Sign in to follow this  
semipr0

Who Are You? Or "How to make DayZ not all about KOS in a few not so easy steps".

This is a very well written and well thought out post.  Thank you for sharing.

I do however disagree with the majority of it.

Your ideas are well thought out, but personally I don't want to see any kind of "mental health" mechanic in the game.  Every time I read one of those it's just another idea of how to punish people who kill on sight.  This one seems to be just that only a little more fancy.  I really don't want anything like this in the game at all.

Someone mentioned before about progressive beard growing or something like that as far as character progression.  The problem is most people cover their faces with gas masks eventually.  I'm still not opposed to the idea however.  I do want a grizzly beard on my character.

I also don't really want to see any sort of in-game benefit for surviving longer.  It's not a horrible idea at all, but I think it's actually going to encourage killing on sight.  The longer I survive, the more powerful I become.  So they'll just eliminate any threats upon sight.  But this could work in the game in theory.

I also don't want to see any sort of skill development in the game.  As mentioned about the portable gas stove and such.  I like the current "find it and use it" system.

While I agree, hardly anyone can field strip an M4 like every character in this game can.  At best I think we should require a wrench/screwdriver/pliers in order to add/remove mods from an M4 or any weapon.

Outside of that, No skill development for me please.

The non railed Hand guards, adjustable stocks, suppressors, carry handle/iron sights, ACOG, Red dots, and weapon lights all hand hand tightened mounting hardware that require no tools. Free floating rail systems require allen wrenches to tighten. I could teach anyone of a below average IQ and above to maintain an M16 family weapon system in about 10 minutes. 

I am not sure if the OP is referencing the mod or standalone or both.

I do not view character customization as a high priority for Standalone development at this time. Down the road it would be a nice feature but I do not think it is a crucial game play element. 

I would only support a skill system for more complex skills such as repairing vehicles or flying a helicopter. Screwing together a threaded propane tank with a burner, turning a nozzle and lighting it is hardly worthy of a skill tree. 

KoS is part of the game and the carebear faction that thinks it will be mitigated by time in game beards and 100000 dyedable clothing items baffles me. 

Long time ARMA grognard here. 

You put people in a fictional game world with random strangers, a variety of weapons, and no artificial in game consequences/penalties for their behavior and expect them to not kill each other?

Edited by Stand2arms

I agree some well worded posts..however I wish we could get less arguments and more ideas

people who believe this is a pure deathmatch pvp game have no thoughts so idea's hurt their brains and give them headaches...so lets come up with more and maybe their head's will explode and they will all die..

• Like 1

I am not sure if the OP is referencing the mod or standalone or both.

I do not view character customization as a high priority for Standalone development at this time. Down the road it would be a nice feature but I do not think it is a crucial game play element. 

I would only support a skill system for more complex skills such as repairing vehicles or flying a helicopter. Screwing together a threaded propane tank with a burner, turning a nozzle and lighting it is hardly worthy of a skill tree. 

KoS is part of the game and the carebear faction that thinks it will be mitigated by time in game beards and 100000 dyedable clothing items baffles me. 

Long time ARMA grognard here. 

then go back to playing arma if thats what you want

All I'm asking the actual DayZ game to do is actually take a stab at being a game...and not the framework for someone else to make a real game out of.

You must be new to Bohemia's games.  :P

• Like 1

Honestly, the quickest to make this game less about KOS is by displaying a characters name above his head when your close/when you zoom in on them.  Most people tend to pick a server and then play on the same (or a few of the same) servers and probably end up making contact with a lot of the same people. If player names popped up and you were more responsible for your actions then players would start to learn who is nice and who isn't. Personally if i saw someone who was nice to me in the past theres  definately a greater chance of me being nice back and not immediately shooting them, then if its someone that just kos'ed me and i know kills people all the time.

then go back to playing arma if thats what you want

Part of the carebear faction of Johnny Come latelys that want to "fix" DayZ? I for one will always voice my opinion for DayZ to stick to its roots as a realistic ARMA based, brutal survival, open world sandbox game free from artificial gamey elements to modify player behavior. 

Edited by Stand2arms
  • Like 1

The non railed Hand guards, adjustable stocks, suppressors, carry handle/iron sights, ACOG, Red dots, and weapon lights all hand hand tightened mounting hardware that require no tools. Free floating rail systems require allen wrenches to tighten. I could teach anyone of a below average IQ and above to maintain an M16 family weapon system in about 10 minutes. 

And where are you when someone spawns on the coast?

Exactly.

Hand your average citizen an M16 and ask them to do any of the above.  Might as well ask them to fly a plane.

And where are you when someone spawns on the coast?

Exactly.

Hand your average citizen an M16 and ask them to do any of the above.  Might as well ask them to fly a plane.

Whos to say our characters are not ex-military? oh but thats to much sense to fathom I guess.

Ok I earlier mentioned games like GTA and how fun it was being chased by police and that is something i'd like to see

( mechanics and the ability of being able to ) implemented in dayz.

So why don't we type in what kind of thing was the most fun for you in other games, like armas CTI or domination without 3 pages of nitpicking and arguments?

TL;DR 

type what games or parts of it you enjoy and how we could bring it to dayz without breaking dayz's authenticity

i disagree. there is a tremendous amount of individuality. it is just not obvious to the casual beholder. It is there, because DayZ involves the player behind the digital avatar in a completely different way.

WoW is gear-based. the endgame is fighting epic battles to get epic gear. your individual story in WoW involves killing a heroic boss one week earlier than that other group, which you totally despise because they kicked you out last patch - and getting that heroic version of your main hand weapon.

In DayZ, as much as the loot hunt is fun and being "fully geared" is an important goal for many, the real endgame is the encounter with other players that you will talk about for months. the very limited diversity of character and player model is irrelevant, if you read (and watch on youtube or twitch) the epic, funny, disgusting, terrifying, mindboggling stories of people who play DayZ. The avatar, bleeding or not, hungry or not, shaking or not - is just a tool, a medium. the real thing happens between players. it probably could be an 8 bit sprite, and it still would work.

Do you remember the green mountain stories? the mountain dew curse? the radio messages? the survivor stories thread? doc wasteland turning the metagame upside down by going out and suddenly healing people? those are individual stories. DayZ is nothing like your average RPG. its not about character progression - its about the gamer at the controls.

full disclaimer: author is a carebear and medic in the murderous, pvp oriented open world sandbox game DayZ and protection paladin tanking current content raids in the MMORPG World of Warcraft

Edited by e47
  • Like 1

Part of the carebear faction of Johnny Come latelys that want to "fix" DayZ? I for one will always voice my opinion for DayZ to stick to its roots as a realistic ARMA based, brutal survival, open world sandbox game free from artificial gamey elements to modify player behavior. 

you mean broken beyond all hell...and also to those going sandbox...

dayz is not a sandbox...a sandbox is a game where you have control over your enviorment and can modify it to suit your needs...dayz has not a single sandbox mechanic in it AT ALL.

as a matter of fact sandbox needs to be removed from the description of the game cause its not a sandbox at all and calling it a sandbox is false advertising...

sandbox games are games like

----------------------------------

minecraft

7 days to die

terraria

garys mod

you know games where you can actually have an effect on the world around you..and build it to suit your needs thats what sandbox means...

sandbox does mean mean open world deathmatch...

the closest dayz ever came to being a sandbox was the epoch and origin mods which had "GASP" npc's(and it didnt ruin the game it made it even more popular) and content and yet was still so far away from the true potential of dayz

Edited by soulesseye

you mean broken beyond all hell...and also to those going sandbox...

dayz is not a sandbox...a sandbox is a game where you have control over your enviorment and can modify it to suit your needs...dayz has not a single sandbox mechanic in it AT ALL.

Not yet, not "At all"

i disagree. there is a tremendous amount of individuality. it is just not obvious to the casual beholder. It is there, because DayZ involves the player behind the digital avatar in a completely different way.

WoW is gear-based. the endgame is fighting epic battles to get epic gear. your individual story in WoW involves killing a heroic boss one week earlier than that other group, which you totally despise because they kicked you out last patch - and getting that heroic version of your main hand weapon.

In DayZ, as much as the loot hunt is fun and being "fully geared" is an important goal for many, the real endgame is the encounter with other players that you will talk about for months. the very limited diversity of character and player model is irrelevant, if you read (and watch on youtube or twitch) the epic, funny, disgusting, terrifying, mindboggling stories of people who play DayZ. The avatar, bleeding or not, hungry or not, shaking or not - is just a tool, a medium. the real thing happens between players. it probably could be an 8 bit sprite, and it still would work.

Do you remember the green mountain stories? the mountain dew curse? the radio messages? the survivor stories thread? doc wasteland turning the metagame upside down by going out and suddenly healing people? those are individual stories. DayZ is nothing like your average RPG. its not about character progression - its about the gamer at the controls.

full disclaimer: author is a carebear and medic in the murderous, pvp oriented open world sandbox game DayZ and protection paladin tanking current content raids in the MMORPG World of Warcraft

thats boreing and unfun and why the mod died or have you forgotten that

Great ideas OP! What about a mass murderer, which goes insane, sees his former prey, suddenly aiming at them from around the corner. Sounds good.

My 0.02 - character progression should be subtle and limited to things like:

- body shape and physical capacity alters (subtly) with nutritional status, illness and physical activity

- beard and hair growth

- 'soft' skills - modifiers to a few areas that change with practice - aspects of the medical system (e.g. IV placement), weapon handling (e.g. soeed of reloading), starting fires (almost anything with a 'dice roll' style chance of success.

• Like 2

Well, I suppose, before I start, I'd suggest you take yourself away from the discussion unless you disperse your butthurt inflection. We're here, discussing. someone thinks it should be this way, and you think it shouldn't be that way.  Can you explain why you need to act so aggressive? Drop the attitude and we'll see this discussion become more than another of the typical DayZ forum threads. If you're right, you can prove it without your subtle mockery.

... etc

No butthurt here, nor aggression.  On the other hand, I sense the reaction of some thin skinned and sore patches.  The mockery is part of the deal when people can't see beyond the end of their nose.  It is not about right or wrong, but about how things are ... about being able to see potential already woven into the game and keeping that world open in the way BIS have done so well since OFP.

Others get it.  The players make the stories, the game provides the backdrop.  It really is that simple and lots of people enjoy it that way.  Flashpoint and ArmA's history speaks for itself.

All that I can suggest is that you wait for some modding tools, because disappointment may well turn out to be a probability looming on the horizon.  There are plenty of players, some of whom have already commented, that DO get it, can see the potential even at alpha and do understand what is on offer.

As for my last in-game encounter, like damn near all of them in DayZ, nothing at all like you describe.  Careful, that tar has dried out on the brush already.

Once again, assumption is the mother. 

What if survivors STARTED with different abilities ?

I mean, who's going to believe that ALL the survivors who wind up on the Chernarus shore have EXACTLY the same attributes and capacities ?

Come on...

They're ALL able of bandaging with the same efficiency... They can ALL repair a car's engine... They ALL can carry the same weight... They ALL can run the speed... They ALL need to drink and eat at the same time...

Make survivors different. This way, next time I bump into John Smith in Cherno, I might be better off asking him to heal my wounded friend rather than shoot him. 

• Like 1