Sign in to follow this  
Zedicologist

2nd copy of dayZ?

If i buy a second copy of Dayz for my alt steam account,  will i have the same character or will it be different?

I ask this cause my character has been in the middle of the ocean for ab 11 days now without being able to die.

Nothing works for resetting it so i give up on that atm.  Considering that this wont be fixed for awhile because ive only seen ab 5 other posts like mine.  

But anyways if you guys could answer my question that would be great.

Cheers.

You will have a different character. Every character is bound to your steam key/account, so buying it on another account will get you a new one. But if it is stuck in the middle of the ocean, can't you talk to a server admin and make him kill you? or is that only possible in the mod?

have you tried jumping around a few servers, theres a lot out there that will start you fresh. Something to do with maintaining connection to the hive.  Might  save you buying another copy.

I hear rumour ;)

if you change steam account name you get new character :D

when you changing back to original name old character still exist :thumbsup:  :)

so is possible have multiples character

but I never try so is not for sure this one is true  :huh:

edit - also if true this for sure they make fix soon :|

Edited by KoS

11 days? What? There's been at least one global character reset since then hasn't there? Also, you can keep the character logged in for a few hours while you do something else to die..
Buying a new key seems a bit excessive.

Trust me guys, anything you suggest i have tried.  And no i cannot die from starvation or hunger for some reason.  Pretty sure the admin cant kill you in SA atm.  Theres no way to actually reach him anyways, since there is no global chat atm

11 days? What? There's been at least one global character reset since then hasn't there? Also, you can keep the character logged in for a few hours while you do something else to die..

Buying a new key seems a bit excessive.

Well once they get it fixed,  i will just give one of my buddies my alt steam account, so he can play Dayz.  Since he cant really afford to buy a copy atm.  So it will work out for both of us i guess.

I wonder how many others are stuck, seems a bit unfair that you should need to buy a new key. Maybe this is a good sale thread for unlocking the respawn button.....just while things are unstable. I mean isnt locking it a gameplay feature....to stop people doing it for desiese and stuff. We can live without gameplay features at this stage. Especialy if it means people are having to resort to such extreme measures. :(

Go to your game in steam open properties then the betas tab and opt into the development build when you log into a development buid server you will have a fresh spawn ...

Go to your game in steam open properties then the betas tab and opt into the development build when you log into a development buid server you will have a fresh spawn ...

Yes i have been doing this,  But as of today, it is using my old character instead of giving me a new character.  Also i live in America and those servers are european i think and the ping is horrible for me.  

do you then not get a fresh character when you then deselect the development build do ya little download to be back on the stable normal build cause thats exactly how i got out of a similar predicament ( was stuck in wall but would not starve or dehydrate.

But hey ya not willing to try and you say getting a second copy will benefit your friend so why not just do it (id call that more money than sense but what do i know right lol )

do you then not get a fresh character when you then deselect the development build do ya little download to be back on the stable normal build cause thats exactly how i got out of a similar predicament ( was stuck in wall but would not starve or dehydrate.

But hey ya not willing to try and you say getting a second copy will benefit your friend so why not just do it (id call that more money than sense but what do i know right lol )

Dude im not trying to be dick here.  If you have any clue how many different things ive tried in the last 11 days.  Every day when i get off work i make a new post on various different sites trying to get some other advice.  As of now, ive given up on that.  Since i played the mod so damn much o more than willing to buy a second copy.  But since you know what ive personally ttried the last couple of days, congrats on that lol.  

Im sorry if that didnt work for you cause it worked for me mate as for the dick part the first thing ya said was those servers are european i get bad ping (when i never suggested you stay playing there just to get a new character) which kinda sounded like you never even tried it at all but you say you have and that didnt work you say you have tried contacting server admins (there is no global chat etc etc ) well many servers post up there ts3 server info to contact them perhaps try logging into one of those.

11 days of trying and you want help how about you actually post everything you have tried might save time of people making suggestions you have tried( although honestly i dont believe alot of your original story based on some of your replies could be wrong you might just be acting like a dick cause your frustrated???

Ps your actual question was answered if you buy another copy on an alt steam account it will give new character people just tried to save ya 30 bucks more fool us for trying aye mate just spend another 30 and keep on rolling if ya feel thats your only recourse......

Guess you already tried the new 1st person servers to reset it?

EDIT - Meh seprate hive ....forgot about that sry.

Edited by Karmaterror

Guess you already tried the new 1st person servers to reset it?

EDIT - Meh seprate hive ....forgot about that sry.

Hicks tweeted that the FP servers will have seperate hives but atm it seems that it is not working.