Sign in to follow this  
godless

Airfield loot ruins this game. Please Read

Devs, please listen very carefully.

The entire soul of this game, its very foundation, is survival. What I'm seeing is people joining empty servers then running for the airfield or prison, looting the bloated items located there, then rejoining a higher pop server to play call of duty in town. 

Please do something about the loot dropped at these locations...ever since my friend showed me where to get all the best loot it has killed the soul of the game for me, I understand this is alpha and nothing is final but as of right now i'm disappointed in this mad dash to the airfield for loot then server hop rinse repeat. loot has to be random, scarce and limited in ammo. Every bullet has to count. Every can of food precious. Every encounter with another stranger an experience. 

Do something Rocket. 

• Like 2

Ill start off by  saying that the loot will probably stay the same for now, its not the loot which is the problem, its the server jumping. Rocket is working on that and this should solve the case.

• Like 3

Edited by Guest

The loot is definitely not the issue. Server hopping is the real problem.  This is difficult to mitigate in such a game and I trust in Rocket and Co,'s ability to work with the community to find the correct solution... For now, its just the alpha so there will be a year of playing around with different methods of handling this issue.

Continue to ponder the issue, who knows, maybe you'll come up with the solution that will be implemented in the end.

• Like 4

Once the zombie and server fps issue is resolved i can imagine one fo the deterrents they will use in military zones is increased amounts of zombies.

Devs, please listen very carefully.

The entire soul of this game, its very foundation, is survival. What I'm seeing is people joining empty servers then running for the airfield or prison, looting the bloated items located there, then rejoining a higher pop server to play call of duty in town. 

Please do something about the loot dropped at these locations...ever since my friend showed me where to get all the best loot it has killed the soul of the game for me, I understand this is alpha and nothing is final but as of right now i'm disappointed in this mad dash to the airfield for loot then server hop rinse repeat. loot has to be random, scarce and limited in ammo. Every bullet has to count. Every can of food precious. Every encounter with another stranger an experience. 

Do something Rocket. 

I agree in some aspects but the thing you need to understand is there has to be somewhere in this game that you know you can go to get gear. You can't rely on a hope that the farm house your about to walk into has a mosin and a couple rounds. You need to have a plan. For most people making their way to the airport/fire station/ barracks is the only hope or plan they have. The main problem that needs to be fixed is server hopping and rocket is working on it and I'm positive it will be fixed soon along with a character wipe as soon as the fix is implemented. You may also be new to the DayZ standalone but ever since the mod came out the game has had high yield loot at the airfields and military barracks and that wont change. Its how the game is. If having a place to go get a weapon to defend yourself from people who want to handcuff you.. possibly rape you.. then show a rotten apple down your throat to kill you, kills the soul of the game for you I'm not sure you're playing the right game.

Edited by mkoval

Military weapons and ammo should be more rare, yeah.. But before that, barns, farms, cabins, deer stand, etc should have good chance to spawn hunting rifles, pistols, shotguns, etc. imho

Aka i dont care to play 98% of the time with a double barrel shotgun and 2% with military weapons.. if i can actually find one. ^^

Edited by SixGunLover
  • Like 1

I agree in some aspects but the thing you need to understand is there has to be somewhere in this game that you know you can go to get gear. You can't rely on a hope that the farm house your about to walk into has a mosin and a couple rounds. You need to have a plan. For most people making their way to the airport/fire station/ barracks is the only hope or plan they have. The main problem that needs to be fixed is server hopping and rocket is working on it and I'm positive it will be fixed soon along with a character wipe as soon as the fix is implemented. You may also be new to the DayZ standalone but ever since the mod came out the game has had high yield loot at the airfields and military barracks and that wont change. Its how the game is. If having a place to go get a weapon to defend yourself from people who want to handcuff you.. possibly rape you.. then show a rotten apple down your throat to kill you, kills the soul of the game for you I'm not sure you're playing the right game.

and ever since people have complained about the overabundance of military loot and had high hopes that the SA would bring a change.

loot system needs a lot of love in the future anyway.. i dont mind the current availability as stuff needs testing, but later development stages should see military/high quality arms become very rare and spawn spots become less predictable

• Like 1

and ever since people have complained about the overabundance of military loot and had high hopes that the SA would bring a change.

loot system needs a lot of love in the future anyway.. i dont mind the current availability as stuff needs testing, but later development stages should see military/high quality arms become very rare and spawn spots become less predictable

^This^ in addition to the server hopping issue... I forget that some people are unaware of the massive influx and variety of loot that is still to come...

Patience OP... 

The loot system is not final - remember this is early alpha and the Devs want us to test the equipment.  No point introducing a new item if it spawns so rarely that no one can tell them if it works properly or not.

As stated before, the only reason that certain loot is so common is because there is not a whole lot implemented and it needs to be tested. When there is a larger abundance of items and weapons (both military and civilian), then the individual spawn-rates can be lower, but if the only real military weapons you have are the M4A1 and the FNX-45, then obviously they're going to be more common than in reality, as the only alternatives are the Mosin and .357 Magnum.

Obviously when guns like the IZH-43 (Double-barrel shotgun) and Ruger 10/22 are added, you will have more incentive to go looting at farms/civilian buildings, and guns like the SKS and Remington 870 would probably be found at both military and civilian spawns, making them good universal weapons.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

As stated above here this issue will most likely be solved as time goes by, and surely it's not how the devs want it to be with the final release of the game.

The way I see it though there are many reasons it has become like this, and here's my take on a possible future:

• Work will be done on a way to prevent server hopping, or at least make it a lot more "work"/wait to switch servers.  
  • Algorithms for respawn of new zombies while playing will make sure you are never quite safe.
  • In addition I would expect i.e. zombies around military bases to be armored, wearing helmet/vest, or something similar to protect them slightly, since they were most likely equipped soldiers when they turned.
  • Zombies will hopefully be much bigger numbers, making running into an area like open airfield a scary thing that requires a group effort.
  • If they also implement algorithms for respawning loot the servers will not have to restart all the time to ensure there's always loot around.  Loot algorithm could also be implemented in a way that it is more likely to spawn items away from where there are people.  This would lead to if people camp in/around military areas that less stuff would spawn there and it would encourage people to move around more.
  • And lastly, more content/equipment will surely be added as time goes by. Military bases will not be the only place you need to go to get "must have" loot, and this will encourage more moving around.

All in all it's a problem that by all accounts will be addressed, but it is in no way an easy solution or a quick fix to do so.

• Like 1

I think the idea of body-armoured, military zombies at the hotspots as a great idea. Lots of them even... This would mean players would have to work together (!) to get stuff.

"Ok, you run across that airfield and I'll grab as much stuff as I can while they're chasing you... We'll split the difference when we meet up." Is what you would say - To the other guy.

Edited by McBonkhead
  • Like 1