Sign in to follow this  
ProGamerGov

Dayz Standalone DDoS attacks

I am not advertising though by telling people why their game is not working could be. But I feel it's better that players and the developers know who is doing and what and is responsible for this.

The cyber police? There's a police force for the internet that's not bound to any country? Since when?

1. Providing links to their twitter is basically advertising, intended or not.

2. I think you missed the reference, cyber police, you done goofed, etc.:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/jessi-slaughter

As some of you may know, a criminal hacker group know as DerpTrolling has been going around and performing DDoS attacks on every major game and game servers for the last little while. They have attacked Dayz a few times already and could have been responsible for the rubber banding and character resets today if they attacked the main hive.

This thread is just to point out not every game breaking problem is the games fault.

For proof of this check here: https://twitter.com/DerpTrolling

So how can we defend Dayz from attacks like these? The game can make people pretty upset at times and could provoke other DDoS attacks.

derptrolling

i wouldn't worry, that's a more pleb 12yo scriptkiddie name than lulzsec. 

the fact that they're attacking games rather than ddosing something actually important probably just means that they can't play games and need to git gud

these kids should stick their tongue in the electric socket to see if they can take the power grid down

• Like 2

I applaude these assholes. Because that is what they are and they are proud of it. Maybe I'm just one of the few that thinks things like this are hilarious, but these guys deserve money or something.

They're causing frustration by ruining people's entertainment. (In turn, entertaining themselves.) This seems like a very unreasonable punishment for internet asshatery.

Of course if they get caught, they deserve the punishment since they failed to cover their tracks. If they don't, they get to live on knowing that they caused frustration and "lulz" among the masses.

They are causing so much more than that. They are affecting profits of the companies involved. That has serious consequences. 

So you applaude some kids who used a program that they didnt create, Who then went on to disrupt the entertainment of people who may well be handicaped or ill whos only entertainment is to attempt to play games online with friends.

Over the Xmas Holidays.

Well done sir you are a fucking disgrace to the human race.

Boo hoo, some people just can't live on when they have to go without playing a videogame for a day? That is a disgrace to the human race.

If kids can really get "a program that they didnt create" and cause this many problems so easily, that is a disgrace to the people who are being targetted by the problem.

Boo hoo, some people just can't live on when they have to go without playing a videogame for a day? That is a disgrace to the human race.

If kids can really get "a program that they didnt create" and cause this many problems so easily, that is a disgrace to the people who are being targetted by the problem.

So your saying if i can get my hands on a pen and then stab someone with the pen ?

Its the fault of the people who make pens ?

Or where you saying its the fault of the people that where stabbed  ?

Edited by BL1P
  • Like 1

I applaude these assholes. Because that is what they are and they are proud of it. Maybe I'm just one of the few that thinks things like this are hilarious, but these guys deserve money or something.

They're causing frustration by ruining people's entertainment. (In turn, entertaining themselves.) This seems like a very unreasonable punishment for internet asshatery.

Of course if they get caught, they deserve the punishment since they failed to cover their tracks. If they don't, they get to live on knowing that they caused frustration and "lulz" among the masses.

30,000 people per year are so unhappy that they actually KILL...themselves. 38,000 now since the economic recession. (Billionaires doubled their money btw) 200,000 individual attempts. Just in the USA. That alone is cause for concern and respect for those they're effecting. You might not like people, but eventually you will realize everyone does the best they can with what they have, physically and mentally.  ...and that is just the tip of that iceberg. There is no reason for hatred once you learn how people work.

• Like 1

Logged on a few minutes ago and had my character reset... tried a few other servers and all the same.

It's a real shame - my character had been alive for several days, had lots of gear, and lots of cool stories of encounters with other survivors. I had logged off far into the map where my friends were and now I have to start over? Eh, I don't think so - this kind of sucks tbh. I hope there are going to be some kind of rollbacks or something.

As for the guys that did this, anyone who derives enjoyment from the suffering of others is a sadist, and the only thing I would suggest is that they go seek therapy to deal with whatever childhood issues they have that are causing them to act out this way against random strangers on the internet.

• Like 1

Logged on a few minutes ago and had my character reset... tried a few other servers and all the same.

It's a real shame - my character had been alive for several days, had lots of gear, and lots of cool stories of encounters with other survivors. I had logged off far into the map where my friends were and now I have to start over? Eh, I don't think so - this kind of sucks tbh. I hope there are going to be some kind of rollbacks or something.

As for the guys that did this, anyone who derives enjoyment from the suffering of others is a sadist, and the only thing I would suggest is that they go seek therapy to deal with whatever childhood issues they have that are causing them to act out this way against random strangers on the internet.

Your character is gone because your client can't reach the hive where it is stored. If you don't play and wait until the DDoSing stops, you will get your character back.

You're an idiot. Take that to the bank, and cash it.. For the Lulz.

DDoS attacks cost companies money, and that "bill" is ultimately passed on to the customer, which is all of us. They have no "cause", no "code", no "honor", no "respect", no "logic", no "reason".. They're just doing it because they're bored and on a power trip. With great power comes great responsibility.. It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak, not subjugate them.. And what do these kids do with their knowledge/power? They harass other people for "Lulz". They're cowards, and if they DO get picked up and charged and put in prison, guess what? They're going to be pissing themselves like the dogs they are.

You find that "hilarious"? Grow up.

Not really its more of a disgrace how shitty some peoples computer security is, wonder how many people are part of that botnet and dont even know it?

Message the server providers to supply anti dos protection.

Its still impossible to prevent DDOS 100% mate, nobody in the world has that techonology. :)

Its to easy to aquire a "botnet" for a DDOS attack theese days, takes 30$ and you have 1000+ infected computers, just waiting your orders and ready to ping anything down.

The day someone invents proper anti-DDOS software, he will become the riches person in the entire world :)

But as of now, its impossible to prevent it 100%, ask anyone in the IT business.

So I should create a company that buys botnets, then tracks down the owners and charges them to fix their security holes...sweet :)

Message the server providers to supply anti dos protection.

I thought it was the hive that got DDOS'ed meaning providing dos protection to single servers won't really help the problem...

Edited by weedmasta

So I should create a company that buys botnets, then tracks down the owners and charges them to fix their security holes...sweet :)

No, coz its not a security hole mate :) DDOS has nothing to do with security.

Its simple really, its a flood of useless information, which then "clocks" the entire server its aimed towards, so the useful information cannot enter.

Hence people got they're character wiped, it was impossible to get the information your client needed, because the HIVE was flooded with useless information, maxing out all the bandwith.

The bigger bandwith, the more "bots" you need, but its never impossible to DDOS anything really.

Theres no technology in the world, which can prevent people from sending useless info to any kind of server, thats why DDOS is used by so make groups around the world, to try and "make a point" :)