sobieski12

These actions will only encourage to people KOS.

I am quite sure there are people that simply KOS since the game has the freedom for the player to do so. But the constant use of exiting the game before a threat is becoming simply immersion breaking, after a while of various armed players approaching to role play with various players. Do you think they would rather talk and rob you or just flat out shoot you?

* Exiting the game will only encourage players to shoot 1st and ask questions later. Because you can simply exit the game and escape a desperate situation, thus denying to give players your loot.

I am personally trying to play the role of an actual bandit, walk to players and steal some supplies but not killing them. But the current system does not encourage this system at all. 

* This gif represents the overall DayZ community as a whole if a threat is spotted, as for players playing the game fair. That number is vanishing quite quickly.

http://gfycat.com/UniqueGlisteningKittiwake#

For those that think that using this feature is the right call in evading bandits on the beach, I am sorry to say your going to regret that decision quite quickly. After the majority of the community is going to log when they ever see a threat, bandits / murderers will just take the killing shot to take gear and  not bother to role-play. Since players will try anything to stay alive, that means abusing the games system.

Edited by Sobieski12
  • Like 2

Wuhuu, combat loggers... This has been discussed before though..

I really feel strongly that, at some point, beating even a dead horse should be considered animal cruelty.

• Like 3

Wuhuu, combat loggers... This has been discussed before though..

The gif does not represent combat logging.

Just a armed player walking up to an un-armed civilian and talking, while the un-armed player does not take a chance and simply logs.

* I could just take the shot and save the time, since players will do anything to save their loot. 

But then I will probably see 20 "Stop KOS threads on this forum"

Edited by Sobieski12
  • Like 1

Talked about many times before, confirmed features to prevent this....

Ok, I'll just remove the combat logger vid.

* Since it seems that is the only thing people can see in this thread.

I'd like people to focus on the gif.

* That situation would not place the un-armed players in a combat situation, he has the freedom to leave when ever he likes. Thus denying the role-play experiance to the player that is trying to rob him.

Edited by Sobieski12
  • Like 1

The gif does not represent combat logging.

Just a armed player walking up to an un-armed civilian and talking, while the un-armed player does not take a chance and simply logs.

* I could just take the shot and save the time, since players will do anything to save their loot. 

But then I will probably see 20 "Stop KOS threads on this forum"

That is combat logging... We don't need a word for every single action. Not-in-combat-just-another-player-with-a-raised-gun-looking-at-him logging.

• Like 2

Dean (Rocket) Said soon they are adding 30 seconds before you can logout. So people can't do this. I guess if they exit there body will still be on server for 30 seconds before it goes. Can't wait for this to happen can't come soon another! 

That is combat logging... We don't need a word for every single action. Not-in-combat-just-another-player-with-a-raised-gun-looking-at-him logging.

Being shot at and then logging is combat logging. 

* Did you play the classic mod by any chance? The only time the combat timer would prevent you from leaving is when your being shot at.

If you saw a group of heavily armed players approach your position but haven't shot yet, you can simply log to escape the desperate situation.

Ok, I'll just remove the combat logger vid.

* Since it seems that is the only thing people can see in this thread.

I'd like people to focus on the gif.

* That situation would not place the un-armed players in a combat situation, he has the freedom to leave when ever he likes. Thus denying the role-play experiance to the player that is trying to rob him.

Right, lets focus on the GIF. *Watches GIF* Yes, that shows what is referred to as Combat Logging. It has been talked about many times before, there are confirmed features to prevent this....

I assume they will also be adding some form of detection for disconnecting when you hear someone speaking over comms or something.

(edit: *will, extra paragraph thing responding to below)

Edited by Shenanigans

Combat loggers will only encourage KOS, everytime you see a player, they could simply log off upon the sight of you. The only way you can benefit from this is to kill before the log-off. This will only change if the dayz community grew 2 brains and 2 balls. (that does not mean the forum community, you know I'm speaking generically )

I even would like to trade with other players, once contact has been made.... by contact, I mean lots of Yelling, "Put down the Fire Extinguisher!!!".

But the current system only encourages feedback. Handcuffs are not enough sometimes, people don't know humility or role play or just the realisation of why the fuck they're playing DayZ in the 1st place. Once we figure out how to tame these anomalies, we can focus on how to encourage role-play.

Being a bandit used to sound boring as fuck. But we gave feedback. We dove into their minds. Now you can handcuff people and force feed them all sorts of shit, someday inject them with zombie blood.
Being a good guy used to sound cool. Instead of killing whatever you saw, like a demented fly swatter, you'd engage players, interact and achieve a common goal (fixing a heli with a new buddy)
The SA Release has focused on one thing: Banditry. Which is unfortunate. In time, it will change, but will it be enough to change DayZ's KOS reputation? Which feels like the source of so many flaws in this game

Edited by DaveZ

Right, lets focus on the GIF. *Watches GIF* Yes, that shows what is reffered to as Combat Logging. It has been talked about many times before, there are confirmed features to prevent this....

How is that gif combat logging!?

He didn't even shoot the guy.

I would describe combat logging as leaving the server to avoid danger, whether a shot was fired or not the guy in the gif felt threatened and so left, i'd call that combat logging.

A logout timer would help but i think the only way is to have the characters body stay in game for at least 30secs when disconnecting even if there is no one around and also the character should go into a specific pose that clearly shows they have logged out.

If shots have been fired then the character should stay for even longer, or simply be automatically killed, with warnings of course.

• Like 5

Combat or not, its lame to logout to save your sorry ass..

• Like 2

How is that gif combat logging!?

He didn't even shoot the guy.

Because he logged from the fear of having to be in combat. The guy was aiming the gun at him. Just stop... this thread is stupid. =/

Stop acting like every unarmed coward combat logger you come across is your property and them combat logging is some grave injustice that has been done onto you. You don't have to take out your frustration on the rest of the community when you get a semi-hardon seeing a weaker player and then they combat log. It's the same feeling we feel when you kill us on sight without saying a word. Deal with it until it is fixed.

I know for a fact that a lot of people are still going to kill on sight even after combat logging is fixed, cause you're cowards just like the loggers. So stop using it as some kind of excuse to make yourself feel better for being a dick to people in-game.

Stop acting like every unarmed coward combat logger you come across is your property and them combat logging is some grave injustice that has been done onto you.

It's insane to argue that combat logging is anything but an absolutely critical issue. It completely undermines every possible threat in the game. You can combat log on players or zombies, so it's not just a problem with PvP. It basically makes players invincible to everything except 1-shot kills.

There's no argument to be had about whether it's a serious issue. It basically breaks the game.

You don't have to take out your frustration on the rest of the community when you get a semi-hardon seeing a weaker player and then they combat log. 

It really seems like you're the one harboring a frustration with the community here. It's really quite simple. You don't get to cheat just because you don't want to die in a certain way.

It's the same feeling we feel when you kill us on sight without saying a word.

Right, except killing you is a legitimate and intended part of the game while logging out to stay alive is cheating. There's a reason Dean is going to take it out of the game.

I know for a fact that a lot of people are still going to kill on sight even after combat logging is fixed

Of course they are. How is that at all related? Why would fixing combat logging have any affect on people's desire to kill?

cause you're cowards just like the loggers.

You're honestly not making any sense mate. What was the point of this post except to take your anger out on people who shoot others?

You've been around long enough to realize this is how the game works and it's not going to change. If it still makes you so angry and frustrated, why are you still here?
  • Like 4

It's insane to argue that combat logging is anything but an absolutely critical issue. It completely undermines every possible threat in the game. You can combat log on players or zombies, so it's not just a problem with PvP. It basically makes players invincible to everything except 1-shot kills.

There's no argument to be had about whether it's a serious issue. It basically breaks the game.

It really seems like you're the one harboring a frustration with the community here. It's really quite simple. You don't get to cheat just because you don't want to die in a certain way.

Right, except killing you is a legitimate and intended part of the game while logging out to stay alive is cheating. There's a reason Dean is going to take it out of the game.

Of course they are. How is that at all related? Why would fixing combat logging have any affect on people's desire to kill?

You're honestly not making any sense mate. What was the point of this post except to take your anger out on people who shoot others?

You've been around long enough to realize this is how the game works and it's not going to change. If it still makes you so angry and frustrated, why are you still here?

Did I say combat logging is not an issue? I said deal with it until it's fixed.

I've never combat logged, EVER. Fuck you for implying I cheat.

Killing people on sight is legit, I never said otherwise. I said it was a dick move.

Sigh. I made the comments that people will still kill on sight even when logging is fixed because this thread is specifically about using combat logging as an excuse to kill on sight.

I'm allowed to voice my disapproval of killing on sight, and also my disapproval of using combat logging as an excuse for KOS. That's nice that you feel like nothing will ever change, I still have some shred of hope for this community to at least make an effort to improve the social interactions. Kill on sight is just so boring and unoriginal, you can still kill people and make it more interesting.

Edited by bad_mojo
  • Like 2

Thankfully there are plans to address combat logging, server hopping, and ghosting.  As to how or what extent, I don't know.

As the gif shows, this player wasn't in any apparent danger minus the presence of another player nearby.  So even with all of these measures implemented, we might not be able to stop people from just "going into their turtle shell" at first sign of a threat.

But who cares if they do?  If they find solace or fun in the constant logging in/out of a server to avoid death, they're eventually going to run into the server hopping countermeasures. 

Plus that's really time consuming.  I give a heart felt "meh".

make combat log pussy player steam ID flash in sky like bat signal of shame ;)

• Like 2

Did I say combat logging is not an issue? I said deal with it until it's fixed.

I've never combat logged, EVER. Fuck you for implying I cheat.

Killing people on sight is legit, I never said otherwise. I said it was a dick move.

Sigh. I made the comments that people will still kill on sight even when logging is fixed because this thread is specifically about using combat logging as an excuse to kill on sight.

I'm allowed to voice my disapproval of killing on sight, and also my disapproval of using combat logging as an excuse for KOS. That's nice that you feel like nothing will ever change, I still have some shred of hope for this community to at least make an effort to improve the social interactions. Kill on sight is just so boring and unoriginal, you can still kill people and make it more interesting.

That's just like, your opinion, man

Combat logging is a valid excuse for KoS because one of the natures of this game is to be competitive for loot in order to survive. If I don't KoS you while combat logging is still possible, I take a huge risk in losing my newly found loot. We can't instantly take your stuff without killing you. We can't take your stuff slowly because it runs a high risk of combat log. Hence, until new features get implimented, you will die as soon as we see you.

By KoSing players, we are "dealing with it until it's fixed." This way we stop you from cheating whenever we try to take your stuff.

Combat logging means there has to be some form of combat, just seeing someone doesn't merit combat. dense people on these forums.

Combat logging means there has to be some form of combat, just seeing someone doesn't merit combat. dense people on these forums.

That is what I am trying to say, but it seems people don't understand the term "combat logging".

Stop acting like every unarmed coward combat logger you come across is your property and them combat logging is some grave injustice that has been done onto you. You don't have to take out your frustration on the rest of the community when you get a semi-hardon seeing a weaker player and then they combat log. It's the same feeling we feel when you kill us on sight without saying a word. Deal with it until it is fixed.

I know for a fact that a lot of people are still going to kill on sight even after combat logging is fixed, cause you're cowards just like the loggers. So stop using it as some kind of excuse to make yourself feel better for being a dick to people in-game.

o.O I don't think you realize this is a survival PvP game. Humans are supposed to be just as dangerous, if not more-so than the NPC enemies. Haven't you ever seen a zombie survival movie or show?

That is what I am trying to say, but it seems people don't understand the term "combat logging".

Sobie, the guy was aiming a gun at him, so he logged out to not get shot in the face. Hence he combat logged. =__=; Such a stupid thing to argue about, seriously.

Edited by Tara505

o.O I don't think you realize this is a survival PvP game. Humans are supposed to be just as dangerous, if not more-so than the NPC enemies. Haven't you ever seen a zombie survival movie or show?

Sobie, the guy was aiming a gun at him, so he logged out to not get shot in the face. Hence he combat logged. =__=; Such a stupid thing to argue about, seriously.

combat was not started, he was not shot simply aiming your gun at me doesn't put me in combat, nice try tho.

• Like 1