Sign in to follow this  
Turin (DayZ)

Make ghillie suits / backpacks a tradeoff decision for players

This came up recently in the General Discussion, but i'll post it here as well.

Currently, if a player finds and puts on a ghille suit, their backpack is not shown, but they still have access to any items in it. To me, this seems overly convenient... not to mention unrealistic.

Instead, I think they should make it a tradeoff so that the player can't wear the suit and have a backpack at the same time.

Survivors who come across ghillie suits should have to make a decision whether to keep their backpack and the extra space it provides, or enjoy the benefits of being camouflaged.

That's a great suggestion. I mean, having a ghillie suit makes you undetectable as long as you crawl in the grass... that should definitely have a disadvantage. In Fallout 3/NV you can't be a stealth character if you have too many items, that's a good way to balance it :)

I think teh pack should just be shown on the suit. That way you can still have a pack, but it just makes you much easier to spot.

However, the Czech vest pouch/backpack would become more useful due to their camo, and in the case of the vest, its small size.

Uh... so you're saying that if the player has a ghillie suit worn he can't have a backpack? I'm sorry, but I don't like the idea, it's just my opinion..

It's interesting, i don't know about it though, you really need a pack in this game, the very limited on person inventory is next to nothing if you have a primary weapon with even a small amount of ammo for it.

Uh... so you're saying that if the player has a ghillie suit worn he can't have a backpack? I'm sorry' date=' but I don't like the idea, it's just my opinion..

[/quote']

Agreed, I'd imagine ghillie can be worn over backpack in reality (just get XL ghillie) and while it's bit stupid you can happily access the pack with the suit on am fine with that.

I wouldn't mind some drawbacks but losing backpack is seriously too high a cost, especially for loners (groupers could have others lug their stuff and in their case the other ppl in the group kind of give away the general position anyway, lessening the benefits of camo).

I see the merits of the suggestion but backpack is critically essential for prolonged survival, nobody would wear ghillie if it cost their that extra storage.

I'd imagine ghillie can be worn over backpack in reality

yep! totally

ALTHOUGH... I'm sure ghillies weren't designed with the bigger packs in mind. Ghillie is a snipers uniform and they tend to travel light. i think anything bigger than an alice should see some animation. checks and minuses! if you don't want to sacrifice stealth with a huge pack on, you should be able to throw it in the bushes and come back and grab it but risk someone coming across it if you don't hide it well enough.

additionally though, I don't think a big pack should sacrifice your stealth with zombies. they don't attack packs when they're sitting in a loot pile.

if anything.. if you're wearing a ghillie you should be able to spook the zombies and have them run away from you ;)

none of u have worn or made a ghillie suit before so im -1 this

Unrealistic? How is it unrealistic? Ghilli suit goes over pack, or pack gets extra cover. Can't access pack without taking it off your back but there's no animation for that, why demand change for ghilli suit? If you want realism add an animation for taking off the pack and opening it, taking time, and not being able to do another action, and add an animation for pulling up your suit or pulling off a camo'ed pack and opening it...or just leave it as is and accept that sometimes too much realism is too much. Either way, packs are worn with ghilli suits all the time.

It's unrealistic in the sense that the huge packs give off a silhouette (People often get spotted thanks to their packs) that the ghillie suit doesn't show.

If having a backpack buped the shape, it would be ok.

Right now, it's too many advantages over little to no risks.

It's unrealistic in the sense that the huge packs give off a silhouette (People often get spotted thanks to their packs) that the ghillie suit doesn't show.

If having a backpack buped the shape' date=' it would be ok.

Right now, it's too many advantages over little to no risks.

[/quote']

That's entirely different than the OP. OP says Ghillie suit or back pack. Here you are just saying it doesn't show. Yes, backpacks should show, whether they are covered like the ghillie suit or not. It's not unrealistic that they wear a pack with a suit, only that they have a pack and it doesn't show on the avatar.

Now we're actually onto something that makes sense.

I think its a good idea but you should be able to use a Czech pouch with a ghillie suit.

I think the back should be carried and showed aswell.

Only the czech puoch should be not showed (it's the only backpack you should carry without ruin your siluette and can be placed inside the ghillie).