Sign in to follow this  
Flight96

My opinion on Killing on sight...

Every person is always a danger. Killing anyone you meet and don't know is always the best survival strategy. 

People are much more dangerous than zombies, its why its so important to kill them all. 

Why wouldn't it be smarter to knock a player unconscious, strip him of his gear, break his legs, feed him some rotten food and then leave him. Essentially putting him in a worse position than a fresh spawn, but still not killing him. Potentially giving you more time before they could return with gear. It's better to have a weak player in your server than a fresh one. Or worse, if they quit due to dying and somebody with full gear fills their slot. It is a game after all.

What I'm saying is, you shouldn't focus on roaming the map and hunting for people and this is your only reason for playing DayZ, you should focus on the zombie apocalypse and surviving it, and then killing people to survive. This unfortunately can't work at this stage of alpha since there is no zombie apocalypse at all, it will get better later I believe

Surviving it means not dying. It doesn't mean anything else. 

"The zombie apocalypse" is starting out with a flashlight, and having zombies around. 

If it was just that, the game would be a pile of crap. 

What makes it special is that just like in an anarchy in real life, you've got the singificantly bigger problem of competing with other people who also want to survive. 

If each person always acted friendly, and everyone always cooperated, everyone would have the best outcome. 

But if you have this disposition and you meet someone who doesn't, you have the worse outcome and he has a good one. 

That's the game right there. It's people. 

• Like 1

Why wouldn't it be smarter to knock a player unconscious, strip him of his gear, break his legs, feed him some rotten food and then leave him. Essentially putting him in a worse position than a fresh spawn, but still not killing him. Potentially giving you more time before they could return with gear. It's better to have a weak player in your server than a fresh one. Or worse, if they quit due to dying and somebody with full gear fills their slot. It is a game after all.

Depends on quite a few things. It takes a while to do all that, and you're exposed. Also, it's unclear if you can actually break people's legs. 

There might be a few rare cases where it was safe to do all that. For all the other cases, just shoot and move on. 

I didn't read your post. But I saw a guy on the top of the fire station today. 

And then this....

11766989605_afd76a58a9_o.jpgI am still not sorry. Welcome to DayZ mother fuckers. Keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times, the ride may abruptly be over at any moment. 

Edited by wolfsburg62

Shit happens.

Me and my Bud were just now fully kitted out. Had extra pistols and a bunch of water and food. We were headed to Cherno to help fresh spawns when we got jumped and KOS. Ni warning. No hold up. Didn't even try to rob us. Just killed us.

Oh well. We made plans to do it again. Be more careful this time. You win some you lose some. We just lost. Next time. We might save a new spawn and count it as a win.

Is it just more or did at least some others get this game with the same outlook?

I think people over think this KOS.  Here has been my interactions with people so far:

Bandaged some player who got clocked by a zombie in exchange for some bullets. (exchanged the bullets for bandages, not a zombie beating)

Ran into the Electro church surprising two heavily armed players who then panicked and shot me.

Surprised a player in a Balota barracks.  Wounded him with an ax.  Then finished him off when he screamed homophobic remarks at me.

Unarmed player tried to punch me to death on the coast road.  Gave him some face time with Sweet Lady Wrench.

Couple of players took a pot shot at me in the new harbor town north east of Osha.  Caught them coming out of the town and lit them up with my M4.

Mosin wielding player and I surprised each other.  After looking at each other for a moment, ended up in a gunfight,  I won.

Ran up to a player and proceeded to take off my pants and threatened to rape him.  He shot me.

Couple of "hey whats up" to new spawns on the coast.

That's about what I would expect.  I don't need constant hugs, but not everyone was KoSing me either.

Edited by bfisher

The no pants and threat to rape me would have made me die of laughing. Probably would have given you my pants first though.

Lol. Thanks for the laugh.

Depends on quite a few things. It takes a while to do all that, and you're exposed. Also, it's unclear if you can actually break people's legs. 

There might be a few rare cases where it was safe to do all that. For all the other cases, just shoot and move on. 

The game goes to great lengths trying to encourage not killing each other, yet some people still choose the easiest way out. They are too comfortable being cowards. They will avoid a risky situation at all costs, even if it means a worse outcome. I feel like the fear of "losing" at DayZ prevents a lot of people from experiencing all that this game has to offer. But, the reality is nobody wins at this game, we all die sooner or later. What really makes DayZ special, at least for me, is the risky situations I get myself into, the times things get out of my control for a bit and my heart starts beating a littler faster. I have to make the best of it and pull myself out.

When you're out to kill people. The world is going to look hostile to you. That's not to say a friendly player will see no hostility. But, it's amazing how much people don't want to chase down someone and kill them for no reason. They'll kill someone if it's convenient. But, if their prey starts running, mission accomplished, watch that area, make sure he doesn't return, but no need to track & chase some nobody that shits dangerous. On the other hand, hunting players pits you up against the players you come into contact with. If your first instinct is to kill them, you will inevitably put yourself in much greater danger. Real dangers as well, not just psychological dangers like someone fleeing from a dangerous situation faces. They're scared of the unknown... is he still chasing me? While somebody engaged in a firefight is rightfully scared for their life, either that or they feel nothing anymore because they've desensitized themselves to the violence in this video game.

It's kind of a catch 22. I want to put myself in danger to feel these emotions. But, killing people on sight I feel would limit my experiences to only one type of situation, that I've already explored in not only the arma/dayz series, but lots of other games. I have no doubt killing on sight would keep my characters alive longer and put me in more threatening positions where I could use my "skill" to kill my attackers and feel good about pulling myself out of that situation. The problem with that is, it's like jerking off instead of getting laid. There's no surprise, there's no unknown, it feels all safe and routine.

Now, lets just say the primary goal of KoSers is to of course..KoS. But let's look at exactly why they KoS. If you look past the mindless killers and the players that just want to watch the world burn your left with people that are potentially starving, have no problems with being alone OR (My primary point) already HAVE friends to play with. Yes, people not looking to meet new people and have plenty of people they legitimately trust to play with are categorized as KoSers. Even though they are simply using the same kill or be killed, on edge, zombie apocalypse mentality that you would expect.

Top 4 reasons for a KoS, ordered by percentage.

Sadism - 99%

Fear - .08%

Starvation - .01%

I just alt-tabbed, why is there a dead body in front of me? - .01%

Also,

If you look past the mindless killers and the players that just want to watch the world burn

have no problems with being alone OR (My primary point) already HAVE friends to play with.

Same thing.

Lastly, I demand a "Yell" option that increases the range of voice comms. So I can die less to KoS.

KOSer's are simple as this :

(I'm bad at doing quick meme so...)

original.jpg

Alan : We can't play DayZ together. When you see someone, bad things happen and people get hurt.

Mr. Chow : Yeah. That's the point. It's funny !

Edited by Isamu7

KOS is for gutless cowards afraid to actually try to interact with people. I dont care that people KOS. Im not the one who has to live with being a scumbag gutless piece of shit coward. :)

it's kill or be killed on dayz. 

If you win someone's trust, you win his life. 

You give someone your trust, you give him your life. 

Edited by HCHellCaptain