Sign in to follow this  
Baroni88

PC purchase

Raptor is confirming that the setup I made for you runs this game just fine, as they're pretty identical, apart from his processor being slightly faster.

Sonicrainbrony is only proposing a change to the PSU, which is sadly not an option because the GTX 770 wouldn't run too well on a 500 watt PSU.

Dchil proposed going for an i5 instead of an i7. Truth is, you're gonna pump money into this. Might as well pay a TAD bit more and get an i7. Even if it isn't gonna make a lot of difference for this game, it's not like you'll only ever be playing DayZ on it.

Daze23 recommends going for a different brand of PSU, for quality's sake. Which is a valid remark. So instead of taking the PSU I listed before, you could get this one instead. Your call. This one is more expensive, but is pretty much guaranteed to be of high quality.

Do you have an old computer case you can reuse? And a HDD?

Raptor is confirming that the setup I made for you runs this game just fine, as they're pretty identical, apart from his processor being slightly faster.

Sonicrainbrony is only proposing a change to the PSU, which is sadly not an option because the GTX 770 wouldn't run too well on a 500 watt PSU.

Dchil proposed going for an i5 instead of an i7. Truth is, you're gonna pump money into this. Might as well pay a TAD bit more and get an i7. Even if it isn't gonna make a lot of difference for this game, it's not like you'll only ever be playing DayZ on it.

Daze23 recommends going for a different brand of PSU, for quality's sake. Which is a valid remark. So instead of taking the PSU I listed before, you could get this one instead. Your call. This one is more expensive, but is pretty much guaranteed to be of high quality.

Do you have an old computer case you can reuse? And a HDD?

It'd run just fine on a 500W PSU. I could go on about how the GPU itself could not draw more than 300W max even if overclocked and how Haswell, unless seriously OC'd isn't gonna draw that 200W. Oh wait, I just did anyway. And if you didn't notice, i7's are considerably more expensive than i5's, and i5's just really, really aren't for gaming. An i5 would do him just fine. My comments might seem really negative, but just to clear things out, I have personally nothing against you, and I do agree with some of your suggestions on the setup, like the 770.

An already put together PC is a waste of money to be honest. You might as well wait for the Steambox to come out. If you really want a PC though, just watch some tutorials on how to build a PC, it really isn't hard.

EDIT: If you want any guidelines to tutorials, or just straight out help with things, just PM me.

11766804913_ded3a59939_o.jpg

It'd run just fine on a 500W PSU. I could go on about how the GPU itself could not draw more than 300W max even if overclocked and how Haswell, unless seriously OC'd isn't gonna draw that 200W. Oh wait, I just did anyway. And if you didn't notice, i7's are considerably more expensive than i5's, and i5's just really, really aren't for gaming. An i5 would do him just fine. My comments might seem really negative, but just to clear things out, I have personally nothing against you, and I do agree with some of your suggestions on the setup, like the 770.

It's always best to be a bit above the required wattage, and leave a bit of headroom for possible future upgrades.

And CIV5, Supreme Commander. If you have multiple applications running at the same time it's nice. Like my MC server I've got locked to Core 6 and 7 atm.

Look, I stated it was just trying to get some examples out there to get the discussion started, hoping others would perfectionalise the list. So yes, an i5 will spare him $120, thanks for contributing. It's a valid alternative.

I have personally have gotten a lot of use out of my extra threads so far, so I'll stay by my point. Choice is his. He seems to have left the topic, anyway. =l

I don't have any case, hardrive or anything. Starting from nothing. Can someone give me a build to use that could put my under $1000

Otherwise I was going to go with a Vanquish level 3. Which would be just over $1000

Specs:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula (Or go for the IV Formula)

Corsair Memory HX850

Cooler Master HAF X

8GB (4GBx2 DDR3)

AMD FX 8150

Graphics card of your choice, use HWCompare to find a card you like.

I don't have any case, hardrive or anything. Starting from nothing. Can someone give me a build to use that could put my under $1000

Hi pal you can try this build. Never mind the links, the HW is best you can get for the money. If you don't know how to put it together bring it to nearest PC shop and they can do it for you.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/159342-will-this-work-as-a-general-gaming-pc/page-2#entry1601357

Specs:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula (Or go for the IV Formula)

Corsair Memory HX850

Cooler Master HAF X

8GB (4GBx2 DDR3)

AMD FX 8150

Graphics card of your choice, use HWCompare to find a card you like.

That would be quite nice build but there's no reason whatsoever to buy as expensive motherboard as is the formula / ROG gear. Useless.

Edited by Colonel-Wicked

Swap motherboards for a cheaper set, I like the Formula's on board equipment such as audio, BUS speeds etc.

This is spec'd from my own build with a few things taken out for price reasons.

However I would recommend an ASUS brand motherboard.

Don't buy ASRock unless you want exploding parts... (Joking, but still crap brand)

an already put together PC from the big guys is a waste...like alienware, bestbuy, etc.

HOWEVER

canadacomputers, tigerdirect, those types of companies offer "bare bones" builds which are cheap and basic and not bloated with shite hardware or software.

try buiying a barebones system and have the tech department add a thing or two.

best price/quality compromise.

or ideally buy the barebones kit and just slap the bits together your self...some barebones come pre assembled...

if your UK or euro im sure you can find a similar supplier

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=4910&name=Intel-Core-i5-Barebone-PC&Nav=|c:333|&Sort=3&Recs=10

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=4149&name=Intel-Core-i7-Barebone-PC&Nav=|c:333|&Sort=3&Recs=10

check the kits, not the mini pc's

Edited by deebz1234

As already said, don't skimp on the PSU - it's the only part that could melt the rest of your rig (and it should outlast all the other case components and be with you a long while). Get a known brand and get a gold rating for the wattage your gonna need.

Consider what might be the first thing you replace in the future, forward compatibility etc... spending a decent amount on the case, PSU and monitor which will be with you 5-10+ years down the line is definitely worthwhile as opposed to rinsing your budget on a CPU, GPU or sticks of RAM that you might upgrade in 1-2 years anyways.

Yeah Im saving up for a new one, currently I lag every step I take and I cant fight zombies. Still managed to get some gear though  :thumbsup:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :emptycan:  :beans:  :thumbsup:

Edited by Negan

www.ibuypower.com

Build your machine to your spec.  They put it together, test it, and send it to you :)

I love my ibuypower PC.

Just go to

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

best PC buying guide for all price ranges you'll ever get. 

Very nice link, have some beans

Only thing it's missing is the luvverly minimalist looking R4 Fractal Design cases ;)

Edited by phlOgistOn

Hey man if your still looking for a PC build, I reference this website often when I have a friend that wants a quick overview on costs.

http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-gaming-pc-radeon-r9-geforce-gtx-780-ti-november-2013/

This will dump you in the mainstream ($850-$1850) lineup that he has listed. It's flexible with Tiers of performance. The author keeps the website fairly updated and goes for best bang for your buck style. Since you said around a $1000 budget, the Tier 4 (Green) would be around what your looking for. You could scratch off the audio card ($37) and swap out the SSD ($99) for a HDD with a bigger capacity for $40 less. Although I'm not a huge fan of Seagate drives, I would pick up a Western Digital Black Cavier (better internals, longer warranty, etc.) compared to a blue or "entry level" Western Digital drive. The case is entirely up to you, it's a design preference. Go with what looks "cool" to you. Just make sure your not picking up something like a micro-ATX case for a full ATX mobo. ;)

Like others have said, NEVER skimp on the power supply. It's the heart of your PC persay. If your PSU craps out and frys half of the internal components you got one heavy paper weight. :D

Good luck to you! Building a computer for the first time is quite an experience and in time you'll look at manufactured PC's with disgust. B)

Edited by laodnig

By the way, thank you to everyone for their help with this. I really appreciate all the suggestions. Yeah, being my first-time dealing with gaming PC, I've become really cautious about what to buy and which information to trust. I guess it all comes with experience.

• Like 1

Ok, also on my link above:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Winter_Gaming_AMD_Eight_Core

.... Is there anything else I need with that rig? I'm planning on hooking it up to a 47" Vizio TV and use a wireless keyboard and mouse with a wireless router. Will that set up work?

Everything seems fine. If you have enough cash I'd recommend going for an SSD as well as the HD.

SSD for System, HDD for Storage.

You can also put the user profile on the HDD by tweaking the registry so My Documents, Desktop and all that is stored on the HDD, SSD for system files only for best performance.

Throw DayZ on it too and it will increase speeds.