

Edited by Mutonizer
  • Like 1

I never played the mod before and I was able to adapt to Day Z SA just fine, I even managed to kill a group of 3 on my own. I can assure you it's not the game, what the game requires you to have is geographic competence and being able to memorize key spots/places of preference. The game has still a lot to be added, but if I get easily frustrated by games and stop playing them for such, everyone should be able as well. There're tons of newbie videos on youtube and plentiful of maps on google, just read a town sign, look it up on google, go to a military base and bam!

To OP. You are correct. I love these ppl who could be summed up as 'too bad suck it up' would be the same people crying if servers get shut down due to low traffic. A game in this market is growing or dying. Give us players the ability to assist friends into the zombie apocalypse. Not everyone is hardy as the ones that blaze the trail but thats okay we need varity as it makes interaction more interesting vs everyone being the same gungho types as we all are.

I have played DayZ since the mod came out. I love it and I have bought the alpha, which is not bad.

Today, I bought the alpha for a friend of mine who has never played the game and the experience for him was in a nutshell, boring and frustrating.

I played the game with him to try and teach him how the game worked. If you are new and have no clue what's happening, then clearly the game will be frustrating. That's why I wanted to meet him in game to help him out.

The only problem? Meeting up with him was a complete disaster. He obviously had no clue where he was and his surroundings he described only slightly assisted me.

It's not like the mod where it tells you where you are when you log in or spawn. We are just left smack bang in the middle of nowhere.

You should have told your friend how to get his bearings first.  The easiest way is to head towards the nearest town and follow the road until you see signs with the town name on the town limits.  Of course, he should be aware of the danger of other players and zombies, zombies being minimal (just run).

The DayZ mod is not easy (except for those noob private hives with all vehicles/weapons/etc) and DayZ sure as hell didn't hurt Arma 2/OA sales.  In fact it was pretty much single-handedly responsible for a massive resurgence in Arma 2/OA sales.  DayZ being "too hard" isn't going to hurt DayZ sales.  DayZ being turned into some massive carebear fest would hurt DayZ sales.

People that just got DayZ because of the hype, will very quickly discover DayZ is not your typical carebear twitch shooter that powders your bum and tells you, you're mommy's special boy.

To OP. You are correct. I love these ppl who could be summed up as 'too bad suck it up' would be the same people crying if servers get shut down due to low traffic. A game in this market is growing or dying. Give us players the ability to assist friends into the zombie apocalypse. Not everyone is hardy as the ones that blaze the trail but thats okay we need varity as it makes interaction more interesting vs everyone being the same gungho types as we all are.

Guess that's why I can still play 10-15 years old MMOs.

On top of that, I'm pretty sure that the 800k+ sales in two weeks make it so they don't really have to give a damn now if some people are slightly "frustrated" :)

I'm trying to get my BF4 clan into the game, but I won't let them play SA yet lol.  I'll let them start on Epoch mod or vanilla dayz first.

OP the needs of your friend shouldn't have any influence over game design. It is up to you to teach him whatever it is you know and up to him to decide if he can handle the learning curve. Don't bring me, the rest of the community and the game into it. 

Nah, just came from behind, while he was shooting from a window. He got fucked.

Kudos to you then.

Pro-tip:  The only games that have a hard time with the mainstream market being uninterested are the ones trying to cater to the mainstream market.  Considering sales are FAR beyond expectations, then it's probably in the dev's best interest to continue on with the plans they have, rather than trying to appease a couple of mouth breathers that can't figure the game out.

The more mainstream you make a niche title, the more you lose the playerbase that will actually stick around more than a month.  See Eve Online as an example of a title that says, "Too bad.  Suck it up."

• Like 1

Guess that's why I can still play 10-15 years old MMOs.

On top of that, I'm pretty sure that the 800k+ sales in two weeks make it so they don't really have to give a damn now if some people are slightly "frustrated" :)

800k in sales is prob barely covers payroll n R&D.

Kudos to you then.

Pro-tip: The only games that have a hard time with the mainstream market being uninterested are the ones trying to cater to the mainstream market. Considering sales are FAR beyond expectations, then it's probably in the dev's best interest to continue on with the plans they have, rather than trying to appease a couple of mouth breathers that can't figure the game out.

The more mainstream you make a niche title, the more you lose the playerbase that will actually stick around more than a month. See Eve Online as an example of a title that says, "Too bad. Suck it up."

And yet the games that have the most success and have the capital to reinvest in their products are indeed the ones who are able to distill out frustrating features while leaving in challenging ones. Edited by JohnM81

Good lord, tried to help one of my friends get into the game last week.

It took him 30 minutes to find a road sign whilst in the middle of a god damn town. Once we tell him which side to put the coast on and start running to meet us, he starts randomly giving us status updates of his surrounding (road, hills, trees, small village, 95% of the map) after we reach where he started with him nowhere to be found it turns out he went the wrong DAMN WAY. So we tell him to stop moving and we'll come get him. Once we finally get there, we give him a can of food and a bottle of water and go north.

HE GETS LOST 5 BLOODY TIMES BEFORE WE REACH STARRY. WHILE IN THE MIDDLE OF 4 OTHER PEOPLE THE WHOLE TIME.

And the end of the night I faked an engagement so I could empty as many rounds of Mosin ammo as I conceivably could into him just to vent my rage and frustration

• Like 2

Well, maybe your friend just sucks at describing and is not the kind of guy for dayz? DayZ is not for everyone. And that's good because we don't want all the kiddies here. DayZ is supposed to be harsh and unforgiving.

I think : The harder the better.

certainly NOT!

If the new players don't like DayZ, well sucks for them, there are plenty of other games out there.

Bottom line : If you don't like DayZ being though, GTFO.

EDIT: Oh, and if you don't like being shot, watch your surroundings.

This man ^ is correct.

Have my beans.

• Like 2