Mojomaster001

Stream Sniping A Huge Problem

Stream sniping isn't the game dev's problems. If you're a streamer you accept that kind of stuff. It sucks but so does getting kos'd. Stuff like that happens regardless.

JP McDaniel was streamsniped, or so it seemd, yesterday. But he's prtty nubby too... ;-) still like his style. But really, more than "pls do not streamsnipe" will never work...it is just a matter of manners. Many guys would just love to battle Sacriel's team. I think it would be legit to find them via stream...but to use it to gain an unfair advantage? nah! I say NAY

its not a job, its a hobby. streamers dont deserve special treatment just because they have morons paying to watch them to play a game.

i suppose you would tell a artist to get real job as well then yea? or a kid playing football each week "stop playing around with your hobby and get a real job"? we all have hobbies but the lucky ones of us get to get paid for doing it. and i can guarantee that if some one said that  they would pay you to play this game you are already playing you would jump at the opportunity.

Even if it affects only a very small percentage of the player population, streaming helps a game get popular! If the streamers can't properly play then they might stop streaming and nobody will watch DayZ anymore.. which is sad.

If possible it would be nice that this issue is fixed in the future, but there are many more important issues right now so imo this one can wait a few weeks/months. It's an alpha after all, streamers have to deal with it atm.

This is the worst damn example people use all the time.  Streamers may bring in people, but streamers do not play shitty games.  They games they play are games that are popular.  There is a reason why DayZ streamers have so many viewers right now over the guys streaming WarZ.  DayZ is already a quality game and its presence on Steam alone does a hell of a lot more than any person streaming the game will.

I will go out on a limb and say that very few people out of the total sales of any game discovered it on Twitch or any other streaming site.  For example.  Right now I just looked on Twitch.  DayZ has around 30,000 people viewing streams.  15,000 of those are watching LIRIK.  The top like 5-6 people account for 26,000 of those views.  So when you are saying streamers like it is a major swath of people you are asking to put measures into the game which affect about 5-10 in reality  we will even say 50 people to account for the others with over 200 people watching.

Streamers may be fun to watch, but lets not perpetuate this idea that they are a massive group of people because it absolutely is not.

Edited by Doll8313

i suppose you would tell a artist to get real job as well then yea? or a kid playing football each week "stop playing around with your hobby and get a real job"? we all have hobbies but the lucky ones of us get to get paid for doing it. and i can guarantee that if some one said that  they would pay you to play this game you are already playing you would jump at the opportunity.

if he started to bitch and complain when he was told his art sucked? yeah I would tell him to get a real job.

You do know that streaming is a job for these people yea? They get paid to do it. By getting subscribers that pay €5 a month and sponcers they make a good living off it. What they can't do is play a game that is not enjoyable for there loyle viewers. Getting stream snipped if enjoyable for the stream snippets but they aren't the once subbing these guys so instead of making money the are losing it.

That's their problem now isn't it?

Why the hell should anyone care and why would you post here? It has nothing to do with DayZ whatsoever.

Any mod to just sink this thread into some off-topic dark corner or something?

I think you're missing some key aspects on your analogy there though.  This thread is asking the development team to spend time devoted to catering to a very very small amount of people in reality.  Your analogy would be more like the artist telling his small startup company that he needs to have time during the day and a space to do his paintings in.  

I always thought streaming DayZ seemed like a bad idea. "Oh here's my exact location and server info, don't kill me though okay?" Lol. Whatever happened to using fraps and posting your videos to youtube? At least then you can edit out the boring parts. 

I always thought streaming DayZ seemed like a bad idea. "Oh here's my exact location and server info, don't kill me though okay?" Lol. Whatever happened to using fraps and posting your videos to youtube? At least then you can edit out the boring parts. 

Streamers like to think there better at the game then youtuber's its really funny.

If you stream then you choose to put your name out there. If you put your name out there, expect people to look for you.

• Like 1

again because most of the big ones it is there job and they get paid a lot of money to do so. much more then they would have got uploading to YouTube.

think of it as a business you start at the bottom and work you way up, so start with YouTube get a good enough active subs and then start streaming and bring them subs and build up from there. going back to YouTube after that would be like taking a demotion.

So I have noticed a huge increase of stream sniping lately. Apperently there is a group that has been started on 4chan to go and stream snipe many streamers. It doesn't matter if you play offline on steam or change your name. All they have to do is find your name once and then track you though external tracking, eg: server tracking websites. These websites also have a way to see previous names of players so changing your name doesnt help.

Is there anyway that external tracking could be disabled for SA? That way you can stream and be offline on steam and not get stream sniped.

Woah, 4chan?! Anonymous is using shady server tracking websites huh? You mean like...

http://www.gametracker.com/games/dayz/

(A hugely popular server listing website ^^)

Gasp!

And there's a site that lets you see players' previous names?

You mean like...the Steam community profiles...on Steam?!

To be honest, if anything this thread will probably only attract more bored DayZ players to the "stream sniping" lifestyle.

Any claims that so-called stream snipers are taking rent money away from streamers is downright ridiculous. If a streamer has a legion of drooling fanboys it's not going to hurt their bottom-line...just their fragile egos, which can be easily repaired by claiming "HAX!" or something alone those lines.

No one is losing alienware sponsorships here.

As far as users in this thread who have claimed that these streamers are absolutely essential because they're bringing in droves of new players and must be protected and defended against any and all harm is also ridiculous.

Baby...DayZ don't need no hype. It's one bad mutha and all the ladies know it.

As far as those streamers engaging in bandit activities and trololol'ing and killing newspawns...what goes around comes around. As far as those, playing the part of the heroes I would direct you to the #1 bandit principle, "Deal with it."

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly
  • Like 1

I'm a southern boy that has worked to EARN everything he has his entire life. Spent the last years of my life in the military. I already have earned over 25000 throughout my young life so far. If anyone were to "pledge" that kind of money to me for anything? It would honestly go straight to the government with a letter telling those fucks to stop being dirt cheap (Literally) and burying dead soldiers 4ft under because 6ft is too expensive.Back on topic. Yes 25000 seems ridiculous. I only seen it on a bar next to him with the end goal, and the chat lit up with "Holy Shit" everwhere. Other than that I never caught the guy that actually "donated" that much. However I wont just dismiss it as fake the whole way. There are crazier things that have happened.

Wow, you are literally the dayz forum goer stereotype

Might I ask, are you also an outdoor enthusiast and navy seals black ops double agent sniper?

Fun fact.

Chernarus is 225 km2  in size.  While this is truly a large amount of space, it is still woefully insufficient to hold all of the f*cks I don't give about streamers being sniped.  

• Like 4

do i sense a bit of jealousy? me thinks so :)

Not at all. If I cared enough I would stream myself. I am not a big enough attention whore though to do it.

Sure seems like this is a problem with streaming rather then the game, it would just be a waist of resources to spent any time on this, especially since the game sold so well during the steam holiday sale without any discount and that is by far the best advertisement any game can get.

A lot of streamer hate here probably out of jealousy (Yeah, I get it.. you work hard, they play games for a living.. QQ). But this is why this is an important issue; Twitch is the number one way this game is advertised. When script kiddies and stream snipers make it impossible for someone to enjoy the game while streaming, there are potential buyers that pass on the game.  And if you think this is low priority you are out of your mind. Hicks is constantly in streams, in Lirik's right now as I write this helping him find a stream sniper in order to ban him. He is close friends with Sacriel and takes input on the game from him. I've heard that there are fixes on the way to make it harder to track players very soon, with a unique identifier that will be changing every few hours. Rocket and Hicks both have streamed to get info on the game; it is probably as effective as their Reddit presence. 

Streamers are one of the main reasons DayZ SA sold so well, so I'd hold off on just throwing this off as a non-issue and save the "get a real job" rhetoric for someone who cares.

As far as temp fixes, I would make a new Steam account with zero friends and get another copy of DayZ to stream on that account that no one can join.. and this is not full proof, but will buy you some time if you hide your server very well and change it often. 

I've killed a few streamers while playing the mod. Its so fun to see them rage ))))) live ))))))

Edited by raynor009
  • Like 1

A lot of streamer hate here probably out of jealousy (Yeah, I get it.. you work hard, they play games for a living.. QQ). But this is why this is an important issue; Twitch is the number one way this game is advertised. When script kiddies and stream snipers make it impossible for someone to enjoy the game while streaming, there are potential buyers that pass on the game.  And if you think this is low priority you are out of your mind. Hicks is constantly in streams, in Lirik's right now as I write this helping him find a stream sniper in order to ban him. He is close friends with Sacriel and takes input on the game from him. I've heard that there are fixes on the way to make it harder to track players very soon, with a unique identifier that will be changing every few hours. Rocket and Hicks both have streamed to get info on the game; it is probably as effective as their Reddit presence. 

Streamers are one of the main reasons DayZ SA sold so well, so I'd hold off on just throwing this off as a non-issue and save the "get a real job" rhetoric for someone who cares.

As far as temp fixes, I would make a new Steam account with zero friends and get another copy of DayZ to stream on that account that no one can join.. and this is not full proof, but will buy you some time if you hide your server very well and change it often. 

Then twitch should be the one to make changes not this game, this game was not made for them to make a living off of either deal with the snipers or stop streaming.

- Just change your profile name, hide server when you log, put a delay on stream, etc... There are dozens of ways to 100% solve the problem.

- Don't confuse hacker/scripters with stream snipers. One is not allowed and bannable offense, the other is totally legit and has no effect whatsoever on anything but the streamer, and actually not even that because it probably makes his stream more active and interesting.

- All you discussed here is in no way whatsoever related to DayZ in itself and affects NOBODY but a couple dozen streamers. Out of 800k+ sales, I hope that the team will not spend any time on that, especially now.

- Streamers probably have some effect on passing the word around but I don't think it's anything compared to Youtubers. They however help more probably in tightening a sense of community of sort among the people who watch them, which can be seen as good and bad I suppose.

- There is NO WAY Hicks is looking for a stream sniper to "ban him". I just don't believe that. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to ban someone who does this and even server owners are NOT allowed to do this. IF this is true, this is crazy and needs to stop...

- There is NO WAY Hicks is looking for a stream sniper to "ban him". I just don't believe that. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to ban someone who does this and even server owners are NOT allowed to do this. IF this is true, this is crazy and needs to stop...

To clarify, said stream sniper was also scripting somehow, teleporting himself to Lirik's location and posting messages on Direct Chat, but globally.

ALSO, I've seen Hicks lock a server to prevent people from entering it to stream snipe a female streamer playing DayZ for the first time... I've seen this first hand because I was in the server and on the stream. It's Alpha, I'm pretty sure they can still do whatever they want.

Edited by Satolbo

To clarify, said stream sniper was also scripting somehow, teleporting himself to Lirik's location and posting messages on Direct Chat, but globally.

ALSO, I've seen Hicks lock a server to prevent people from entering it to stream snipe a female streamer playing DayZ for the first time... I've seen this first hand because I was in the server and on the stream. It's Alpha, I'm pretty sure they can still do whatever they want.

Then don't mix the two together, it has nothing to do with stream snipping but with scripting, which it TOTALLY unrelated and therefore nothing to do with this post.

As to locking a server, it's indeed Alpha and they indeed can do pretty much whatever with the hive/server, especially for advertising reasons (which I suppose was partly why?). Don't think however they can ban someone for totally arbitrary reasons. In the future, be more precise, the implications of what you suggested were quite serious.

Edited by Mutonizer

Haven't been able to lock my server.  It's strictly a no-no on all server hosts.