Sign in to follow this  
WarAndRuin

## hour player lock / Gear locked to server!

Again DJ some nice input there...

The private server hosting information is great.

This is new! The OP figured out how to be wrong in a bunch of different colors. Usually on here people are just wrong in one color. 

Right i have cleaned this thread up - God knows i should have just sent it to the Graveyard but i think there could be valid discussion here if people didn't get so het up and childish.

Please voice your opinions but keep it clean and civil and avoid personal insults.

As for my 2 cents - what you are proposing seems to be private hives with gear tied to a specific server. This wont be happening in the near future for the SA. Server hopping will be dealt with (the Devs do know the issues) so we will have to wait and see what solutions they come up with.  There has been talk of logging all login/logout history and issuing warnings, or applying a timer which is exponential if server hopping is continuous.

Again, please keep it clean.

• Like 1

Big shiny letters are scary. I can see Hall programming as we speak, terrifed.

Right i have cleaned this thread up - God knows i should have just sent it to the Graveyard but i think there could be valid discussion here if people didn't get so het up and childish.

Please voice your opinions but keep it clean and civil and avoid personal insults.

As for my 2 cents - what you are proposing seems to be private hives with gear tied to a specific server. This wont be happening in the near future for the SA. Server hopping will be dealt with (the Devs do know the issues) so we will have to wait and see what solutions they come up with.  There has been talk of logging all login/logout history and issuing warnings, or applying a timer which is exponential if server hopping is continuous.

Again, please keep it clean.

Thank you DeamonGroover this is much appreciated!

As this has been mentioned a lot - the only viable solution would be Timed logout if in combat or combat zone. 

Combat = shooting, being shoot at or other action against your character or by your character to another ( Handcufs, feeding, medical or so on from other player )

Combat zone = 1-2km zone where somebody has been shooting or someone has been killed. ( zombies not included )

If combat / combat zone = true than set logout taimer 5min. ( being - player is still in the game while the timer counts even if he force exits the game of course being notifed that hes gonna be in the game for more min )

Instant logout , if you are not in the combat / combat zone.

Woula - simple. 

As for server jumping. Make it so that on a different server you respawn with YOUR character on the random spawn , like when you create a new character. Aka - on a different server, you start on the coast. 

Can i have my beans now?

Edited by sYs

Best way to dampen down server hopping and prevent "ghosting" is to add a 15-30 minute lock timer for joining a second server within X time of leaving the first.

So:

You join Server A, leave Server A and join Server B within 5 minutes of leaving server A. When you leave Server B you get hit with a 15-30 minute countdown locking you to Server B.

Unfortunately if you are unluck enough to have two de-syncs with both servers then you will have to wait the timer out.

Alternatively

You join Server A, leave Server A and join Server B within 5 minutes of leaving Server A. As soon as you connect to Server B you are hit with a 30-45 minute lock to Server B preventing you from quickly moving back to Server B or on to Server C if it a quick loot dash hop.

This one will prevent someone from ghosting and may dampen down loot server hopping.

I am looking forward to a private hive where none of this is possible.

As this has been mentioned a lot - the only viable solution would be Timed logout if in combat or combat zone. 

Combat = shooting, being shoot at or other action against your character or by your character to another ( Handcufs, feeding, medical or so on from other player )

Combat zone = 1-2km zone where somebody has been shooting or someone has been killed. ( zombies not included )

If combat / combat zone = true than set logout taimer 5min. ( being - player is still in the game while the timer counts even if he force exits the game of course being notifed that hes gonna be in the game for more min )

Instant logout , if you are not in the combat / combat zone.

Woula - simple. 

As for server jumping. Make it so that on a different server you respawn with YOUR character on the random spawn , like when you create a new character. Aka - on a different server, you start on the coast. 

Can i have my beans now?

What if the game crashes while one of these conditions are matched? Well, your character certainly dies then. Seems harsh, but it will probably be the only solution.

If you would get teleported on server hop, that would encourage that just to have a quick way of travelling. Not a good idea.

What if the game crashes while one of these conditions are matched? Well, your character certainly dies then. Seems harsh, but it will probably be the only solution.

If you would get teleported on server hop, that would encourage that just to have a quick way of travelling. Not a good idea.

Well there are more pluses than minuses but your input is valid too. In the end - lesser of two evils prevails :beans:

Edited by sYs

1 server <=> 1 character

wanna play on another server ? have another character.

It's not a bad idea on paper, but I think the reality of implementing a system like this would be nothing short of a train wreck, given the reasons listed above by other posters. I mean, what if 'your server' simply happens to be at capacity for an extended period, you just cant play?..

I still think a 20 minute loot lockout might be a middling option. If you loot anything on a server, a 20 minute timer refreshes that for its duration "lock you in" to a server - loot wise at least. So to farm a place 3 times with hopping, it takes an hour, roughly the same amount of time it would take to make the journey between the larger loot hubs.

So I read a lot of post about server hopping loot whores.. tbh they don't bother me as I just see them as a way for the unlucky with loot players to gain gear but in all fairness I will admid its some level of cheating the system...

Now whilst there is some decent suggestions and ideas out there ''some of the ideas are good & others will ruin the game'' so I guess we will just have to wait and see what the dev team see as a fit idea/fix to counter this issue.

One idea I have had to maybe counter this problem is basically have it so the server your playing on either solo or with friends holds your loot and log off location in its memory there for allowing you to log off in selected and safe places with your friends/clan members.

''When I play I'm usually with friends and when one logs the others log or stay close by so when the others return we are safe in numbers''

But as a counter deterrent for server hopping how about having some kinds of system that makes you work for your current gear you had? So as an example you play on a server then decide to change/server hop... now the gear you had previously is stripped from you but not lost! In stead its placed some where on the map (as you spawn you see a becon in the air to guid you back or you have to find a map to seeits location) but your obviously spawned far away from it and in a different place to where you logged! There for you have to run and grab it again but to make it interesting you can't loot anything other than food and drink to keep alive whilst retrieving your kit back? Or some thing similar along those lines?

As I stated this is just an idea it mite be good or mite sound bad but its seems along better than 24 hour locks or hour locks that would punish every player! Least with my idea only the deliberate hoppers would be punished :-)

I can't shake the feeling that you are all offering up solutions to a problem that probably won't exist by the time we get further along the Alpha/Beta pathway.

@sYs:

Assuming you are meaning a 2 km diameter area, that's 4 km^2. Everyone in that area is in combat with you simply because you discharge a firearm. If it's going to be that indiscriminate, why not simply have it trigger when you weld a melee weapon? They can be used for combat, right? All you'd have to do is charge about the map, and shoot a tree every km or so, and you could annoy  a whole lot of legitimate players. Something tells me you haven't thought through the practicalities of your suggestion or the ways that it can and will be 'gamed'.

And that doesn't begin to address the server-side processing that this will entail. Think about it: the server will need to be tracking the distance between each and every player on the entire map, or even worse, calculating that data each and every time you fire a weapon. Now the calculation isn't that difficult as the formula for working out the distance is pretty straight forward (the actual formula is left as an exercise for the reader ;-) ) but even if you're caching some of the data, that would still entail a fair bit of processing overhead to check for old data that needs to be refreshed as well as the recalculations themselves.

So, no, this is only a simple solution on paper. Try to implement it, and it becomes a nightmare.

@Lancer 2-2

You're kidding, right? No. Okay then, I'll call your bluff. Next time you want to play DayZ, fire up the game. Now sit there for 30 minutes before joining a server. (And, no. You cannot go do something else while you wait. You may not pass go. You may not collect... NVM!) What complaing already? "It's my 30 mins, I can do what I want with it!" Yes, yes you can. The point is, if you want to play DayZ but can't, what are you going to do? Something else. But how many times are you going to allow DayZ to bitch-slap you like this without coming to the realisation that it isn't really worth the effort anymore?

So we wait and see what solutions the devs come up with for these known problems, and I can guarantee that their solutions will be much more reasonable and well thought out than any I've seen here or elsewhere on these forums.

If you do t like server hoppers just go camp somewhere they like to hop into and shoot them.

Geez people, find emergent solutions. Don't just moan.

I think a better suggestion would be to add a 10-20 second delay from clicking "log out" to actually being able to log out (stops battle logging in its tracks).

5 minute to 10 minute wait before connecting to another server would be good. Most people play Dayz for an hour or more on one server, so 5 minutes wait isn't too bad before going to a new server if it crashes or whatever. Most people server hop simply because they can. I do it on occasion because I don't want to run around for 3 hours getting the bare minimum of loot, just to get shot by some paranoid fellow with a gun who saw me down the street. 

Chronic server hoppers, those that you kill by chance who have 10 mags with an m4 with pristine parts and an Acog, but no food, are another problem. Having a waiting period of 5 minutes to connect to a new server would severely hamper their activities. The 10 second logout timer would mean that they can't log out at the first sounds of footsteps down the barracks hallway. 

1.) DayZ is in Alpha and the devs are aware of the server hopping issue.

2.) I have full faith in the devs that they will fix the issue before it hits Beta.

Its an Alpha people, you are obviously forgetting that.

I for one am a fan of a 30 sec logout delay, though :)

Edited by Nereus77

No

If a server crashes I don't want to wait for a whole hour, sometimes when a server restarts only 1-2 players rejoin it, so now I would be forced to play with no one around

If it was like 15mins it wouldn't be a pain, but all this does is force people to wait around to even have any quality of play or just not bother playing at all, something does need to be done but when it will be punishing more legit players than the non legit ones something is clearly wrong

I think and as is stated, as soon as more servers are purchased and more private hives are about the problem will abolished anyways, depending on if they keep there own public server list.