Sign in to follow this  
king_david

Getting thirsty/hungry to quick

Is it just me or is the thirst way to quick in this game?

When you first begin playing your already thirsty, and before you'd have time to get any food/water your already starving. maintaining proper hydration and nutrition is downright impossible. I am aware of the server/loot and the fact theres plenty of loot out there if you go north or if you are on an empty server or server thats just reset but honestly its downright ridiculous how fast the thirst/hunger levels drop.

I think they should drop like 200% slower or even more. This game has real life day/night cycles so really you should be ok with 2-3 meals a day, but this game forces you to CONSTANTLY eat and drink, 24/7, if you dont literally go to town after town, always finding food and using the wells, you will die quickly. Especially with the need for can openers/axes to open cans ect. 

It is almost impossible to maintain a healthy char at this rate. It shouldn't only be hardcore players who get enough food/water to survive but even casual players should do ok. And eating/drinking doesnt even do enough to fill up the food/water levels. If I'm dehydrated and "miraculously" discover water or a soda lying around to drink, I will still die 90% of the time afterwords because it just didnt do enough.

In real life if i was starving of thirst and found a water bottle, I'd be saved for atleast a couple hours if not a day.

Its not fun constantly running around in search of food/water and its not realistic. If i started running today looking for food/water, it would be a full 2 days before i dropped due to dehydration, without food I could go a month. The need to be in desperate search for food water at every moment in my opinion ruins this game. Within the first 45 minutes of playing if you dont have a good stockpile of food water its a good chance your dying. With the fact that the spawn locations are normally looted on most servers and it takes a good 45 minutes just to get to the untouched areas. As soon as you spawn, theres a good chance you wont make it an hour before you die. I understand this game is in alpha but do they intend on changing this?

While I do think just about everything comes on too quickly there is something people don't realize.  When you drink and your [Thirsty] goes away.  That doesn't mean you are "full".  It just means that you are not thirsty.  The same would go with food.  I don't know what the number is, but for example lets say the [Thirsty] comes one when your water is at 30% (completely made up), then you go drink X ml of water.  It may bring you up to 40%, 50%, but you are not fully quenched.  You are just at a point where your body doesn't tell you "Hey, I am thirsty."

At least that is how I understand it.  I could be COMPLETELY wrong.

1) Find a well

2)Drink from it, notice you have to repeat the drinking about 50 times, game will notice you when you full

3) eat some food

4) enjoy hunger/thirst free time! Should last long  :)

Eat larger portion sizes. Just because you don't have a hungry/thirsty indicator does not mean you are well-fed. 

In real life if i was starving of thirst and found a water bottle, I'd be saved for atleast a couple hours if not a day.

In real life, if you started running everywhere while starving and dehydrated, you'd probably die before you get anywhere far. Conserving energy, doing slow precise movement, preventing any sweating process and controlled breathing, that's what you'd need to do.... 

Stop running everywhere and you'll be just fine. I think it's recommended to drink 100-200 ml of fluids every 15 minutes for things like marathons, which is pretty much what your guy is doing when constantly running and load isn't even factored in yet I think.

in DayZ I walk a lot and jog only until character starts breathing heavily and I can go a long time without any need for food and water. Usually during travels I take 1 gulp of canteen every 30 minutes. I also can jog/sprint a long time before the character actually feels the effects, useful for when it matters.

When I reach town or have enough supplies, I take a breather every 2-4 hours, get as much food and water in the character as he can take until stomach is full. Usually, it's rice until satiated, then full water until full. That keeps the character in an healthy state overall.

If you fresh spawn, do NOT sprint/run everywhere or you might die before even finding anything to drink. Just try to locate a fountain, take your time, drink your fill, THEN start running to get some food.

• Like 1