Sign in to follow this  
-Gews-

PU scope - bullet drop and ranging

A week ago I posted this rough estimate. In the meantime, I went to the NWAF and tested this scope a bit.

In the process of testing I had to climb on top of the ATC tower and of course I was promptly shot off... but not before I obtained the information I was seeking. Maybe I should have tried a server that didn't have 35 players on it.

The blue circle is the weapon's dispersion, no bipod. There is a rough ranging guide to the left, and the required holdover for certain ranges.

You will want to have this zeroed at 200m for any range under 250 meters - the 100m setting is redundant.

vqTDxo3.png

As well, you can roughly estimate your on-target dispersion by remembering it is always a circle with a diameter approximately 3/4 of the thickness of the posts.

SOw6jXf.gif

These values should remain the same regardless of your FOV setting.

Hopefully this helps in making those 1,500m+ shots.

• Like 5

Although I have not tested it, I doubt the 7.62 rounds can travel that far i.e. 1500+ meters.

Although I have not tested it, I doubt the 7.62 rounds can travel that far i.e. 1500+ meters.

Well - technically they can but the velocity loss is ... to big 

They should go almost 2,000 meters.

I was referring to effective range, should have been clearer on that. Also using the PSU past the maximum zeroing range will be useless, since you will have to aim above the target and because the reticules are so thick, you won't be able to see where exactly you are shooting at. So killing anything past max zeroing, let alone 1500+ with a PSU scope will be pretty much impossible unless you get a lucky shot.

I was referring to effective range, should have been clearer on that. Also using the PSU past the maximum zeroing range will be useless, since you will have to aim above the target and because the reticules are so thick, you won't be able to see where exactly you are shooting at. So killing anything past max zeroing, let alone 1500+ with a PSU scope will be pretty much impossible unless you get a lucky shot.

Hehehe this topic was not completely serious, I don't expect anyone to hit anything at anywhere near 1,500 meters, ever, and you couldn't see them anyways. Once I did hit a guy in Wasteland at 1,550 with an M24 but that weapon is in a different league. I think the PU has an effective range of maybe 400 as it currently stands.

The furthest ever shot I made was with the .50 cal sniper rifle and AP ammo in Arma 3 (regular ammo just had too much bullet drop at that range to hit the target no matter how high you aimed, it just wouldn't even come close) at 2100 meters center mass on the first shot.

Back on topic though, I haven't used the PSU past 200 meters. I only use it in urban areas so I can't tell, but it seems even with pristine condition long range scope, past ~300 meters the bullet always hits about 10-20 cms to the left of the target. e.g. 500 meter shot, aiming center of the head of target bullet flies by his ear to the left by about 20 cms every fricking time. :(

Back on topic though, I haven't used the PSU past 200 meters. I only use it in urban areas so I can't tell, but it seems even with pristine condition long range scope, past ~300 meters the bullet always hits about 10-20 cms to the left of the target. e.g. 500 meter shot, aiming center of the head of target bullet flies by his ear to the left by about 20 cms every fricking time. :(

It must be a problem with the model, there are three points you have to place correctly when making a gun, two for the barrel, and one for the sight. Maybe one is off by a small amount, like this:

RRe77bh.png

thankyou for post this :beans:

I was doing DIY ranging system on zeds from forest but this one explain more so my brain realise why I miss :thumbsup:  :rolleyes:

So has anyone done sighting in on the mosin it hour a scope?

You'll need to rephrase that.