Sign in to follow this  
zimboy

800m headshot (helmet protection works) ?

So here is the shot..

I dont mind about not getting the kill etc.. i mean it woud of been funny to see a fresh spawn pick up that gear just after :D Just found this an interesting observation.

Not 100% sure on the helmet to be honest.

First shot Glitch slide out the way.

Second shot forgeting bullets pull lightly left.

Shot 3 ?

So was it a head shot on the third shot?

zoomed in a bit and its a clear head shot you see blood spatter then the round goes through and hits the floor so blood then dirt?

Uploading slightly fades the blood looks nice and red on the pc here is a printscreen ..

First the blood splater

2nl5tvs.png

Then the round hits the dirt

2jbmtdj.png

Edited by zimboy
  • Like 1

Ballistic Military Helmets in Pristine condition will stop a head-shot-kill, not sure if he has one or not though hard to tell, I can post a Pic of my character if you need to see which people to not head-shot :P either way that was a tad strange

Is there any transparent source for things like this?

I've never found in the wiki, what which item can exactly do. It was just like "I've heard it from one guy, who knows it from the devs" :D

Another thing i noticed the bullet travel times are iratic first one is fast, second one slightly longer the third takes for ever to land. could be dsync who knows :P

Edited by zimboy

At this point we only have anecdotal evidence. That does look like a ballistic helmet, but yeah, too far to be entirely sure. Perhaps it grazed him, hence the dirt strike behind?

I can tell you this: I came out of a building in NEAF in full gear with ballistic helmet and tactical armor and was lit up by someone with an M4, I ran back and forth trying to get a zero as he emptied what sounded like an entire clip at me and finally went unconscious. I was unconscious for a very long time before dying. I never log so I just watched. Very long time = 15 or more seconds. I didn't count, but it was a while. So, it appears that that stuff is fairly protective.

That said, later I had two guys wearing ballistic helmets hit me from behind, one with fists (and I had no weapons) in Elektro fire station, and then another in a Balota hangar (after a character wipe) with an axe when I had an axe. I killed both of them and took, in the first case a pristine ballistic helmet, and in the second a worn. So, apparently not as good against melee.

I read that pristine military gear can basically stop a pistol round until ruined. Given some benefit of the doubt or so, you could say that pristine mil gear (with ballistic protection) can stop one round total. I assume by "stopping a round" they refer to absorbing complete damage or most of it. It could still be possible to bleed or get broken bones depending on the hit, though.

Just assumptions and hearsay, however.

Is there any transparent source for things like this?

I've never found in the wiki, what which item can exactly do. It was just like "I've heard it from one guy, who knows it from the devs" :D

Yeah, there is a test website somewhere.. will have to find it again. The site consists of this guy doing controlled tests via multiple subjects with ballistics and the effects they cause with certain conditions(armor, spots on the body, range, and shit).

Found it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XJfMMTDSN65BJNnMWGh2ZFACv6H_WD1shH5np9ne8vY/edit?pli=1

Edited by Dontstealmycheese

Not trying to be a dick but I was curious what makes you think that was 800m? Looks like maybe a bit more than half of that to me. Still a good shot though and yes I believe that was helmet protection or possibly a bit of server side lag.

If ballistics are anything like Arma 2's ballistics, and that was indeed 800m+, the bullet may have lost a lot of its power (IIRC Arma 2's 7.62x51 rifles lose almost half of their raw damage at around the 800m mark, and if it's a similar deal with the Mosin then I'm guessing it will be considerably less powerful than a close range FNX. This is on the assumption that a helmet can bounce a .45 bullet, which I've seen mixed evidence for; it's probably also range related for .45 rounds).

On the other hand bullets can't penetrate characters in Arma 2 (unless Dean & co seriously changed things), so I would put it down to desync.

Edited by Parasprite

In Standalone bullets can now penetrate characters from what I've seen, therefore also possibly certain structures.

In the "Scumbag Bandit with a Mosin" (or so) videos you can see him snipe in Cherno from a factory tower or so. He aims at a player that has a zombie behind him; upon firing through the head or throat he also kills the zombie nearly completely behind the player. At least from what I've seen, if I did see that right.

Not trying to be a dick but I was curious what makes you think that was 800m? Looks like maybe a bit more than half of that to me. Still a good shot though and yes I believe that was helmet protection or possibly a bit of server side lag.

Umm my scope was ranged out to 800m, seemed dead on i think?

2dir4t0.png

√(750^2 + 220^2) = 781m give or take hard to be exact.

Or

1.8 x 1000 / (looks like 2-2.3 mill dots tall) = 900m - 782m

Hard to be exact without range finders, i had FOV turned to 0.

Another thing i noticed the bullet travel times are iratic first one is fast, second one slightly longer the third takes for ever to land. could be dsync who knows :P

thats interesting you don't hink thats been done on purpose? you know to make us focus more on making the first shot count more nah, has to be dsync wouldn't make sense.

thats interesting you don't hink thats been done on purpose? you know to make us focus more on making the first shot count more nah, has to be dsync wouldn't make sense.

i know i was thinking about this, it might even be some kind of server delay calculating whether or not the shot counts towards howmuch damage dealt

but i think it was probably dsync to be honest i will have to test it out on some sign somewhere

I know for sure the vest works. I was in a random town house in Vybor, and some guy logs in ontop of me with a vest. I panicked and shot. It took two hits to kill him, and he was wearing the Press vest.

Ordinary ballistic helmet cannot stop a 7.62 round even at ranges above 800 meters IMHO

yeah in reality it should pick up speed and hit like a ton of bricks, i don't know watching it back there must be some crazy ballistics algorithms in place and quite precise  because i wonder if the round had hit the shoulder or neck it would of been a kill shot?